PDA

View Full Version : Some creature

Vilperi
06-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Hi everybody! Here's a character I've been working on a couple of days. Naturally because this a game art section, this is just the high poly version to generate normal map on the future low poly version.

Don't really know who this guy is, but I'm going to fill him with armours and stuff. It's like some huge intergalactic gladiator guy or something. The head is just a quick test, so ideas to improve it are welcome!

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2839/creature01jx7.jpg
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/6771/creature02sy9.jpg

OsharpO
06-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey

Its looks pretty good.

But i guess i cant say it more simple than this- youre hammerinig your toe with going on without the concept.
Basically your workflow wouldve been way better and quicker if you actually had a concept. Now you will have to decide "if" something looks good while modelling and pretty much nothing will fit.
Plus, we cant crit othger than "looks good" until we KNOW what youre going for basically.
Now is not a bad time to start on a concept as this is a fairly basic stage youre on.
the tail really gives off the "hey-it-looks-cool-ill-add-that" feel.

The anatomy looks pretty good form here. Could spend a wee bit more time on the chest imo.
but anyways, UPLOAD A CONCEPT damnit! XD lol

Vilperi
06-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Hey

Its looks pretty good.

But i guess i cant say it more simple than this- youre hammerinig your toe with going on without the concept.
Basically your workflow wouldve been way better and quicker if you actually had a concept. Now you will have to decide "if" something looks good while modelling and pretty much nothing will fit.
Plus, we cant crit othger than "looks good" until we KNOW what youre going for basically.
Now is not a bad time to start on a concept as this is a fairly basic stage youre on.
the tail really gives off the "hey-it-looks-cool-ill-add-that" feel.

The anatomy looks pretty good form here. Could spend a wee bit more time on the chest imo.
but anyways, UPLOAD A CONCEPT damnit! XD lol

You're absolutely right. I did draw some quick sketches on paper, but to be honest, most of the time I'm too lazy to draw complete concepts. :shrug: That's my big flaw in art. I should definitely try to change my habits.

On the other hand Zbrush is so fast piece of software, that the concept stage can be integrated to the modeling. I think many people tend to do this.

BTW do you really think the tail looks fake? Sorry for askin, but any ideas to improvve it?:rolleyes: (Now you start yellin "CONCEPT DAMNIT"):applause:

OsharpO
06-22-2007, 07:01 PM
I totally agree with the integration of the ocnept stage in zbrush along with the modellig- but hey! it WILL be better if there a concept. Just liek a rough sketch and NO..i will not approve of a concept when you say "i have it in my head" ...lol...beacuse once you draw it- you will find mistakes, inadequencies, balance- which you MIGHT not have thought of when thinking :)

lol, no need to be sorry for asking about improvements :P
I didnt mean that the tail looks "fake", it looks like it was made at the last minute. Even though thats the FIRST thing which you wanted to do in the model, the lack of concept makes my tummy cringe ;)
The main reason would be the anatomy issue with the tail connecting with the rest of the body imo. You need to deepen/smoothen/tighten up the connection as mcuh as you can :P

Looking forward to updates :)

RO
06-22-2007, 08:35 PM
I agree and disagree with the concept stage sometimes. I find it that sometimes the concepts can be limiting to the artist process. I have seen people make badass designs in zbrush with no concept before hand. Sure enough a concept does help you with a clear view of what you should model. But sometimes I think going with the flow can be really good also. Depends on what the model is of course. In the industry actually working etc it is different of course. Zbrush is really such an awesome program that sometimes I have seen modelers just use zbrush for the concept stage to make fast forms. Than bringing into a 3D application to make the correct topology. Work flows are different for each person imo.

Atm I am doing a project in which I am seeing that working first with zbrush than jumping to maya is best for me. Since I can work on the main forms instead of being held back by slow topology modeling in maya. And with the retopology tool that is out in zbrush3 hell I can see people using it like this more often. Zbrush imo has become more than just a tool for highpoly models but an actual modeling program that with the right flow can speed up the process even more than with the old zbrush.

Concept stage is important but when it comes to zbrush it is like working with clay and creating a figure out of nothing in which that in essence is a concept stage in one. It depends... Personally I work with concept and without concepts. Sure enough the projects with concepts go smoother but the funny thing is I tend to like the projects that just come out with no concept much more. I think concepts can be limiting.

-----
now as for the model looking great so far. Is it going to have eyes? as for the tail I can see how you could connect. This is just the basic mesh. looking forward to more seen some of your past projects :) I like the general form so far maybe add a bit more muscle forms into it. but really it depends on how you will go at it.

Vilperi
06-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks both of ya! Always nice to hear thoughts from other artists.

RO yes it is going to have eyes, very small and vicious ones. But most of the face/head will be covered with leather helmet. I'm not going to necessarily make him too muscular. I'm going for fatty forms. And because the skin will be covered with elephant-like wrinkles it would be pointless to concentrate on muscle definition too much.

Vilperi
06-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Hurray, I managed to draw some concepts! Very very crappy concepts!

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9384/beast01db9.jpg

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7097/beast02zj9.jpg

Vilperi
06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Update...
http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4930/creatureqt3.jpg

Rion411
06-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Coming along nicely.:thumbsup:

Havoc89
06-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Oh wow. That is already starting to freak me out. Nice work. Looks great thus far. Keep going! looks very promising!

johnwoo
07-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Very cool...dig the mass on this creature!...but overall he/it :D is lacking general and surface detail...definitely looking out for more...keep up the progress man...

Vilperi
07-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks guys! I've been a bit lazy with this project cause I've been studying human anatomy for other project of mine. I'll continue this one soon.

OrinCreed
07-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Despite its paunch that thing look formidable. I see you have eyes in the concept sketch but I really like the way it looks without them. Looking forward to more.

CGTalk Moderation
07-17-2007, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.