PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Challenge 2 : Facial rigging

twidup
06-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Ok, rigging challange 2 officially begins today. happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy :)

Now on with the challenge.

This is a facial rigging challenge. The goal, a versitile facial rig capable of handling all ranges of facial requirements, from emotions to lip syncing.

The model, is provided by Alessandro Bonora , creature modeler at Framestore CFC.
It is an upper med res digi double head, with the idea that displacement maps will be applied at render time, and there for not provided for this challenge. The ONLY thing to do is setup the rig and weight it to provide the range of motion needed.
Head model is attached to this post.

Timeframe : Challenge begins today, June 24th, and ends July 24th...when a 1 week voting period will begin.

Thread Titling : Artist , group, software

Groups : This challenge will be broken up into two groups : Pros and Newbs :) pros are limited to anyone with professional experience rigging, this being more than 3 months rigging on a professional project. Newbs is fo everyone else.....so animators, if you want a chance to play with some rigging, join up in the newbs group.

ONLY COMPLETED RIGGINGS WILL BE VOTED UPON

wamo
06-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Hey guys,
first of all spacial thanks to twidup :)
today,I'll begin the rigging of the head and i'm so happy to join this challenge

--E.K--

deatheater4ever
06-25-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey Todd ,
the LoResHead zip file is corrupted.Can you post a better link please?

twidup
06-25-2007, 10:19 AM
how so? I just downloaded it here at work and extracted it just fine.

-todd

JamSession
06-26-2007, 08:15 PM
Is there a story behind this model? I generally add things in my rig based on what is needed in the storyboard/script.

Are there any limitations (game engine can only use bones, small studios don't have muscle simulation software ect.)

is the judging going to take into consideration whether it was bone driven or blendshape driven? Because bones are tougher to get great deformations as suppose to modeling in exactly what the pose looks like.

deatheater4ever
06-27-2007, 07:21 AM
how so? I just downloaded it here at work and extracted it just fine.

-todd

Hey Todd ,
sorry man.I just opened the zip instead of saving it and then extracted the contents into a folder.the model's great man!! I'll post my progress soon, thanks man.

twidup
06-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks Jared for that post actually.

So, once your rig is finished, please post a screen recording or a playblast of some simple animation to show the reange of motion and deformations your rig handles, I would suggest youtube as a hosting site, and post the link here.

As for judging, its entirely based on how well the head deforms, and what it can do.

-todd

coldfuse[ofX]
07-01-2007, 09:48 PM
hey guys i just wanted to leave a message basically saying that i probably wont be able to take Part in this challenge which is really annoying. I have been lucky enough to get a contract working at a games company for some experience and i will be away from my computer for a month, with no laptop to work on other things. I am still trying to be in the challenge but i know i just wont make it.

I will be apart of this thread as much as possible because i will still be trying to do this in my own time, but i guess this is how things go. Good luck to all.

xenoid
07-02-2007, 03:12 AM
What a pity Aaron. But all the best for your new job! :thumbsup:

Neomax
07-03-2007, 06:47 AM
i think the head is not perfectly symmetrical.

twidup
07-03-2007, 09:31 AM
very few people actually have symmetrical heads in real life.

-todd

lizardj
07-04-2007, 04:24 AM
that model looks alot like the actor samual jackson. its him isnt it? much props to the modeler:scream:

sp0rk3d
07-04-2007, 08:30 AM
neat a rigging challenge... i might have enough time to give this challenge a go... 20 days left it seems... well i'll see what i can do

omega3d
07-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Dang it, I wanted to join this one. Too late now, school starts in 2 days. I can do a cruddy rig by then haha. Of course, I have to study tho haha. Well, count on me to do another time.

twidup
07-10-2007, 12:57 PM
10 days left

twidup
07-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Yup, one week to go, so start posting the videos for your completed rigs.

Voting will begin on teh 22 and is open to everyone. Democracy rules here.

-todd

DangerAhead
08-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Okay... so who won?

twidup
08-10-2007, 09:56 AM
voting doesnt close till this sunday...gave two weeks because of Siggraph :)

-todd

kmr282
08-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey Tedup
I Downloaded ur zip file and extract it
its really a nice mesh file
I was late but
Thanks for ur mesh file from which i learn many things to explore

CGTalk Moderation
08-22-2007, 09:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.