View Full Version : How do I make this shape solid
06-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I sketched this shape and then did an extrude. Now I need to put a top and bottom on this shape(make it solid). How do I do that.
06-20-2007, 10:21 PM
most of the time the polies are there.
Try to select them and flip them.
select point by point clockwise (or was it the other way around) and press p
06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
You can add a top or bottom by simply selecting the points (lasso select) and press < p > to make a new polygon.
You can also add depth to shapes like this by doing the following:
1. Select all the polys. An easy way to do this is to make sure nothing else is selected, switch to Polygons mode, then hit the < " > (double quotes) key. This is the keyboard shortcut for "invert selection." Since nothing is selected, the inverse will be everything selected.
2. Copy the selected polys.
3. Paste the polys back in place. Do not deselect the polys yet.
4. Flip the polygon normals by pressing the < f > key.
5. Activate the Smooth Shift tool. Click and drag to adjust the thickness.
6. Deselect the polys.
7. Merge points to join the thickened polys to the original ones.
You can also use the R_Thick tool from Pictrix (http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Rthick/indexLt.html) to do this in one step. There's also Blochi's Thickener (http://www.blochi.com/gfx/thickener_en.html) as well as my favorite, Happy Digital's HDPumpit. (http://www.happy-digital.com/pumpit.asp) HDPumpit is a commercial plug-in. It's worth it though. It has some additional options for adding edge segments which makes it ideal for working with subpatch objects.
06-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Make sure it is a SubDiv object
(a SubPatch obj won't work, as it only works with 3 or 4 sided poys)
1. Then, you might want to select the top plate, and hit "e" to extend it, it will create a harder edge. (you can then use the stretch tool "h" while holding down the Ctrl key in the top viewport, this is sometimes necesarry to make the edge look better)
When done, you might want to run "e" a second time to make an even harder edge.
2. Come to think of it,in 9.2 there is a new tool for creating a hard edge automatically. Um, called... Set Sharpness
U can fin it here,
Map / Weight / Set Sharpness (make sure you use Catmull/Clark though)
06-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Hm, thought it'd make perfect edges automatically, but seems you might have to tweak some...
When it somes to SubPatch and SubDivision modeling the trial and error method seems to be required.
06-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Thanks guys. I tried the instructions by lion111 and it worked perfectly.
06-26-2007, 12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.