PDA

View Full Version : The structure of man dvd, from a programmers perspective

luzarius
06-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I don't mean to double post...

I've been working as a programmer for 7 years and now for the last 6 months i've been crossing over into the 3d art/modeling world. You guys have so much more fun than coding. I hate coding officially. The problem I have is I have very very little artistic talent, vision, creativity and it really needs to be developed.

The structure of man dvd's show you how to draw and create a human from a technical stand point and for me that is a god send.

I'm actually drawing stuff that looks like a human and I understand it which is rare since I couldn't draw anything before the DVD.

I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who has no clue how to draw because it helped me a programmer understand the concepts of drawing a human.

Now if there is a structured technical way that shows you how to be creative, that would be ideal (lol)..

How to be creative
- Step 1
- Step 2

hah

Luzarius

fuss
06-21-2007, 10:00 PM
Hi, I'm in a very similar situation as you (programming for the last... uhm, at least 16 years, and working professionally as a programmer for the last 8 years and currently working on a career change to a 2D and *maybe* 3D artist) AND it just so happens I posted something about this very DVD set only a couple of minutes ago in this (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=177&t=507300) thread ;) (maybe both threads could be merged?):

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=177&t=507300

mortini
06-28-2007, 08:42 PM
I've heard friends mention 'i wish i could do x', where x is something artistic - singing, painting, whatever.

I think this article: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=177&t=485806 sums it up pretty well. You've got to DO it to actually get better at it.

Most of art seems to be about practice practice practice. Sure, there are natural-born geniuses, but, they're few & far between. You can look at almost any piece of art, and not see the hundreds if not thousands of sketches, drawings, other attempts that it took to get to that point.

Personally, one of the things I dislike generally about the way art is taught (at least in my experience) is looking at what other artists do. No matter what you do, you're not going to be Van Gough or Picasso. You're going to be you, and it's important to find your own style, as well.

For what it's worth, Van Gough was a failed artist that was actually pretty terrible at painting and drawing. If you look online, you can find the Van Gough museum and see some of his early drawings. It's important to understand that what he was trying to do at this poin tin his life was essentially to do what cameras do today - replicate real life. These early drawings and paintings are pretty terrible by that standard. It wasn't until he discovered impressionism and vivid colors did he start to create the art he's known for today.

So, get out and do it. You'll probably surprise yourself at how decent you can become with regular practice. The more you do art, the more you start to see the world in different ways, spurring creativity in it's own right.

So, instead of this:

How to be creative
- Step 1
- Step 2

It should be...
How to be creative...
- practice
- practice
- practice

Rist
06-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Even the geniuses needed to:

practice
practice
practice

How would you as an onlooker know what they did to create what they wanted? Their brains construction may have been developed in such a way that remembering things was a very fast process and was very fast to access without needing notes; but other than this, they too needed to practice to keep their drawing muscles exercised and their brain refreshed.

I do not believe anyone can create fantastic art with practice; this excludes some of the out-of-whack paintings in the modern period.

CGTalk Moderation
06-30-2007, 11:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.