PDA

View Full Version : Character Rigging Demo

KAMAKAZZI
06-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Hi all,

Here is my character rigging demo. A lot still needs to be done. Hopefully I can have time to create tutorials to share. I hope yall enjoy.

Cypher's Demo (http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=689232&fr=yfp-t-501) at Yahoo
Cypher's Demo (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2971175300637864736) at Google

Respectfully,

Cypher
www.CypherMesh.com (http://www.CypherMesh.com)

exigolight
06-26-2007, 05:53 AM
nice rigging!!..

KAMAKAZZI
06-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Modelviz,

Loved your portfolio as well as the squirrel, jaguar (car), Mega Raptor, Dragon, Sabortooth and other composited stills.

I like your compositing approaches and was inspired. Have you worked with blue and screen technology/techniques?

Keep up the awesome work!

I know I am--got a lot I am updating and modeling. Can't wait to finally rig them and add animated textures as well as animated procedurals and make a controller for them.

Thanks for digging the rigging, cant wait to put animated clips and tutorials on my site.

With utmost respect,

Cypher

ErikSvensson
06-26-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi there! Can you upload a larger video with higher resolution? It's really hard to see just about anything but movement now. The joints aren't so visible, the controlls gets hidden, and most of all you cant read the texts to see what you are showing. Make a larger one on google video and i'll have a look again. It seems interesting. :)

Erik

Edit. Ok the yahoo one had better quality, just slightly more would be perfect. :thumbsup:

csc2h
06-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Hello Cypher,

You have some nice work! I think the biggest downfall with your reel is the presentation of it.'

You show that first character way too much doing kind of the same thing over and over again. Just show the tough parts and a quick animation and that will work. Show the things that make you stand out from "Guy A" who can do all the basics. Same goes for the rest of the rigs. Also, I think your strongest rig is the guy with the all of the fat and muscle jiggles - that is pretty impressive, I was not expecting that to be in the middle of the reel. You need to bump that up closer to the front because it was definitely very cool and a strong piece. I think your very last head model should be the only model you show. It was very good and the best of the models you showed at the end. Remember to ONLY put your BEST work on your reel even if your reel ends up being 30 seconds long.

On another note, I think your reel suffers some from not being cut very well. All the blurs and fade-outs are a little obnoxious. You can keep this effect, just make it very subtle. You don't want to cover your good work up with long obnoxious blur effects. If you are applying for a rigging/animation job, these effects are not needed because you will obviously not be doing that kind of stuff on the job - your work is the most important showcase and the reel needs to flow around your work, not the other way around.

Last thing I promise - the music! I am a big hard rock/heavy metal fan and love all of that kind of stuff, but your music does not compliment your reel. Every interview I have had the music has been turned off anyways (from what I know), so it really doesn't matter too much, but if someone does listen to it, it might not yield a response that you want if they do not like that type of music. Music shouldn't be elevator music, but it shouldn't override the visuals of your reel. I can tell you that I did not feel the music flowed with your reel - but thats just my opinion though - everyone has one :) Maybe a calmer rock piece or acoustic piece would work...

I hope some of this helps you out! You definitely have some skills so make sure to show them off :thumbsup:

-Chase Cooper-

KAMAKAZZI
06-27-2007, 01:46 AM
Eric,

Sorry for not having a more efficient compressed footage. Google did a terrible job compressing the demo submission. Yahoo was a bit better but I will have to omit some sequences off the demo. If you are an employer, I will be more than happy to send my DVD portfolio package with content sheet, resume, sample images, etc. Until then, I will update the demo first before I re-render and compress the footage again.

If its safe to ask, what do yall use to compress a footage? So far I use After Effects but wonder what else is out there.

Chase Cooper,

Nice feedback! I love honesty. Glad you took the time to provide me the constructive criticism. I agree with everything you have mentioned. I came to find out that people really liked the fat guy so yes, I do need to bump him up on the presentation line. For the cuts and timing, I understand completely what you are talking about. This relates to your comment about the music because I had a hard time getting a feel for the content to match the rock. I didnt have enough action sequences to sync up with the music's hype. I totally agree with your more mild tone bg music approach and will consider changing it. As for the effects and blurs, I definitely should make them more subtle and cut down the time of the effects. I will have to cut out a good portion of the demo for a revision. Thanks for the input Chase! It really helps.

I saw your demo before and I like it very much. Your site is convenient as well and I like your approach. What you showed on your reel was good. I liked it all but the music. I did like how you chose a musical background that didnt over power your visual. I didnt think about going that route when I created mine.

Well my fellow CG comrade, you now made me that much more busy, hehehe. I think my next demo version would cover more of an integration process. I really want to show how I can create a rig, animate it and chose any initial 3D package and host the motion data into those packages for final renders. This will help me out more because it shows that my work can be transferred to what ever application is used within a studio.

-----------Thanks again, your time is greatly appreciated. I will change things for the better when I get more down time. Gotta go do some storyboards and concept sketches for a 45 minute short as well as model and rig... its been great fellas.

With my highest regards,

Cypher
www.CypherMesh.com

ErikSvensson
06-27-2007, 07:02 AM
No probs man :) Do you have the "original" cut file then you could save it in a higher resolution and post on youtube or veoh, i think they dont mess up the quality to much.

But i'll have a look on the yahoo one later today and send you some feedback. Gotta go to work now. i'll check in a few hours. :thumbsup:

Erik

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2007, 07:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.