PDA

View Full Version : character transform problem

adrianwatkins
06-23-2007, 02:56 AM
hi

I figure this may be easily solved - I hope! i have rigged a character and want to add a control to be able to freely translate and scale the whole character (mesh and rig) together. If i group them in the hypergraph , when i translate, the mesh and rig move at different speeds. i know 'delete history' solves this problem but if i delete history the whole skeleton detatches from the mesh?!

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
ADRIAN

ErikSvensson
06-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi there!

I assume you got a pretty standard rig, were the controllers end up parented to the hip, except for the legs if you use IK there. Same for the arms. Then you parent the hip controller, feet controller and the arms if it's free IK there to an controller that controlls everything. A circle on the bottom, a group or whatsoever. If all "free" objects in your rig are parented to this, then you can move and rotate the whole character. If you want to be able to scale you must add the hipbone of the character to the controller as well, just P-parent it. There you go, you can now move, rotate and scale the whole rig! :thumbsup: If something is unclear, feel free to ask.

Erik

deatheater4ever
06-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Select all your control curves ie; Back Ctrl,Left hand Ctrl,Right Knee Ctrl, whaterver u 've named the etc;.... and group them together. Call this group Control Curves group. Now select your root joint ,it maybe the hips and group it. Call the group the root joint group. Select all the IK handles and Group them together. call it the IK Group. Now create your Global Control just some curve used to translate rotate & scale your rig , any circle would do.Now select your Global Control (freeze its transformations first!!!) and then select ur Control curves group and do parent constraint and then also do scale constraint.do scale constraint to ur root joint group and also to your IK group

Caffre
06-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Sounds like the classic "double transformation" problem.

I expect what's happening is your geometry and deformers (ie. joints) are both parented under the global/master group you are translating/transforming.

If that's the case, then what's happening is that you're pulling the transform nodes of the geometry PLUS the vertices affected by the deformers.

One of the easiest ways to solve this is to group all the geometry under one group, and turn off "inherit transforms" for that group in the attribute editor. Now, when you pull the master group around, only the deformers are being transformed (and the vertices they deform).

Let us know if you've made any progress! :)

adrianwatkins
07-05-2007, 02:35 AM
thanks for all the help guys :)

ADRIAN

CGTalk Moderation
07-05-2007, 02:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.