PDA

View Full Version : How to Rotate Texture

BUZZFX
06-22-2007, 04:14 PM
I am selecting the flag texture from the Object Manager and in the coordinates I am typing a number to rotate the flag texture but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

AdamT
06-22-2007, 04:23 PM
The coordinates manager only applies to objects. You can rotate a texture either by rotating the object's UVs or by using the Layer shader's "transform" shader.

Per-Anders
06-22-2007, 07:07 PM
Or if you're using a standard projection and the texture axis/texture tools then you can modify the texture the way you're sugesting, but not the texture is a UVW texture as that's implicit to the surface and should be edited in Bodypaint.

BUZZFX
06-22-2007, 08:41 PM
The coordinates manager only applies to objects. You can rotate a texture either by rotating the object's UVs or by using the Layer shader's "transform" shader.

Adam,
To rotate the objects UV's would I have to go into Bodypaint?
also, what you mean by (you can rotate a texture by using the layer shader's "transform" shader.)

Or if you're using a standard projection and the texture axis/texture tools then you can modify the texture the way you're sugesting, but not the texture is a UVW texture as that's implicit to the surface and should be edited in Bodypaint.

Per-Anders,
I just created a new material and selected "load" image. I think it is mapped using UVW as the default. So I can't rotate it unless I go into Bodypaint?

Sorry guys I'm such a newb.

Per-Anders
06-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Well you can rotate it if you either a) Change it's projection method to anything but "UV" in the texture tag itself, or b) Go into bodypaint and use it's uv editing tools to rotate the uv's or reproject in there.

3DKiwi
06-22-2007, 09:27 PM
I would just apply the texture using flat mapping on the texture tag and use the texture axis tool to rotate it.

Also to assist you can get the rotattion correct and then use the "Fit to object" command from the Object Manager "Tag" menu to make the texture fit the object. I assume it's a plane object.

3DKiwi

vid2k2
06-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Just pulled a canadian flag off the web and dragged it to
a plane with the flag as a child and it mapped UVW perfectly.

Also mapped flat on the second image.

BUZZFX
06-23-2007, 02:22 AM
vid2k2,
You have helped me to narrow it down.

I think I know what I did wrong. I created a plane, then rotated it and deformed it, but when I rotated it I also rotated the UVW map. So now I will try and flip my map before I export it and see if that works or create a new UV map in Bodypaint.

Thank you all for the help.

AdamT
06-23-2007, 05:09 AM
Re: the layer shader -- add the layer shader to your color channel; load the texture into the first layer (click the "image" button and use the file requester). Then click the "effect" button and select "transform" from the menu. Now you can use the angle field to rotate the texture.

BUZZFX
01-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Re: the layer shader -- add the layer shader to your color channel; load the texture into the first layer (click the "image" button and use the file requester). Then click the "effect" button and select "transform" from the menu. Now you can use the angle field to rotate the texture.

Adam, could you please explain this to me. I usually load my bitmaps into th "color" channel. is this right? What do I do now. You said: "load the texture into the first layer" what do you mean and and what image button do I click etc.to ge the file requester?

I don't know why maxon makes it so ridiculously hard to rotate a texture. In Vue all you do is click a small rotate arrow. Simple and effective. All this just to rotate a bitmap from vertical to horizontal. crazy!

AdamT
01-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Adam, could you please explain this to me. I usually load my bitmaps into th "color" channel. is this right? What do I do now. You said: "load the texture into the first layer" what do you mean and and what image button do I click etc.to ge the file requester?

I don't know why maxon makes it so ridiculously hard to rotate a texture. In Vue all you do is click a small rotate arrow. Simple and effective. All this just to rotate a bitmap from vertical to horizontal. crazy!

Here you go: http://www.3danvil.com/tutorials/rotate_tex/rotate_tex.html

nycL45
01-11-2008, 12:01 PM
How about that. Thanks, Adam.

BUZZFX
01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah that's great Adam thanks a lot. That eplains it well. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2008, 02:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.