PDA

View Full Version : How to use Surface Shader

doms
06-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I've tried every combination of color and alpha and combined files and materials into a surface shader and can't get it to work properly. The best i've had is a 50% white background. Is there something obvious i'm missing here? Maya help files were typically useless.

What i'm trying to achieve is to make some background 'cards' for trees, so i only want the original image file/ transparency with no lighting etc

coccosoids
06-22-2007, 03:56 PM
If you are using bitmaps to map the transparency of smth inside maya you have to pay
attention at two things:
1. Turn "Default Color" in the file node to BLACK. If you are using anything inbetween the
file node and the shader itself (like projection for example) turn default color to BLACK
in those nodes too.
2. Alpha is Luminance - you'll find info in the help files about this.

misterJoj
06-22-2007, 04:19 PM
The transparency is always weird with the surface shader, but you can use a lambert and plug your collor texture in the color and ambiant slot and set the diffuse to 0, it will be like a surface shader, and won't have any problem with transparency

doms
06-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Thanx for the responses, i had to give up on the Surface Shader (?). In the end i combined all the cards, applied the texture to the color/ incandescence (blacked out background) and turned off FG/GI, Shadow, etc in the render stats. The diffuse to 0 is very useful tip. Thankz for your help again, i thought the surface shader transparency must work somehow but it looks like another Maya 'bug'.

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2007, 10:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.