PDA

View Full Version : Unknown symbol

kyrga
06-23-2007, 03:24 AM
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've looked everywhere, and can't figure out what this symbol is. It's from one of the sample scripts in Learning Maya 7. It's the circled one in the attached image. It's not << and it's not " but it looks kind of like a mix between the two.

trancor
06-23-2007, 08:40 AM
This isn't the full section of code is it. I've seen these before, but years ago. Before I really got into learning my code back when I was doing mainly html and javascript.

I'm asuming a little further down in the code there is a >> closing off the original << in the vector.

This code look a little strange for how its writen and how mel works syntax wize. It looks to me like simply the same thing as " but because it's used in the vector they are using those things.

I'm not entirely sure, but for how they are used, it looks to me like ` in the syntax of the code.

if you have something you are designating within quotes already, but you need to use a second pair of quotes, you'd use ` `

edit- they are setting the z in the $vrand vector. Oh and if you notice, syntax for the current mel wouldn't let $emitCmd += "-pos" + $pos + " "; work, it would need to be $emitCmd += ("-pos" + $pos); now.

kyrga
06-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Thank you very much, I'll try that.

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2007, 10:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.