PDA

View Full Version : Foundation vs. Essentials for my needs..

WoolyLoach
06-21-2007, 03:56 PM
I've been using the Foundation demo for a while now, and I love it! Already switched to eating Top Ramen so I can save up faster (lol)! HOWEVER (you *knew* I'd say that, right?), I see that Essentials has compositing and painting capability. Now, is that added capability sufficient to do "prosumer" type effects and postwork, or am I better off getting some second application for that purpose?

If it's good enough to do reasonable quality demo-reel/portfolio/indie film work, I'll just save up for longer (unless there's an upgrade path from Foundation to Essentials that doesn't cost more than just saving up for Essentials from the word go).

All information appreciated. I'm definitely going with XSI, I'm just trying to determine which one! I want to put together something to submit to Spike and Mikes Sick and Twisted festival, that's why I'm thinking the extra compositing/paint functionality would be nice.

JDex
06-21-2007, 04:35 PM
What specifically do you intend to paint? I've not personally found the painting abilities in the FXtree all that useful, but we all have different needs.

As for the compositor, do you already have one that you use? I love the FXtree, and while it's a huge feature that makes the ESS package worth the extra cost, I wouldn't say that it's enough to justify it if I already have something to comp i.

WoolyLoach
06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi! I have a number of OBJ files that are untextured and was thinking I could do something with them in XSI, otherwise I have alternative options.

Right now the only thing I have for compositing is *sigh* Magix Movie Edit Pro 12 (don't laugh, it's basically workable for cheap quick n dirty compositing). I'm sure *anything* is better than that, I'm just wondering if I can get away without coughing up cash for another application. Otherwise, I guess I'll stock up on Cup O Noodles in preparation for some serious cash outlay!

I know there's no such thing as a "one size fits all" application, so I'm not looking for perfection, just "good enough".

And thanks for responding! I'm trying to work my way from "amateur" to "indie artist", I expect a long and rocky road..!

SheepFactory
06-21-2007, 05:06 PM
You cant paint on your 3d models in the compositor like you would with body paint or something similar. XSI does not have 3d paint. That said the compositor is indeed very helpful for a lot of things. And it is not just the compositor you get with essentials you also get RBD's , Gator , Motor , Scops and some other tools. In my opinion its worth saving up for if your goal is to make short films.

WoolyLoach
06-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks SheepFactory! I'm definitely looking at short films in the mid-term, probably also getting involved in vfx for indie productions around here (there's actually a decent indie film community in the SF Bay Area, although I'm not really as into it as I need to be yet).

I'm going to contact Softimage and see if there's an upgrade path from Foundation to Essentials, so I can get started earlier.. if not, I'm going to go ahead and save up for Essentials.

Thanks for all the input! :-)

cresshead
06-21-2007, 08:13 PM
i believe that there's an upgrade path from foundation to essentials that basically takes the cost you paid for xsi foundation ''off'' the list price for xsi essentials...so getting foundation now would not ''cost'' you later..it woudl actually save you some cash...

JDex
06-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I would look to Soft for confirmation... I'm confident that cresshead's summation is correct, with the major missing note that if you buy FND 6.01 and a new paid release is debuted (i.e. 6.5 or whatever they number it), you'd get no upgrade path unless they offered a promotion.

Get the info from Soft direct to be a wise purchaser.

solagratia77
06-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Already switched to eating Top Ramen so I can save up faster .......

I urge you to get Foundation and eat properly.
No Kidding.

dwigfor
06-21-2007, 09:47 PM
If you don't own Photoshop, try out Gimp. It's free/open source. There's also an opensource compositing program, but I forget the name. Nice thing about FXtree is it's integrated. So you can modify the textures in the fxtree and see them on your model. Checkout the free video on SI for the new Morphing plugin-old Elastic Reality tool incorporated into XSI!

lukasdesign
06-22-2007, 08:50 AM
go for blender! it's a full 3d application with a nice compositor (also node based!) integrated. it should do a nice job for a demo reel. so you can do modelling in foundation, render it with Mental Ray and do the compositing in blender! btw blender is able to do some nice liquid and softbody stuff too! so u can own quite a complete pipeline for some 500 bucks..

Has a good community too here on cg talk!

WoolyLoach
06-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Lots of good info here! Thanks! :)

I've emailed Softimage about the upgrade path, nothing back yet, but I suspect it's "pay the difference" which I don't have an issue with. I'd really rather eat more than Top Ramen (lol)!

As to Blender.. well.. sorry, the UI gives me an hours-long headache. Plenty of power under the hood, for sure, but I can't get past the interface, it just doesn't work for me. :sad:

mocaw
06-22-2007, 05:27 PM
go for blender! it's a full 3d application with a nice compositor (also node based!) integrated. it should do a nice job for a demo reel. so you can do modelling in foundation, render it with Mental Ray and do the compositing in blender! btw blender is able to do some nice liquid and softbody stuff too! so u can own quite a complete pipeline for some 500 bucks..

I looked into comping with blender and found that it uses some odd coordinates for things like motion blur etc. So integrating it with other packages isn't always that easy. Still it couldn't hurt to learn it for the liquids etc.

While I wouldn't say AE is the greatest, you can find older copies that will let you do quite a bit for under 100 bucks on ebay.

Consider taking a class:

If you're a student you could also just get the video suite adobe sells for around I think $500 which comes with AE, Premiere, Photoshop and more.

Yet another alternative is to get a student version of LW for the particles and basic physics, a copy of the full point oven, and XSI FND.

And something to consider is taking a class- maybe something on scripting, drawing, of Photoshop at a local community college for cheap- and then get XSI advanced for I think $200 bucks!
That's an amazing deal no mater how you slice it!

PS- I use FND for short films (one not so short at 28min) and illustration and it's suited me well. You have some real limitations when it comes to asset management with FND (ref models for example) but over all it's the most powerful application for $500- you will not find better animation tools for less or even much more. The fact that it has guides for making rigs will help you out early on.

I'd encourage you though to look into ZB or mudbox as additions to your pipeline- these can seriously improve the speed of which you get things done if your projects reqire many detailed models. Jermey Birn's digital Lighting and Rendering 2nd addition should also be purchased as well as Steve Wright's Digital Compositing for Film and Video IMHO. Don't over look the power of knowledge!

SheepFactory
06-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Can someone start a discussion here without one of you blender fanboys pimping blender? You guys are like door to door bible salesmans.

chalbers
06-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Can someone start a discussion here without one of you blender fanboys pimping blender? You guys are like door to door bible salesmans.

Blender Witnesses ?

WoolyLoach
06-22-2007, 09:03 PM
Please, no squabbling! :twisted::D

I do own ZBrush, which I got at V1.5 back at one of the Computer Game Developers conferences. I haven't fiddled with it much since I've mostly been working on inorganic stuff as props (buildings etc.). I suppose I should grab some training DVDs and dive in, I think it works OK with XSI. I have Silo, which I really like for some things.. the 10a beta of V2 is working pretty well for me and the OBJs it generates seem to load well (except for a materials bug, but I reported that).

Mocaw, thanks for the book recommendations! They're in my Amazon wishlist now (lol). Classes are a good idea, although finding something that I can take without impacting my day gig is a serious pain. It sucks to have to pay bills!

lukasdesign
07-03-2007, 08:25 AM
well i just consider knowing more than just one app a plus! If you would take the time to read my post you could see easily that I'm suggesting blender just as an additional package in this case for the the compositing part due to the fact that's it's free.

btw maybe you are more like a catholic fundamentalist just definding what you once got, without looking left or right: it might hurt you but there loads of other good 3d apps out there...softimage is not the only one...

TheLostVertex
07-04-2007, 01:11 AM
it might hurt you but there loads of other good 3d apps out there...softimage is not the only one...

Ironicly, I believe SheepFactory is currently using Maya. What a twist! :scream:

As to the actual topic, I would say if you are planning a short film, then I would go with Ess. Gator, RBD, and Scripted ops are very useful features to have depending on the scenes you have in mind.

Also, you really should get a real meal to eat. Food > Software.

-Steven

SheepFactory
07-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Ironicly, I believe SheepFactory is currently using Maya. What a twist! :scream:

XSI 4 OSX PLZ! ;)

I love osx too much.

ThE_JacO
07-04-2007, 05:29 AM
XSI 4 OSX PLZ! ;)

I love osx too much.

omg, can we please have a thread where nobody pimps osX?
wtf are you macolytes, door to door bible salesmen? :p

SheepFactory
07-04-2007, 05:32 AM
It just works! (tm)

ok , i'll stop now :)

TheLostVertex
07-04-2007, 05:37 AM
wtf are you macolytes, door to door bible salesmen? :p

Ill sell you mine if you're feeling left out :thumbsup:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/3813/applecomputerpb2.jpg

-S

MikeMD
07-04-2007, 07:34 AM
It just works! (tm)

Does it?

3 machines here, running Win XP and Win 2K. One crash ( due to windows, and not a bug in some app, but even those are rare ) in combined 4 years of running. ( no joke )

On the other hand, the most common thing I hear from my Mac friends is: "I love it, but it's been freezing a lot lately"

I say, Foundation, then see how it goes, Forget about macs and blenders ( unless you want to stick a real macintosh apple into a real blender, add some bananas, OJ and make a nice frappe )

JDex
07-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Alright... seriously now, please let's not let this thread go further down the apple-chute into the blender. :thumbsup:

mocaw
07-04-2007, 04:29 PM
If you have the money I concur that ess. is the way to go. If you're working on even a "real" indie film budget this shouldn't be a problem. Maybe you could work up some preliminary cuts in FND and then try and get finical backing with those?

When you're working on your own funding is going to be as much if not more a creative process than the actual film!

Sbowling
07-05-2007, 03:00 AM
It just works! (tm)

ok , i'll stop now :)

You must have a different OSX than we have where I work. It gets real fun when we try to plug in two firewire drives at the same time. *poof* :thumbsup:

Anyway, I say go with Essentials. The extra features are great, and the FXtree is so much more intuitive than afterFX.

XeroWolf
07-05-2007, 04:25 AM
I'm also saving up to get Foundation and one of my main goals is to get into making short films. I think it's a good idea to get Foundation first and then upgrade to Essemtials if you really need the extra features.
I just downloaded the demo a couple of hours ago and I'm going through the basics. I've been using Max for a while now and I've gotten pretty good with it. They use Max at cable company my brother works for so I get to use it for free:D. I've finally decided to switch something that I can actually afford.:p XSI Foundation looks like a good choice with just the features I need for the right price.

Just thought you'd like hear given our similar situation.

unchikun
07-10-2007, 12:31 PM
You can get XSI for educational purposes for a very good price. Non-profit also qualifies for a discount. Scan ebay for nice deals as well if you need a commercial license.

Photon4D
08-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Hello, did you get anything back from them already ? I have XSI foundation and want to know how much it will cost to upgrade but I just cannot find any info. on their site. I email them too and still no reponse yet.

Thanks SheepFactory! I'm definitely looking at short films in the mid-term, probably also getting involved in vfx for indie productions around here (there's actually a decent indie film community in the SF Bay Area, although I'm not really as into it as I need to be yet).

I'm going to contact Softimage and see if there's an upgrade path from Foundation to Essentials, so I can get started earlier.. if not, I'm going to go ahead and save up for Essentials.

Thanks for all the input! :-)

cresshead
08-08-2007, 02:11 PM
last i heard [if you have current xsi foundation] they take off the rrp of foundation off of the price of essentials if you upgrade to xsi essentials.

Photon4D
08-08-2007, 06:21 PM
last i heard [if you have current xsi foundation] they take off the rrp of foundation off of the price of essentials if you upgrade to xsi essentials.

Yup I heard that too and it probably sounds stupid but I really cannot find any upgrade infomation in their site. I believe that information must be hidden somewhere but I honestly don't understand why they design their site that way. :sad:

cresshead
08-08-2007, 06:35 PM
you may be best to give them a call or email on the subject...their website redesign lost some of the more inertersting facts and information on xsi in the rebuild.

MarkInTx
08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
you may be best to give them a call or email on the subject...their website redesign lost some of the more inertersting facts and information on xsi in the rebuild.

Is it just me, or does it seem that XSI FND is treated like a mistake that SoftImage wishes would go away? You almost have to know it exists before you can find it to order it. I wonder if in 7.0, you won't be able to buy it at all?

Still, an amazing value for price, IMHO. I think that's part of the problem... you get so much for $500, it kind makes what you get for the next $1500 pale by comparison (oh wait -- now it is $2500!)

With the new pricing, I think you'll need to change to bread and water!

Photon4D
08-08-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh, you are not alone and I kind of feel that way too. It seems to me that they don't want us to find the foundation upgrade infomation so easily and their order system is only good for new customer. Very weird and confusing .

teamcarlisle
08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
I was wondering, does the BHairy plugin have any kind of dynamics that will work in Foundation, or is it more for Still shots?

I'm really stuck deciding between foundation or essentials, especially now that there's a time limit on the low price of essentials. I can make do with the basic cloth instead of Syflex, but I really need some kind of hair/fur that animates well. I'll actually be using xsi more for game art, but I want to be able to make great looking cinematic videos as well.

mocaw
08-09-2007, 06:55 AM
You guys are running a conspiracy theory here. It's been stated on XSIbase by an employee that FND is still alive and kicking. 6.5 isn't so much to address issues as to repackage and re bundle ADV and ESS. That's why files can be transfered back and forth between the point releases.

What is so hard about finding it? go to softimage.com, click on products and look down in the lower left- why it's XSI FND!!!

I guess they don't want you to know about it...give me a break! Click on that and you'll get a section just for it, with downloads and a link to HOW TO BUY...

And did anyone try the downloads section maybe or use their original download link? If all else fails you can always contact them- they've been very helpful with this lowly FND user in the past.

What do you expect for $500? I've been using FND since 4 and loving it- next to my copy of ZB it's the best $500 I've payed for any software! Keep on moaning though...and see if anyone feels sorry for you...

bravmm
08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Don't worry mocaw, this will go on for a while.... Peopleare just too lazy to check it out themself and rely on rumors.....

Just ignore it all untill the dust settles......

MarkInTx
08-09-2007, 12:16 PM
You guys are running a conspiracy theory here. It's been stated on XSIbase by an employee that FND is still alive and kicking. 6.5 isn't so much to address issues as to repackage and re bundle ADV and ESS. That's why files can be transfered back and forth between the point releases.

Ha! If the Warren report didn't stop the JFK Theories... you think one employee on XSIBase will stop these? ;-)

What is so hard about finding it? go to softimage.com, click on products and look down in the lower left- why it's XSI FND!!!

Geez... I'm not going to get into a shouting match with you Mocaw... to me, I see it differently, that's all. Ever read the book "Don't Make Me Think?"

It's all about web design, and how web pages should be intuitive. Maybe I am just expecting too much. Maybe this is just bad web design.

However...

The XSI FND is "Below the fold" so to speak, which is to say I can't see it unless I scroll down. However, I see SOFTIMAGE|XSI very plainly. Hmmm... isn't XSI Foundation called "SOFTIMAGE|XSI Foundation?" Must be that will get me where I want to go, right? So, I click the link.

But that's not what I see. I see only Essentials and Advanced. That -- to me -- is not intuitive. Maybe it's just a strange web design -- or maybe I'm just an idiot... but to me, that is not the most intuitive place to put a product I want to sell.

So, now consider this: think of the press release... does it even mention FND? Is FND not going to be 6.5 now as well? Was there no bug fixes or whatever for FND? You have three products, all moving to rev 6.5, but you only mention two of them...?

Look, everyone can have their on opinions. And I think that Softimage is making the best decisions that they can for their business -- which in the end benefits every XSI user. I'm not criticizing them.. I am only making an observation.

Sorry that seems to have upset you so much...

What do you expect for $500? I've been using FND since 4 and loving it- next to my copy of ZB it's the best $500 I've payed for any software! Keep on moaning though...and see if anyone feels sorry for you...

I'm not sure I understand this, Mocaw. Please show me where I have ever criticized Softimage for the quality of their software. In fact, I seem to remember saying that the $500 for FND was "amazing value for price".

3dtutorial
08-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Whoa.... calm down everyone :)

Look, this kind of thing seems to happen every year, it's called miscommunication and it happens during the SIGGRAPH silly season.

Keep in mind that most of the people who issue press releases and so on are out of town at SIGGRAPH and it's just about the most busy time of year for everyone in this business.

These kind of releases and communications get issued most times during the last minute before and during the SIGGRAPH event, so.... often times things get a bit F'd up.

Just relax, things will normalize after the show, questions will be answered and hopefully the miscommunication and misunderstandings will be sorted out to everyones satisfaction.

I'm not saying that I don't fully agree that this can be very confusing for the new user, or people who are just trying to find out more information about XSI during this period.

Just take it easy and relax in the knowleget that your questions will get answered when everyone returns from SIGGRAPH and has had a bit of time to deal with the hangover :)

Cheers,

Joe

Photon4D
08-09-2007, 03:14 PM
"....Keep on moaning though...and see if anyone feels sorry for you..."

Feel sorry for whom ? me ? Please don't ! I don't even need it at work and we use Maya and Max only.

I didn't criticized SofeImage/XSI either, all I want is to find the upgrade info. on their site and now I am being called lazy ?! FYI, I did email them and no reponse yet.

mocaw
08-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Look, in MHO the website DOES kind of suck at times and I liked the older one better...clean and to the point. This isn't a consiracy though! Really!

Softimage doesn't give "upgrades" to FND. Point releases that address bugs etc. aren't normally considered upgrades as far as I know by Softimage. Are you talking about going from FND to ESS. or Advanced? If so the current knowledge is that they'll deduct the price of FND from your purchase of either of those. I believe the same is true for Ess.-> Adv. There are FND "upgrade" bonuses sometimes when a major release comes out you get a small chunck of change out of the main price- right now I wouldn't expect any of that as there isn't a major release planned soon (that I know of).

If you're talking about a point "upgrade" to FND, right now there isn't one because besides the repackaging of all three packages there hasn't been any changes hence FND stays at 6.2. They have said there will most likely be a service pack release and then it will be upgraded to 6.x respectively.

In the meantime, since you don't even use XSI why don't you just download and use it for 30days- if you buy it afterwards and don't install it, you'll be ready to rock. That should tide you over while you wait for your response.

Hold tight and trust me when I say that softimage support is very good and they are often quite generous to boot.

"....Keep on moaning though...and see if anyone feels sorry for you..."

Feel sorry for whom ? me ? Please don't ! I don't even need it at work and we use Maya and Max only.

I didn't criticized SofeImage/XSI either, all I want is to find the upgrade info. on their site and now I am being called lazy ?! FYI, I did emailed them and no reponse yet.

Photon4D
08-09-2007, 06:53 PM
mocaw, I have FND already and what I am looking for is how to upgrade from FND 6 to Ess 6.5. I never say their service is not good and actually I have smooth communication with them when i placed my order for FND 6.

I don't use it at work but I would like to see whta it has to offer compared to Maya and that's why I bought it myself in the first place. All my complain is the way they design their site, I just cannot find any official information about ugrading from FND to ESS in their store.

I will wait for their response and probably call them when i have time.

Thanks for the info.

bryann
08-09-2007, 08:31 PM
I think they're aware of the website issues.

http://www.xsibase.com/jobs.php?detail=1296

Benr
08-09-2007, 09:50 PM
I was wondering, does the BHairy plugin have any kind of dynamics that will work in Foundation, or is it more for Still shots?

I'm really stuck deciding between foundation or essentials, especially now that there's a time limit on the low price of essentials. I can make do with the basic cloth instead of Syflex, but I really need some kind of hair/fur that animates well. I'll actually be using xsi more for game art, but I want to be able to make great looking cinematic videos as well.

It does not have true dynamics. You can animate the control guides however you want. There is also a very fast fake dynamics which allows you to mimic gravity and have the guides interact with the generating polymesh as well as eachother. This is probably most useful as a styling tool, but can also do some simple dynamics. There is a short video on the web page showing it.

Ben

08-10-2007, 12:00 AM
I am so interested in Ess now, particularly the $1999 deal to get 6.5. However, as a newbie who want to learn XSI and use for my own anumation as hobby, I kind of concern about the typical upgrade price.
Can someone tell me how much nor,ally it is. Let say from 5 to 6 in US$.

I concern because it might take me 4-5 year to learn and be able to use XSI due to my time. Or I just don't upgrade after this because Ess 6.5 seem to be all I need.

Thanks,

bryann
08-10-2007, 12:21 AM
ESS upgrade price is $999 or you can go on annual maintenance at $799 which comes with support.

08-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Without making money from XSI, it sound like I need to stick with Fnd. Yeap, I am cheap.

Thanks,

MikeMD
08-10-2007, 03:17 AM
$1999 for essentials if bought before september.

Will they deduct cost of foundation from that too?:thumbsup: making it around $1500

If so, I'm buying it tomorrow.

SFDD
08-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Hey all:

Regarding the suspected demise of Foundation, take a look at this photo taken by CGChannel at one of the Softimage events at SIGGRAPH. It cleary shows they still see Foundation as part of the overall product line. Whether that changes in the future is anyone's guess, but for right now it seems to still be part of the product family:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11121167@N07/1046688543/

The thing I wonder about is their business model. I could see the $500 Foundation entry point being intended to increase user base. And the previous $2000 price point of Essentials seemed like a somewhat easy step up from Foundation. But at the new price point, it seems far less likely that the average Foundation user will make that leap.

Think about it:

Buy Foundation for $500.
Then, spend another $2500 at somepoint to upgrade that single seat license to Essentials, or just spend $2,000 and buy yourself a totally new seat of Maya Complete. A best of both worlds option? I'll bet we can all think about things to do with the extra $500.

I can see how individuals looking to find jobs in CG might opt for the Foundation/Complete option because it brings them up to speed on both apps, making them more employable. But studios might also see that as a good bet because they end up keeping two artists busy instead of just one.

And imagine the nightmare this becomes for Softimage when of one of those 6 companies they say are working on alternative render engines for XSI decides to make a single license of their engine work for both XSI and Maya--once license, use it in both products. Then, any budget that might be reserved for an upgrade to Essentials might end up in the banks of Chaos Group, Pixar, Maxwell, etc.

Ironically, Crosswalk might come back to bite Softimage in the butt by making it too easy to integrate with Maya, now that Maya Complete is a more "affordable" option to Essentials.

But this might all be a moot point if Autodesk ends up buying Foundation just because they had their check book out and no one was paying attention. ;)

Or, maybe AVID decides they want to stop fighting with Autodesk and Adobe stands up and says, "We'll fight with Autodesk." Isn't XSI overdue for a new owner by now anyway?

Okay, forget all my speculation: just look at the photo.

Rhs_CG
08-10-2007, 07:17 AM
Until Sept. 6th, Essentials is still $1995, with a free upgrade to 6.5.

And Foundation is still version 6.02 because the core didn't change. Features and prices changed packages, hence the appearance that Foundation is lacking; but it will still be around. I can't remember the XSIBase thread, but somewhere they quoted Softimage on that point.

stblair
08-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Foundation is not discontinued.

// Steve Blair
// Softimage Support

MarkInTx
08-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Whoa.... calm down everyone :)
Joe

Hehehe... Joe, I am completely calm. No worries...

Look, in MHO the website DOES kind of suck at times and I liked the older one better...clean and to the point. This isn't a consiracy though! Really!

You mean that a bad website is not the sign of a clandestine conspiracy? Damn... you sure? You ever see the CIA's website ;)

Hold tight and trust me when I say that softimage support is very good and they are often quite generous to boot.

I agree with that. Anyone who read my long post about my contact with SoftImage during my trial would remember - One of the main reasons I switched from LightWave to XSI was the people at SoftImage...

MarkInTx
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
But this might all be a moot point if Autodesk ends up buying Foundation just because they had their check book out and no one was paying attention. ;)

Or, maybe AVID decides they want to stop fighting with Autodesk and Adobe stands up and says, "We'll fight with Autodesk." Isn't XSI overdue for a new owner by now anyway?

SFDD: Wow, and I thought I was seeing a goblin around every bush! Seriously, I think that the future of 3D lies in every artist using what they are most confortable with, and the pipelines allowing easy integration to make that possible.

Look what happened to the 2D world, and business app world. I can drag and drop a picture from Photoshop into Powerpoint. Once upon a time, that was impossible.

Crosswalk - and products like it -- are going to ultimately play in XSI's favor (IMHO) because without being a good citizen, you will never fit into studios that already have a huge investment.

As for Maya, IMHO, it is living mainly on reputation right now. It seems to me that the feature gap has closed significantly. Many users "know it" and no one wants to switch from an app when they don't have to. What I hear from Maya users constantly is: "If you want to get a job in 3D you should learn Maya because every studio today uses Maya..."

That, to me, is not a ringing endorsement of an app. That is not telling me it is better -- just that it is entrenched.

And almost no software is so entrenced that it cannot be uprooted. Anyone remember CPM? Or how about Wordstar word processing program? I can go through a list of entrenched programs that are no longer even in business.

3dtutorial
08-10-2007, 01:34 PM
....Anyone remember CPM? Or how about Wordstar word processing program? I can go through a list of entrenched programs that are no longer even in business.

Wordstar - Who could forget that application, not me, that's for sure!

Cheers,

Joe

MarkInTx
08-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Wordstar - Who could forget that application, not me, that's for sure!

Cheers,

Joe

OK, I'm sorry for taking this thread hoplessly off topic... but (believe it or not) I have a favorite Wordstar story (Blame Joe :) ) :

William F. Buckly was being interviewed once for a magazine profile, and the writer noticed that he was using Wordstar on his computer to write his latest novel. The writer said: "Mr. Buckly, I am somewhat surprised to see you using Wordstar. Surely, you realize that there are better word processors available. Don't you?"

To which he replied: "Yes, I have been told that. But I have also been told there are better alphabets..."

luceric
08-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Buy Foundation for $500.
Then, spend another $2500 at somepoint to upgrade that single seat license to Essentials, or just spend $2,000 and buy yourself a totally new seat of Maya Complete. A best of both worlds option? I'll bet we can all think about things to do with the extra $500.

The difference is that Maya Complete doesn't have Hair, Fur and Cloth included like XSI Essentials does, you need Maya Unlimited for this.

Obizzz
08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
And the fact that Maya sucks :D

j/k just not my personal preference and I have to put up with it at work :/

CGTalk Moderation
08-12-2007, 07:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.