PDA

View Full Version : particle help - snow dump

dooflexible
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
hi, im new here. im also new to 3ds max, so any kind of help would be appreciated.

im trying to create a snow dump falling on a text.
as it falls, it partly covers the letters with snow on top.
i tried to use the snow particle system but it didnt seem to cover up my text :/

BrandonD
06-20-2007, 04:07 PM
The Snow particle system (as well as SuperSpray and PArray) are 10 years old. Don't think of it as "this makes snow," it was a poor and early attempt at particle systems in MAX. Those legacy particle systems aren't totally useless, but they've been obsolete since the introduction of Particle Flow. I would highly suggest doing the tutorials and learning how Particle Flow works as it's far more capable than the older legacy systems.

With that said, keep in mind that our 3d apps aren't really physical simulators (yet). You need to create the look of snow collecting on text and that requires a deflector so that the particle system knows when to collide. But it's important to note that particles are just infinitely small points in space so you can't really pile them on top of each other.

dooflexible
06-20-2007, 07:18 PM
thank you for the information.

feldy
06-20-2007, 07:50 PM
when box 2 is released it will have the agiea physx in it. that might be a big step pn making particles fall of top of each other.

BrandonD
06-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Or you could just be creative and come up with a faked solution since, well, what we do is fake anyway (unless you're doing scientific visualization). Everyone these days seems to be more inclined to try a simulated approach which, while more and more capable these days, is often slow, hard to control and overkill.

Do a search on "sand and hourglass" and you should find a description of how to use animated geometry and particles to fake the idea of particles collecting and piling on top of each other. Ah yes, sometimes I wonder if those glory days of "everything's a hack" weren't so bad after all.

grury
06-21-2007, 08:30 AM
...or check out this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=206&t=469297&highlight=snow

mackdadd
06-21-2007, 09:21 PM
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/snowmaker

if you need to automatically create snow geometry on top of your objects, try this. :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2007, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.