PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behavior FAQ

Pages : [1] 2

Mibus
06-20-2007, 08:37 AM
For questions/answers on the Challenge, please post here...

1. Please read the instructions before posting here.

2. Please help us to answer questions. If you see a question already answered, please refer the person to that answer so that we don't keep repeating ourselves.

Challenge-Specific

Q: How early do I have to start submitting milestones?

A: As early as possible. Although there is no due date earlier than the final closing date, part of the final judging vote puts emphasis on Community Interaction, which means that people who 'hold back' their work in progress till the last minute can be penalized.

Q: Can we work in teams? What about pairs?

A: Yes, teams can submit to the short film category. See also the Looking For Group (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=223&t=508985) thread.

Q: Can individuals enter the Short Film category?

A: Yes, you're a team of one! However we strongly recommend that you enter the Animation category -- you can practically enter almost the same material as you would in the Short Film category but you stand a much better chance of winning.

Q: I'm using a new email but the challenge keeps sending stuff to my old one. How do I fix that?

A: You go into CGTalk's UserCP (User Control Panel) and change your email address there. If you still have problems, email me.

Q: What if I am a winner and I want a different prize? E.g. What if I win the Grand Prize but I want the Runner Up prize instead?

A: You can contact the other winner with the prize that you want, and ask if they want to do an exchange. What you guys do with your prizes is up to you, and we're not going to be involved in it.

Q: How do I actually enter the competition?

A: Go to the challenge site and click on "Enter The Challenge". Upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry") or the CGChallenge Uploader.

Q: How I can get out of this challenge?

A: Just stop submitting.

Q: Can I have multiple entries?

A: Not in a single category. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter multiple categories.

Q: Can I upload my WIP images to my own server? Is that counted?

A: No. Please use the Challenge site facility to upload your Work-In-Progress. The purpose of the image hosting on the Challenge site is to give everyone the equal opportunity to post their work-in-progress, and have it hosted. At the conclusion of the Challenge, you will undoubtedly remove any Work-In-Progress images from your personal website and generate broken links all over CGTalk - so please use the Challenge upload facility.

Q: What's the difference between 'Short Film' and 'Animation'?

A: The Short Film category is for team entries. The teams must base their film on the screenplay, 'Art Galery' or an adaption of it. Judging will be based on the overall film ans storytelling impact. Short Films will also be eligable for a range of Open Categoriey awards.

Animation is for individual entrants. You do not have to adhere to the screenplay given (althoug you can if you want to). It will be judged firstly on character animation and secondly on overall work. The Animation category is also the place for individuals to access modelling, texturing, lighting and visual effects Open Categories.

Technical

Q: Are random or parametric terrain and foliage/plant generation software (Bryce/Vue/Terragen) allowed?

A: Yes

Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now availble in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

Q: Can I use Poser and other parametric models for background characters?

A: Yes.

Q: Can I use a trial version of a software?

A: Yes. We don't care. The final image must not have watermarks on it.

Q: The guidelines in the instructions says that the resolution for the final image should be at least 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI (portrait). Why do you need such a high resolution for?

A: We want to train people to create artwork for print. Therefore, things such as detailed textures and meshes become important in the creation of your artwork. The final image needs to be prepared for print, and we want everyone to work towards producing work that is print quality by habit.

Q: What resolution do you want the final image to be exactly? What about if we make the image a different aspect ratio and orientation?

A: Your final image aspect ratio and orientation will dictate your final resolution. We want images that will print at 300dpi on a 22 x 30cm page (whatever orientation). Please do your research and work this out yourselves. Your final image will need to be rendered at enough resolution to print and hold up detail.

Q: Because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all together later?

A: Yes. This is how professionals work -- you should use every tool and technique availble in the best way possible.

Q: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?

A: If it is watermarked then yes. Otherwise, no.

Q: Is it ok to use vray, RenderMan or 3rd party renderers for rendering?

A: Yes -- you are free to use any software you like.

Q: While I know its ok to use 2D textures in this 3D project....is it going to be ok to use a 2D element as a back drop? Like a background....like a matte painting?

A: Yes. You should always use every tool that is apropriate in the best way possible.

Q: Are we allowed to use web downloaded textures?

A: Yes, but you must credit everything you use. Anyone caught not crediting material, contributors or inspirational works will be disqualified.

T4D
06-25-2007, 09:21 AM
Q: What's the difference between 'Short Film' and 'Animation'?

A: The Short Film category is for team entries seeking to make a longer video, which may include live-action. For the Animation category, we're after a really well-done model (of an environment or an object), which you'll show us with your animation (eg. a turntable or flythrough).

for the animation, is there a limit ?
I was thinking of showing my character's "Strange Behavior " with some Character animation
but I don't want to follow the script, it doesn't really fit my idea ?

SuperXCM
06-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Hello,

first thanks for this new opportinuty! I've got a question, I didn't enter the last challenge so this new one and the new category, I didn't really understand... I mean, I just would like to make a still image like the old 3D category, so if I understand well I need to post in Illustration, but if after doing my pictures I want to make like a light changing, or ambiance changing, I can post in the Animation... is right?

But I need to post directly to the 2 category, or I can post on illustration and if I got time when the illu is finished I can post in animation?

I hope is not too confuse what I'm trying to explain, sorry for my englsih.

Thanks.

tibes
06-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Can individuals enter the Short Film category?

arturro
06-25-2007, 10:52 AM
quick question about the prizes,
one master prize, one excellence prize? or it will depend on the level of final works?
so or example one master prize and a few excellence prizes?

Mibus
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Can individuals enter the Short Film category?

Yes, you're just a "team of one" :)

Mibus
06-25-2007, 11:29 AM
quick question about the prizes,
one master prize, one excellence prize? or it will depend on the level of final works?
so or example one master prize and a few excellence prizes?

One of each.

Ter-o
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
A quick question from here also:

If group of people decide to create a short film, is it allowed for (each? one?) artist to create a separate Illustration entry from the environment / character(s) designed for the short film?

I don't mean recycling the assets used in the short film but more like painting a picture/poster for the short based on the concept art and character design etc.

bluemattersoda
06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
just a quick question, it says in the rules that entries must be previously unpublished. Does this mean we can't upload these entries (WIPs and finals) on other webpages (like Deviantart, for example) until the competitions over?

jasonio
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Can an entry to the Animation category be the equivalent of a "30-second short"? eg: have a (brief) story, characters, sets, music, dialogue, SpecialFX, etc, but be based on original material or one of the short stories?

Klingberg
06-25-2007, 04:22 PM
I really would like to enter in this section, but after reading the instructions, i'm a little disappointed, because this section has not the artistic freedom like the other categories.
But i have a bigger problem, i can't find anything about this screenplay. not on google, neither in one of the biggest public libraries in germany. Could anyone give me some information about it?

- ok, i just overlooked it. it is in the challenge discription of course. :rolleyes:
and i don't really like it...

elesbien
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
hi im from colombia and i think this is The first challenge in which I am going to take part.

excellent.

eljono90
06-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Are you going to send in the software license and if, where??

Nothingness
06-25-2007, 06:31 PM
hey,

sorry for another question, but for the animation section, is the final render also a high res of min. 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high? It only seas so for illustration.

Also, you can post in the animation part to show off your 3d work and textures if you make for example an illustration work. Does this also work the other way around?

cheers

destruct007
06-25-2007, 10:16 PM
never mind found a lot more answers here

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=59&t=510564&page=4&pp=15

unwrap
06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi. I intend making a 3D still, like during previous challenges when we had only two categories i.e. 2D and 3D. So I entered the illustration category. But when I try to submit a wip image, I get too little milestones like previz, line art and final. Did I enter the wrong category? There were more categories before, stuff like sketch, modeling, texturing, lighting, etc. Thanks.

grantmoore3d
06-26-2007, 01:30 AM
I was looking around for an answer to this question, but haven't found one.

Regarding the "Animation" entry... Is it permissible to do an animated short. Or are you looking more for a scene, with a fly through to prove the "3D' of it.

To me, when I hear of an animation contest, that intuitively implies some form of movement to tell a story. Based on your descriptions, it doesn't sound like that at all.

Thanks in advance, I can't wait to get cracking on this contest!!

Mibus
06-26-2007, 03:35 AM
I was thinking of showing my character's "Strange Behavior " with some Character animation
but I don't want to follow the script, it doesn't really fit my idea ?

Put it in the animation category, for sure.

but if after doing my pictures I want to make like a light changing, or ambiance changing, I can post in the Animation... is right?

You should pick beforehand which you want to do... the illustration one focuses on full print-res still art, whereas the animation category is more about showing off the 3D nature of the work.

If group of people decide to create a short film, is it allowed for (each? one?) artist to create a separate Illustration entry from the environment / character(s) designed for the short film?

Each can submit work that they themselves did into the Illustration category.

Does this mean we can't upload these entries (WIPs and finals) on other webpages (like Deviantart, for example) until the competitions over?

No, it just means that you should put it here first, and it shouldn't be something you posted to DeviantArt

Can an entry to the Animation category be the equivalent of a "30-second short"? eg: have a (brief) story, characters, sets, music, dialogue, SpecialFX, etc, but be based on original material or one of the short stories?

Yes.

sorry for another question, but for the animation section, is the final render also a high res of min. 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high? It only seas so for illustration.

Just illustration.

Also, you can post in the animation part to show off your 3d work and textures if you make for example an illustration work. Does this also work the other way around?

Go read Mark's post on this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4472824&postcount=51

There were more categories before, stuff like sketch, modeling, texturing, lighting, etc.

Yup, it's been simplified :)

MarkSnoswell
06-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Answers:

Short Film entries must be based on the screenplay 'Art Gallery' but you can adapt this -- a lot. It has been written so that it is easy to adapt. There is even a prize for best screenplay adaption.

If you want to do a completly different story then you can enter the animation category where you dont have to base your work on 'Art Gallery'. Master and Excelence awards in the animation category will be bassed mainly on character animation skill.

You can do a whole short film in the animation category if you wish -- but you dont have to.

A team can have any number of members. You can enter with a team of just 1.

You are free to enter several categories based on the same work -- but showing different aspects of it. eg. Illustration, model, texturing etc.

One Master and one Excellence prize winner in Illustration, Aniamtion and Short Film categories.

Every member in a team is free to enter the other categories -- either with their own independant work (which could be an illustrated poster for the Short Film) or with the teams permission using assets from the short film.

Your entry must be new -- previously published work is not allowed.

You must not publish your work elsewhere untill after the challenge is over -- this is how this rule will be enforced... We are happy to see people promoting themselves, the challenge and the CGSociety on other sites. We will turn a blind eye to this if it's resonable and includes prominent links back to the CGSociety. However you cant have your work appear in a feature article or some other significant publication before the end of the challenge unless you get our written permission from us beforehand -- breach of this rule will result in disqualification... always ask first, we are very resonable people :)

mim-Armand
06-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Tnx Robert, but then I’m confused a bit!

So thought there is an Intercurrent between animation and short!
Can I do a short animation in short’s section?! Because I didn’t want to compete in modeling and I plan to do something with the screenplay! Is it eligible to do a complete cg short or it had to use some real filming in it?!

Tnx, mim :)

PS: ooops! Tnx mark!
Short Film entries must be based on the screenplay 'Art Gallery' but you can adapt this -- a lot. It has been written so that it is easy to adapt. There is even a prize for best screenplay adaption.
If you want to do a completly different story then you can enter the animation category where you dont have to base your work on 'Art Gallery'. Master and Excelence awards in the animation category will be bassed mainly on character animation skill.
Seems it's answered now! so don't mind! :thumbsup:
And I thouht it's yess! (if?) :D
Goodluck!

MarkSnoswell
06-26-2007, 08:26 AM
So thought there is an Intercurrent between animation and short!
Can I do a short animation in short’s section?! Because I didn’t want to compete in modeling and I plan to do something with the screenplay! Is it eligible to do a complete cg short or it had to use some real filming in it?!

Let me use this as an example to give some advice:

You can enter the Short Film category as a 1 person team and create a completly CG short if you wish. However you will be competing against teams of people with no restrictions on how they make the film. This will make it very tough to compete.

or

You can enter the Animation category with a complete CG short film based on the screenplay. Now you will be competing with other individuals and you will have a much better chance of winning. You could still mix in live action or any other sort of material but you will be judged on your character animation skill first and overall entry second. You will also be automatically eligable for the other open categories: modelling, texturing and lighting.

So...

... As an individual animator you should enter the Animation category.

SuperXCM
06-26-2007, 09:31 AM
You should pick beforehand which you want to do... the illustration one focuses on full print-res still art, whereas the animation category is more about showing off the 3D nature of the work.
:)

Thanks Mibus for answer, but sorry to be so noob :blush: , what I want to do is an illustration still art for print, but from this one, to have good chance in the lighting category, I want to make a day/night or changing the ambiance video... you know like a little camera move with the light changing in the scene. I need to enter the 2 category at the beginning and post my shot in the 2?

Thanks again.

fgdf
06-26-2007, 02:24 PM
In animation category does this 10sec -2min limit is a must or it allow us to reach like 3 or 4 minutes ??
Thanks!

Dironik
06-26-2007, 04:43 PM
I didn't quite catch your answer. What about if i will start illustration category, which be a cadr of animation but in a print resolution. Did i have opportunity for participate in a both of categories(illustration & animation) or redirect from Illustration to Animation categories if i have to time.

EvoInSec
06-26-2007, 08:37 PM
In the animation category is limited to 3d animation or it can be 2d animation ?

alvin-cgi
06-27-2007, 12:51 AM
I didn't quite catch your answer. What about if i will start illustration category, which be a cadr of animation but in a print resolution. Did i have opportunity for participate in a both of categories(illustration & animation) or redirect from Illustration to Animation categories if i have to time.

I am wondering about this too...?

alvin-cgi
06-27-2007, 01:02 AM
Hi Mark,

On F&Q said "For the Animation category, we're after a really well-done model (of an environment or an object), which you'll show us with your animation (eg. a turntable or flythrough)."
And on one of your answer "...in the animation category will be based mainly on character animation skill."

So which is what, a turntable or flythrough to show animation or character animation?

Thanks
A

MarkSnoswell
06-27-2007, 01:36 AM
Hi Mark,
On F&Q said "For the Animation category, we're after a really well-done model (of an environment or an object), which you'll show us with your animation (eg. a turntable or flythrough)."
And on one of your answer "...in the animation category will be based mainly on character animation skill."
So which is what, a turntable or flythrough to show animation or character animation?

OK -- you got me there ;) I need to go in and clarify the text... I started with the last challenge "3D Render" text and evolved it to fit the "Animation" category this time - I should have just started from scratch...

Judging for the Animation category will be first on character animation and secondly on the overall work. To further clarify this -- Character animation can be of any sort -- 3D, cartoon, claymation. It's the actual bringing of a character to life that is key -- not your technical skills or the aproach taken. If it's 3D (which most of the entries will be) then a well animated but simple robot could do as well as a photoreal human.

For those people that excell in creating awesome organic creatures which are harder to animate there are great opportunities now in the modelling, lighting and illustration categories.

If your clever in how you put together your entries then you can have a shot at just about everything :)

Hi. I intend making a 3D still, like during previous challenges when we had only two categories i.e. 2D and 3D. So I entered the illustration category. But when I try to submit a wip image, I get too little milestones like previz, line art and final. Did I enter the wrong category? There were more categories before, stuff like sketch, modeling, texturing, lighting, etc.
Dont wory. There are fewer official milestones now. This makes it easier for more people to qualify at the end of the challenge. We have found that most entrants are very good at posting lots of material so we dont have to force as many milestones.

hv
06-27-2007, 03:29 AM
We have found that most entrants are very good at posting lots of material so we dont have to force as many milestones.

Hello Mark. Does this mean, for folks like me who post non-milestone but related works in progress, should we just go ahead and use our on image hosting? And just use the uploader here for the milestones.

Dironik
06-27-2007, 04:42 AM
In pages "Short Film Forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=223) ", "Animation Forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=224) " and "Illustration Forum (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=225) " link on "FAQ" page is wrong("http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=408984") but must be "http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=508984".

Mibus
06-27-2007, 05:47 AM
Deser: Fixed, thanks!

MarkSnoswell
06-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Hello Mark. Does this mean, for folks like me who post non-milestone but related works in progress, should we just go ahead and use our on image hosting? And just use the uploader here for the milestones.

no -- just post everything here as you normally would. You get the most feedback then and everyone else here benifits :)

fgdf
06-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm bumping my question!
can we make animations longer than 2 minuts ?? -it's quite cruical in this category it determines script , amount of shots etc
help please!!!
-cheers!!

MarkSnoswell
06-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm bumping my question!
can we make animations longer than 2 minuts ?? -it's quite cruical in this category it determines script , amount of shots etc

Yes. We arent going to penalize people for longer clips -- unless you bore the judges ;)

I woul very strongly recommend that you dont exceed 4 min -- thats a long music video clip length and about the tops for the judges attention span when you are looking over dozens of finalists in one session.

These times do not include time you may put into a 'making of' clip you add after the credits -- However any making of clips should not be longer than 30 sec per segment (modelling, texturing, lighting etc).

JurajMolcak
06-27-2007, 04:37 PM
from categories instruction: ...If you want your work to be considered for the Animation awards and other Open Categories then you should add a ‘making of’ documentary after your credits that highlights you special skills: modeling, texturing or lighting.

hey,
everything is good organised so far, but I have a lil problem to get this thing absolutelly clear.
If I want to make 2 mins animation, am I allowed to add extra time for "documentary footage" in order to be ready for Open Categories? (time limit for animation is 2 mins)
Or do I need to make separate videos for finished animation, for turntable, for vfx breakdowns, etc. ... Thanx.

eljono90
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Are you going to send in your software license, and if who and where???

Mibus
06-28-2007, 12:05 AM
Are you going to send in your software license, and if who and where???

I don't understand your question. Can you please try re-phrasing it?

If I want to make 2 mins animation, am I allowed to add extra time for "documentary footage" in order to be ready for Open Categories?

Yes.

eljono90
06-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Sorry for my bad english, im from Norway :)

To make sure that everyone has non-pirated software, are you going to see if all artist has their license..?? And if you are going to, where should we send it???

Hope that did it :thumbsup: :hmm:

MarkSnoswell
06-28-2007, 02:33 AM
everything is good organised so far, but I have a lil problem to get this thing absolutelly clear.
If I want to make 2 mins animation, am I allowed to add extra time for "documentary footage" in order to be ready for Open Categories? (time limit for animation is 2 mins)
Or do I need to make separate videos for finished animation, for turntable, for vfx breakdowns, etc.
You don’t have to do a 'making of' documentary to be eligible for the Open Categories -- but it is highly recommended. Conversely, if you are only interested in the Open Categories then your whole entry will be a silent 'making of' documentary style.

If you are planning to make a great character animation here is what I recommend:

1. Title sequence -- no longer then 10 sec.

2. Character animation - include music, dialogue, sound effects and anything else to make it as good as possible. -- 30 sec - 3 min in length.

3. Credits.

4. "making of' sequence made up of as many 10-30 sec segments as you want to show off:

Modeling -- turntable, fly-arounds, close up. white shader with ambient occlusion.

Texturing -- turntable starting with checker UV mapping and texture build up to full texture and finish with texture under different lighting conditions.

Lighting etc...

Remember these are just my recommendations, not requirements. The reason for recommending you doing it this was is that you show off your finished work first -- in the best possible and most entertaining way. You need to be focusing on telling a really good story that people will be totally absorbed in. If you succeed in this then people will come away with the impression of "wow -- that was great" but they will not focus on any of the technical aspects like the modeling, texturing etc... if they do, that's bad. It means they lost interest in the story you were telling and started looking at the technical details instead.

Now -- once your show piece is out of the way and the credits have run you can put in you 'making of' sequences. If you do this well it will really impress people just how much work you did and how it added to the overall impact of the story without being obvious.

As a guide you should look at short films submitted to SIGGRAPH and other similar organizations -- see what people do to show of their work. Note how long animations are and what works. Note how modeling, lighting and effects shots are demonstrated in the effects and other categories. Many DVD's also have great making of material on them. Look at everything you can and really pay attention to what works and what doesn’t. Then try to copy the best and avoid the worst. Finally and most importantly -- look at your own work with fresh and critical eyes and be prepared to edit and change it to make it better.

MrHobby
06-28-2007, 03:17 AM
Hey,

this maybe a silly question but this is my first challenge here at the CGSociety.
I see and hear remarks to milestones. I have read all the rules and read all the posts in this and other thread and my question is: Is there a specific deadline for submiting certain "milestones"?
Do we need to submit certian works at or by a certain time during the challenge?
If so what are those times and dates?

The reason i ask is because i have my companies work, my personal project "The Crystal Tree" and this challenge all at the same time. So my WIP submissions may be at different times.
So i want to make sure i follow the set deadlines for the milestones so i'm not disqualified.

Thanks
Richard Brooks

MarkSnoswell
06-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Is there a specific deadline for submiting certain "milestones"?
Do we need to submit certian works at or by a certain time during the challenge?

No -- they just have to be there at the finish to be eligable fot judging.

However, we encourage everyone to be active and post their work as they go. This maximises the feedback you may get and the community participation with everyone learning from each other.

MrHobby
06-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Thanks Mark. :thumbsup:

Ordibble-Plop
06-28-2007, 04:29 AM
If you were to do a TWO-DIMENSIONAL (no, I'm not yelling, just bringing attention to this bit :) ) animation for the Animation section, what would be acceptable Deliverables for the 'Modeling' and 'Shading (Textured and lit)' stages?

I ask this because a 2D animation wouldn't ordinarilly feature modelling and lighting in the 3D software sense.

Thanks (and sorry if this was asked or answered before)

JurajMolcak
06-28-2007, 08:41 AM
You don’t have to do a 'making of' documentary to be eligible for the Open Categories -- but it is highly recommended. Conversely, if you are only interested in the Open Categories then your whole entry will be a silent 'making of' documentary style.

If you are planning to make a great character animation here is what I recommend:...

Thank you Mark, your answer is covering more than I expected. Spot on challenge! Thanx.

MarkSnoswell
06-28-2007, 09:02 AM
If you were to do a TWO-DIMENSIONAL (no, I'm not yelling, just bringing attention to this bit :) ) animation for the Animation section, what would be acceptable Deliverables for the 'Modeling' and 'Shading (Textured and lit)' stages?
I ask this because a 2D animation wouldn't ordinarilly feature modelling and lighting in the 3D software sense.

If your doing a 2D animation then there may not be any additional components such as modelling or lighting. There again there may be.

When the judging is done any submission will be potentially eligable for all the relevant open categories. It is just a reccomendation that you highlight your various skills to maximise your chances in the open category areas you feel you are particularly strong in.

Lovas
06-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Q: Can I use Poser, Daz 3D or pre-fabricated models?

A: Yes. This is no different from using your own pre-built models or the parametric models now available in most 3D systems. However you should add significant creative input to make the models and results unique?

Good Morning! :thumbsup: Good to see that someone here had finally woke up and came to the only logical and rational conclusion regarding that. The irrational fear of technology that, even though presently at its humble beginnings, actually is the future of 3D and even more irrational worshipping and adoration of authors who don't mind wasting time on senseless modelling and rigging a new human figure or figures from the scratch for each project (even though often their final illustrations lacking any composition, atmosphere, story, idea or other important elements...) on this site was becoming actually painful. Even though I support the idea that a solid technical background is an equally important and neccessary part of an artwork, I've often found myself wondering about the CG Society selectors' criteria when it comes to 3D - they often seem to judge authors instead of their work. Character modelling has become a sort of trend, that is replacing the oh-so-popular 3D "artwork", consisting of models of existing brands of car, lit by a HDRI. Which remainds me of the 80's, tiled flooooors and spheres of glass and silver...:twisted:

On the other hand, I sincerely hope we won't end-up now with a bunch of renderotica-level, 5-minute-work, poorly posed and rendered lego-Poser crap that has been inundating and polluting the Internet for the past several years. It is good that the "significant creative input to make results unique" is correctly emphasized in the answer above.
Perhaps you should go even further and forbid rendering of the final work in Poser i.e. allow the program only as an additional tool and not as the only and the main one...

(Sorry if being off-topic with this)

Lovas
06-28-2007, 09:23 AM
-And now the question: does the theme has necessarily to be interpreted as a character interaction? I would like, for example, to depict a Strange Behaviour of forces of nature - with the humans and/or other characters being just passive elements. Does my work get disqualified or low-graded because of that?

Ordibble-Plop
06-28-2007, 12:51 PM
If your doing a 2D animation then there may not be any additional components such as modelling or lighting. There again there may be.

When the judging is done any submission will be potentially eligable for all the relevant open categories. It is just a reccomendation that you highlight your various skills to maximise your chances in the open category areas you feel you are particularly strong in.

Hehe, me again. I think with all the questions about the organisation of the different categories and how to compete for the different prizes, this has become foremost in your mind ;)

Thanks to your explanations I understand that part well, although, unfortunately, that is not what my question is about :)

I am asking about the milestones and deliverables (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/deliverables.php) required if I do a 2D animation.

On the Deliverables page linked above, it says:

"Animation: (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/categories.php#animation)
• Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization - JPG (online)
• Modeling - JPG (online)
• Shading (Textured and lit) - JPG (online)
• Final Render - JPG (online) & 10sec – 2 min Animation (via CGUploader)"

Now, if I do a 2D animation that does not include 3D models and/or shading/lighting, what should I submit for the second and third milestones instead?

I am not concerned about being inelligible for the 'Excellence' prizes (for clarity, let's forget about them ;) ), but I do need to know what deliverables should be submitted for the milestones so my entry isn't disqualified outright for missing one.

Sorry to harp on about this, or if my question has not been clear. I am not trying to be perverse or deliberately irritating - I am just trying to work out what I would need to provide and how best to organise my time to do so.

murmurr
06-28-2007, 06:03 PM
I was thinking of modeling Ronald Mcdonald for the challange but this is my first attempt at anything of this nature. Is this allowed or do I have to model a characterization of him with a fake Mcdonalds logo due to copyright issues?

flinder
06-28-2007, 07:39 PM
now that i've started formulating a concept, i'm second guessing my category choice.

will having a scene that's made up of a real-world photographic backdrop, with only the character being CG, work against me in the illustration category? would i be better off creating a small animation of character in said environment and sticking with the animation category, thereby being also judged on compositing, etc?

Mibus
06-29-2007, 12:48 AM
"Animation: (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/categories.php#animation)
• Concept Sketch or 3D pre-visualization - JPG (online)
• Modeling - JPG (online)
• Shading (Textured and lit) - JPG (online)
• Final Render - JPG (online) & 10sec – 2 min Animation (via CGUploader)"

Now, if I do a 2D animation that does not include 3D models and/or shading/lighting, what should I submit for the second and third milestones instead?

Just pick your own idea of what they should be; as long as it shows progress you won't be penalised. eg., Modeling could be basic-coloured keyframed animation, and Shading could be a properly "textured" (ie. shaded / rounded characters, image for backdrop, etc).

Like I said though, just pick what you think are "fair" milestones, and submit them. You won't be penalised as long as you show progress (which is the only thing the milestones are really there to enforce).

PhilOsirus
06-29-2007, 02:15 AM
I presume it is ok but I'll ask to make sure: Can I render my scene in 3D and finish it significantly in 2D (like break edges that are too perfect, add dirt, change some colors, and even paints additional stuff on top of the image)? So the image is neither 2D nor 3D in of itself, it is a major mix of both?

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops, I think there is a FAQ for illustration, this is not it;)

MarkSnoswell
06-30-2007, 01:54 AM
I presume it is ok but I'll ask to make sure: Can I render my scene in 3D and finish it significantly in 2D (like break edges that are too perfect, add dirt, change some colors, and even paints additional stuff on top of the image)? So the image is neither 2D nor 3D in of itself, it is a major mix of both?

Yes. This is exactly what you shold do -- and what is normal in commercial work. It's the result that matters, not the tools or aproaches you use to get there.

A personal comment on 3D renders... you should think of these like a raw photograph or video. You will always want to do a lot of post processing to enhance the render. It makes no sense to do everyting 'in camera' or 'in render' these days.

For a major project like entering this competition you should be working out your own personal pipeline. This should include rendering every layer you think you might use from the 3D render. You want to then do as much lighting, colour timing, texture maipulation, motion blur and whatever other effects you want/need/can in post -- where you can do most of them real time -- or at least a lot faster than in your renderer.

mim-Armand
06-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Hi,

Dunno if here is the right place or not! But I have a problem on my thread!

Infact I uploaded a milestone but it didn’t displayed on my first post or in my challenge pages but just as my last post!

I’ll appreciate if anyone says whats wrong?! :)

Tnx, mim,:thumbsup:

Edit: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=223&t=510648 :rolleyes:
Edit2: My thread thumbnail updeated btw!

Naisa Evoli
06-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Q: What is considered an adaptation. At what point does a script stop being an adaptation and end up becoming its own script. Are we allowed to change the ending? Can we change the personalities and attitudes of the individuals? Does setting or story make it an adaptation? Like for example, what if its the same basic story but it takes place in a library with art books (for example..lol). Basically in short, how close does it have to be, or are there really no set guidelines? Thank you :)

MatthiasBuehlmann
06-30-2007, 08:53 AM
Hi!
This topic sounds really cool - and i'd like to enter with an interactive piece! Is this possible?

littlelilacs
06-30-2007, 06:04 PM
I would like to ask a question. I am not sure if someone already answered it. the art work that is mentioned in the screen play does it have to be from art that is already created or can we create the pictures for the short film? could I make a picture using the vague discription without having to find a picture to use? or do I have to find the art work to use(after getting permission from the artist to use in screeen play.)

OROBOY
06-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I was wondering if we entered the illustration category producing a 3D still shot; if that same still shot would be allowed for the animation category (which requires a still frame and animation)? Or if the same charcters/environment/situation could be used for both the illustration and animation categories? Thanks.

JurajMolcak
07-01-2007, 03:49 PM
just a lil goodie goodie... Is it possible to make "Strange Behaviour" LOGO available for download? Thanx.

Goro
07-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Hi I guess I'm not the only one who realized that the images load pretty slow.

Is there a reason why the jpgs are converted to 1MB bmps after uploading?
I guess someone with a slow internet connection will have trouble in browsing all the
threads.
Why is the jpg limit is set to max 150KB when it's converted to a huge bmp?

And what about the traffic. When 1000people click on a single thread (wich happens really fast ) you'll have already 1GB of traffic. Is the conversion to BMP intentional?

Cheers
Goro

Mibus
07-02-2007, 03:47 AM
And what about the traffic. When 1000people click on a single thread (wich happens really fast ) you'll have already 1GB of traffic.

We hadn't noticed any real increase in bandwidth, given how much we already use for everything else. We measure our monthly usage in multiples of TBs.

Is the conversion to BMP intentional?

No - thanks for pointing it out! Previously, the image conversion stuff was (correctly) guessing we wanted JPEGs out, even though we weren't specifying it. Because of some changes I made for this challenge, it couldn't work it out and decided BMP was a better default.

bstout
07-02-2007, 03:57 AM
so what is the best image file format to upload?

Mibus
07-02-2007, 04:01 AM
Q: What is considered an adaptation. At what point does a script stop being an adaptation and end up becoming its own script. Are we allowed to change the ending? Can we change the personalities and attitudes of the individuals? Does setting or story make it an adaptation? Like for example, what if its the same basic story but it takes place in a library with art books (for example..lol). Basically in short, how close does it have to be, or are there really no set guidelines? Thank you :)

Make them recognisable as being the same basic script, and you'll be OK. Don't make it into something wildly different.

This topic sounds really cool - and i'd like to enter with an interactive piece! Is this possible?

Afraid not.

I would like to ask a question. I am not sure if someone already answered it. the art work that is mentioned in the screen play does it have to be from art that is already created or can we create the pictures for the short film? could I make a picture using the vague discription without having to find a picture to use? or do I have to find the art work to use(after getting permission from the artist to use in screeen play.)
By all means, create it yourself! This is an art forum, when all is said and done :)

I was wondering if we entered the illustration category producing a 3D still shot; if that same still shot would be allowed for the animation category (which requires a still frame and animation)? Or if the same charcters/environment/situation could be used for both the illustration and animation categories? Thanks.
Yes, but it really shouldn't be exactly the same piece entered for both categories. What works for an illustration isn't really showing off your skills for an animation, and vice-versa. So if they're different, just take a screenshot of the animation and use that!

just a lil goodie goodie... Is it possible to make "Strange Behaviour" LOGO available for download? Thanx.
Check the assets on the press page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/press.php).

Mibus
07-02-2007, 04:04 AM
so what is the best image file format to upload?

For 99% of people, JPEG.

Imagus
07-02-2007, 04:40 AM
A few questions regarding WIP entries.

- Is it possible to remove a previous WIP entry? I recently uploaded a slight update to a concept image, but it really isn't its own entry.
- I've created a post with links to my own web hosting... should I re-upload the images using the WIP tool and, if so, should/can I delete my original post?
- If I upload a new WIP pic using the Submit functionality, will it update the thumbnail that is used for my thread? I linked to my own space to avoid having the thumbnail update.

Apologies for the confusion... I'm new to CG Challenges. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

MarkSnoswell
07-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Screenplay adaption’s:

We are going to be quite flexible on this.

What must remain is:

1. Two central characters that have just met for a first date in a gallery. One of the characters is good (a reasonable person who appreciates art and different points of view). The other person is bad (is a bit of a sleaze -- has no appreciation of art or other people’s opinions and is only interested in themselves and sex.)

2. Pictures that come to life and are sneaky, reacting to the bad persons comments.

3. The last picture has two or more characters in it -- one of whom replaces the bad person in the real world.

The setting could be anywhere... on earth or on an alien planet.

You can choose whatever pictures you want – or make up your own.

You can alter the ending to add a further twist.

We will be writing up notes on the screenplay to explain why it works and how you can vary it. Here is one example of the sort of variation I would personally consider…

The dragon is released from the picture at the end leaving the Guy trapped in the picture – he is chained up and his captor is the slave girl who is now wearing his shirt. The slave girl calls out to the dragon and the woman telling them to have fun. In the closing scene the woman turns to the dragon saying “Come on, I’m famished – French or Italian tonight?”.

“Italian", replies the dragon picking his teeth “I’m still trying to get last night’s Frenchman out of my teeth.”

For an real twist – at the end the camera could pull back revealing that the entire film up to date has been happening in a picture… with a closing voice over that sounds something like Ron and Hermione (Harry Potter) “Cool!” Sais Ron, “Oh, that’s disgusting” Sais Hermione.

There is a lot of scope of adapting the screenplay. However you should resist the temptation to make it too complicated or the plot too complex. You should not add more pictures or characters unless you are sure you can cope with the production. It’s better to add subtlety and quality to the production… to build in undercurrents of back-story and sub threads (like the Woman knows the pictures and always bring here first dates here to check them out).

Mibus
07-02-2007, 05:20 AM
- Is it possible to remove a previous WIP entry? I recently uploaded a slight update to a concept image, but it really isn't its own entry.
No. Don't worry about it - showing progress (even small tweaks) is what the challenge is about!

- I've created a post with links to my own web hosting... should I re-upload the images using the WIP tool and, if so, should/can I delete my original post?
You should, and you can ask flag me down and ask me to soft-delete the original post if that's what you want. (If there is any conversation about the piece, it will get confusing, so don't worry at all if it's better to leave it up!)

- If I upload a new WIP pic using the Submit functionality, will it update the thumbnail that is used for my thread? I linked to my own space to avoid having the thumbnail update.
Yes. Why don't you want a thumbnail?

mim-Armand
07-02-2007, 07:44 AM
Screenplay adaption’s:

What must remain is:

1. Two central characters that have just met for a first date in a gallery. One of the characters is good (a reasonable person who appreciates art and different points of view). The other person is bad (is a bit of a sleaze -- has no appreciation of art or other people’s opinions and is only interested in themselves and sex.)

2. Pictures that come to life and are sneaky, reacting to the bad persons comments.

3. The last picture has two or more characters in it -- one of whom replaces the bad person in the real world.

The setting could be anywhere... on earth or on an alien planet.

You can choose whatever pictures you want – or make up your own.

You can alter the ending to add a further twist.

We will be writing up notes on the screenplay to explain why it works and how you can vary it. Here is one example of the sort of variation I would personally consider…

The dragon is released from the picture at the end leaving the Guy trapped in the picture – he is chained up and his captor is the slave girl who is now wearing his shirt. The slave girl calls out to the dragon and the woman telling them to have fun. In the closing scene the woman turns to the dragon saying “Come on, I’m famished – French or Italian tonight?”.

“Italian", replies the dragon picking his teeth “I’m still trying to get last night’s Frenchman out of my teeth.”

For an real twist – at the end the camera could pull back revealing that the entire film up to date has been happening in a picture… with a closing voice over that sounds something like Ron and Hermione (Harry Potter) “Cool!” Sais Ron, “Oh, that’s disgusting” Sais Hermione.

There is a lot of scope of adapting the screenplay. However you should resist the temptation to make it too complicated or the plot too complex. You should not add more pictures or characters unless you are sure you can cope with the production. It’s better to add subtlety and quality to the production… to build in undercurrents of back-story and sub threads (like the Woman knows the pictures and always bring here first dates here to check them out).
Hey Mark!
thought it's not a good time to determine what have to remain on screenplay! Because someone just like me created their adaptions by now and working alot on storyboards, characters, concepts and even models! I adapted my story currently and developed it to be suite for project conditions, but it has not dragons on paintings for examplpe! or tow characters on last painting that replaced with John! here is now hard restrictions about story!
Now it is really a strange Behaviour!! :(

Btw jus my opinion, tnx, mim, :shrug:

MarkSnoswell
07-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey Mark!
thought it's not a good time to determine what have to remain on screenplay! Because someone just like me created their adaptions by now and working alot on storyboards, characters, concepts and even models! I adapted my story currently and developed it to be suite for project conditions, but it has not dragons on paintings for examplpe! or tow characters on last painting that replaced with John! here is now hard restrictions about story!
Now it is really a strange Behaviour!! :(

Btw jus my opinion, tnx, mim, :shrug:

I'm not sure what you mean --- I only gave examples of how I might adapt the screenplay personally. You have a lot more scope than my suggestions.

mim-Armand
07-02-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure what you mean --- I only gave examples of how I might adapt the screenplay personally. You have a lot more scope than my suggestions.
Tnx Mark for reply,
I thought these are new restrictions when you said "What must remain is"
Ok, so I guess my story is ok yet! really apreciate buddy! it would be a night mare to do allthing from first!

Tnx again and sorry for missundrestanding, mim, :thumbsup:

Goro
07-02-2007, 10:00 AM
hm I don't know if it was already asked but imgaes won't show up in certain threads.
When I go to the challenge page, I can see the thumbnails but I can't enlarge them.

Most of the threads are working fine though.....

I just realized that it seems to be a browser problem. I'm using opera and some
threads seem to cause problems while loading.
Seems to work fine in firefox.
I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem but anyways, just wanted to let you know.

Here are a couple of threads that doesn't work in opera...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=511399
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=512503
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=511015

strange that the problem appears only in a frew threads....

picolo
07-02-2007, 04:18 PM
hi
i would like to know if i can submit a animation that i m going to make for both the challenge and my end of studies work?

(the name of the school has to be displayed)

i m going to do all the work myself..

Imagus
07-02-2007, 04:50 PM
No. Don't worry about it - showing progress (even small tweaks) is what the challenge is about!It wasn't really an artistic tweak... just a signature and copyright notice on the image... that's why I was hoping to get rid of the original... but I guess it wouldn't hurt anything to leave it up, either. I did tweak the thread to only show the new version, so the old one is present in the assets, just not in the thread. Hope that's okay.

You should, and you can ask flag me down and ask me to soft-delete the original post if that's what you want. (If there is any conversation about the piece, it will get confusing, so don't worry at all if it's better to leave it up!)I may update it with an official version later today, provided there are no responses. On the plus, it's my own personal webspace, so it should be up for at least the life of the contest, most likely a great deal longer than that.

Yes. Why don't you want a thumbnail?In this case, the most recent update is character design noodling, which isn't nearly as representative as the original concept sketch... but I guess that replacing it wouldn't kill the thread... perhaps just make it stand out a little less.

Overall, I plan to share as much as possible on this project, both to get quality feedback and to give someone a good read (provided I actually finish).

Mibus
07-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I just realized that it seems to be a browser problem. I'm using opera and some threads seem to cause problems while loading.

I'd say this is the BMP issue I fixed yesterday, where instead of being saved as JPEGs, most of the challenge images were being saved as BMPs.

I should be able to get all of the images converted back to JPEGs today. New images are already JPEGs.

Ngon
07-03-2007, 04:16 AM
Although i went through all the pages, and so many questions answered, my question is, If i want to enter in the Animation category, is it ok if I:

-Model (1 or two characters) , lighting, texturing. etc.
-The final "STILL" tells a story.

No character animation(since i am not good at it).

Thanks!

Mibus
07-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Although i went through all the pages, and so many questions answered, my question is, If i want to enter in the Animation category, is it ok if I:

-Model (1 or two characters) , lighting, texturing. etc.
-The final "STILL" tells a story.

It doesn't need to be character animation, but it needs some form of animation - a fly-through, model turntable, etc. is fine.

cgoz
07-03-2007, 01:23 PM
i've designed a character and made an entry to the journey begins.
can i use the same character concept in an illustration? (not a 3d model or any piece from that entry)...and also am i allowed to model it again?

bstout
07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
any chance of posting the sctreenplay as a text file to make it easier to edit than the .pdf.
i know i should just retype teh whole thing with my changes; i'll spend riduculous hours modeling and animating, but i balk at a modest volume of retyping.

thanks

OmeN2501
07-03-2007, 07:29 PM
@MarkSnoswell:

That is some hard restrictions about the script :/ I thought its more important to stick to main theme of screenplay than to few key elements. And so for me its about one person luring other(s) into art gallery with mysterious paintings, and sacrifice them for personal gain. I thought that to make things more interesting I will make sacrifice a lot more meaningful than gain. And so in my adaptation we got little girl luring 4 soldiers into ruined art gallery (there is some war going on). At one point all of them are devoured by paintings and in return little girl gets her... teddy bear back. Now I'm no sure if its still adaptation because it doesn't have key points you selected form the script. It does have hoverer keypoints that carry same basic message and I thought its enough... is it?

markdc
07-03-2007, 10:57 PM
Screenplay adaption’s:

What must remain is:

I think I went outside the scope of this as well. Can you give us more leeway for our own creativity? It's going to be dull to have 50 versions of basically the same film. I've already re-written and storyboarded it. The restrictions are dissapointing.

-Mark

MarkSnoswell
07-04-2007, 02:23 AM
The screenplay variations I am seing look quite acceptable -- we will be quite flexible about this.

You can cut text from a PDF -- if your version of Acrobat wont do it then you can use the free PDF viewer - Foxit. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
But - I will ask Paul Gulino for a doc version.

markdc
07-04-2007, 08:28 AM
The screenplay variations I am seing look quite acceptable -- we will be quite flexible about this.

You can cut text from a PDF -- if your version of Acrobat wont do it then you can use the free PDF viewer - Foxit. http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
But - I will ask Paul Gulino for a doc version.

OK. Thanks.

safakilemur
07-04-2007, 09:32 AM
I think music would be important for my short film, but I have no means of making my own quality music. Are we allowed to use copywritten music in our films? I consider music a form of inspiration, so would it be enough to credit the music creators and such? Or would it only be possable if we got proper permision?

SteveTsang
07-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Howdy folks,

Just read in this thread about the flexibility of the screenplay adaptations and am a little concerened that the ending to my adaptation is not acceptable - no one leaves the paintings only people being trapped in them (in a nut shell) Is that not acceptable? Any help would be great. :shrug:

Thanks

Steve

Mibus
07-05-2007, 12:38 AM
I think music would be important for my short film, but I have no means of making my own quality music. Are we allowed to use copywritten music in our films? I consider music a form of inspiration, so would it be enough to credit the music creators and such? Or would it only be possable if we got proper permision?

Permission is required, absolutely.

By entering artwork, animation and copy to the competition the entrant warrants that they are the sole copyright holder, or they have obtained the rights sufficient for the purpose of the competition.

You can use external stuff, provided you get that permission and credit everything properly:
Entries may be inspired by and/or include a range of material from third parties. This is permissible as long as the finished entry is substantially a new work by the entrant(s).

Check out the rules page - http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/rules.php

MarkSnoswell
07-05-2007, 01:46 AM

Tricky -- you are doing a non-comercial work. If you corectly credit the music most musicians would be thrilled with the exposure, even if you didnt ask them beforehand. But some might object. You should get permission first... or use stuff that is out of copyright. Alternatively ask here for any leads for musicians who can do some music for you. In future challenges I want to bring the muscians into the mix -- for now you have to go out and find them yourselves.

Just read in this thread about the flexibility of the screenplay adaptations and am a little concerened that the ending to my adaptation is not acceptable - no one leaves the paintings only people being trapped in them (in a nut shell) Is that not acceptable?
We are going to quite flexible with the adaptions.

Dont worry. We are going to be quite flexible. If you choose to significantly change the plot your concern should be the telling of a good story. This is the crucial aspect that judges will be looking for.

SkullboX
07-05-2007, 03:45 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking about making a short for this contest as well but like so many others I'm not basing it on the given screenplay (can't, really, since I'm doing this for school credit for which it has to be an original concept).

Since this makes my entry only eligible for the animation catagory I was wondering whether or not story / directing / editing will be taken into account as well, or if this really more of a technical catagory. I've read this thread as well as the catagory descriptions, but I still think the seperate animation and short film catagories are a but confusing, sorry about that.

I'm going to create this short either way and will probably enter in any case if only for community feedback and stimulation, but it'd be nice to be sure what catagories to put it in and what to expect of it.

Thanks in advance and good luck to all participants,

digikris
07-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Mibus,

To adapt the Art Gallery script for short film. Is it ok to change the painting to a Sculpture in the story line. Like both characters are seeing odd sculptures instead of paintings.

Also i'm thinking of changing the dialogues to make it more interesting.

thank you,
Hari

MarkSnoswell
07-05-2007, 05:28 AM
Hi,
I'm thinking about making a short for this contest as well but like so many others I'm not basing it on the given screenplay (can't, really, since I'm doing this for school credit for which it has to be an original concept).

Since this makes my entry only eligible for the animation catagory I was wondering whether or not story / directing / editing will be taken into account as well,

Yes -- you should enter into the Animation category. THis will be judged primarily on Animation firts and then on everything else second. Stroy, editing, direction etx are all important, but secondary to animation.

To adapt the Art Gallery script for short film. Is it ok to change the painting to a Sculpture in the story line. Like both characters are seeing odd sculptures instead of paintings.
Also i'm thinking of changing the dialogues to make it more interesting.

Thats OK :)

MatthiasBuehlmann
07-05-2007, 06:19 AM
no one answered my question... may I enter with an interactive piece? i.e. some kind of 3d "game"

MarkSnoswell
07-05-2007, 06:26 AM
no one answered my question... may I enter with an interactive piece? i.e. some kind of 3d "game"

No, we have no mechanism for handling interactive works. You could record the result of an interactive work and upload it as a set animation in the Animation category.

MatthiasBuehlmann
07-06-2007, 07:20 AM
it's a pity...

pseudonympending
07-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi hi,

Having just got round to reading through all the rules and things :) I am a bit unsure if I'm doing the right thing by posting my work in the Illustration category here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=511267&page=5).

It's a 3D work but I orginally had no plans to animate anything however now think that I might. And I would definately like to be eligable for the modelling and texturing open categories.

Clearly I need to enter the Animation category but should I stop posting in the Illustration category or keep both running?

Is there any point in submitting final pieces in both categories?

Cheers,
Dave

Antalos
07-08-2007, 03:48 AM
Hi, I have two questions.

1) My username is a fake name, but in my profile I put my real name. The thing is, I just submitted some sketchs, and when I saw the copyright, It was refered to my username instead of my real name. Is there a problem with this situation and the rules of this challenge?, I mean, my work has Antalos by author, and that's not my real name. If there is a problem how can I solve it?

2) I am working in the short film cathegory, and I am not the team leader. The question is, am I allowed to submit my part of the work? or all the work of the team has to be submited by the team leader only?

Thanks for your time :)

markdc
07-08-2007, 03:53 AM
The process for uploading the Scratch Voice track milestone is not clear. What format should it be in?

PaulGulino
07-08-2007, 07:24 AM

You have a lot of leeway in adapting the screenplay, but I'd recommend caution.

If you change the setting, you have to change the reasons the characters are there (how many people go on a date to the library, for example?) and likely their relationship. That in turn will mean the dialogue will have to be changed. And you may need to add expository material to explain why the people are there.

By altering the setting, you’ve introduced a lot of new variables, in addition to the visual realization of the script. The more variables, the more likely that something will go wrong.

PaulGulino
07-08-2007, 07:30 AM
@MarkSnoswell:

That is some hard restrictions about the script :/ I thought its more important to stick to main theme of screenplay than to few key elements. And so for me its about one person luring other(s) into art gallery with mysterious paintings, and sacrifice them for personal gain. I thought that to make things more interesting I will make sacrifice a lot more meaningful than gain. And so in my adaptation we got little girl luring 4 soldiers into ruined art gallery (there is some war going on). At one point all of them are devoured by paintings and in return little girl gets her... teddy bear back. Now I'm no sure if its still adaptation because it doesn't have key points you selected form the script. It does have hoverer keypoints that carry same basic message and I thought its enough... is it?

The challenge here is the added complexity to a three minute story. Two people on a date at an art gallery is a situation most viewers will grasp within a half minute. When the magic starts to happen (i.e., the paintings come to life), people recognize it as odd and sit forward in their seats to find out what’s going to happen, and what the mystery is.

The scenario you pitch will require you to introduce a girl, four soldiers, their relationship (which will not be obvious), the fact of a war going on, why these people are going to a ruined museum in wartime, and the nature of the world (e.g., is it a world where magic is commonplace? If so, does that diminish the impact of the magic?) That alone might take three minutes or more. Then you've got four soldiers getting into trouble (instead of just one character), which takes still more screen time. You may well wind up with a ten minute film, which may in the end may not be as clear from a story viewpoint as the original.

Remember that strict parameters can be very freeing, in that they free contestants to focus energy on realization of the visual and performance aspects of a film, on accentuating the key moments and delivering them with maximum impact, rather than simultaneously having to deal with whether or not the story is clear or even understood.

safakilemur
07-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Ya, I sort of got too deep into my script writing too at one piont. I ended up having a story and necessary charector development. Well it was heartbreaking to pull away from that idea, but it would have been easily 15 minutes, lol. So I suggest to keep it really simple chums! A two minute quality video is already hard to pull off, let alone 10 minutes. Oh well after this contest I plan to complete the 15 minute version too, cause I just got too attached to it, lol.

PaulGulino
07-08-2007, 09:31 PM
safakilemur, (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=274225)

Saving the longer script for a later project sounds like a good plan!

You never know -- it may blossom into a feature film -- it's happened before.

Mibus
07-09-2007, 02:59 AM
The process for uploading the Scratch Voice track milestone is not clear. What format should it be in?

FLV.

Clearly I need to enter the Animation category but should I stop posting in the Illustration category or keep both running?

Is there any point in submitting final pieces in both categories?

You can enter both, but they must be different. eg., Use the Illustration category to show off your art, and the animation category to fly around your scene / model and show off your technical skills.

Mibus
07-09-2007, 03:03 AM
1) My username is a fake name, but in my profile I put my real name. The thing is, I just submitted some sketchs, and when I saw the copyright, It was refered to my username instead of my real name. Is there a problem with this situation and the rules of this challenge?, I mean, my work has Antalos by author, and that's not my real name. If there is a problem how can I solve it?

It looks like when you entered the challenge, you only had your username, and hadn't yet filled in your full real name; so that has been used for the copyright assignment. I've updated your entry form and all future images submitted should be correctly marked.

2) I am working in the short film cathegory, and I am not the team leader. The question is, am I allowed to submit my part of the work? or all the work of the team has to be submited by the team leader only?
Only the team leader can submit work into the Short Film category. You can take your work and re-enter it separately in the Animation or Illustration categories, provided your team leader is OK with that.

safakilemur
07-09-2007, 06:28 AM
safakilemur, (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=274225)

Saving the longer script for a later project sounds like a good plan!

You never know -- it may blossom into a feature film -- it's happened before.

I'm afraid it's already blossomed into a lengthy enough story and development that it can technically become a nice little feature film one day, haha. Even though I've temporarily dropped the idea, I still can't stop thinking about it and adding to it. Well hey, it might have it's chance one day. After all, my major goal is to become a movie director one day XD.

PS PaulGulino, my hair might be longer then yours MUHAHAHA

PaulGulino
07-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm afraid it's already blossomed into a lengthy enough story and development that it can technically become a nice little feature film one day, haha. Even though I've temporarily dropped the idea, I still can't stop thinking about it and adding to it. Well hey, it might have it's chance one day. After all, my major goal is to become a movie director one day XD.

PS PaulGulino, my hair might be longer then yours MUHAHAHA

Keep adding to the story -- and keep your major goal in mind!

As to hair -- well, your avatar has only fur -- and not very long fur at that...

OmeN2501
07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
The challenge here is the added complexity to a three minute story. Two people on a date at an art gallery is a situation most viewers will grasp within a half minute. When the magic starts to happen (i.e., the paintings come to life), people recognize it as odd and sit forward in their seats to find out what’s going to happen, and what the mystery is.

The scenario you pitch will require you to introduce a girl, four soldiers, their relationship (which will not be obvious), the fact of a war going on, why these people are going to a ruined museum in wartime, and the nature of the world (e.g., is it a world where magic is commonplace? If so, does that diminish the impact of the magic?) That alone might take three minutes or more. Then you've got four soldiers getting into trouble (instead of just one character), which takes still more screen time. You may well wind up with a ten minute film, which may in the end may not be as clear from a story viewpoint as the original.

Remember that strict parameters can be very freeing, in that they free contestants to focus energy on realization of the visual and performance aspects of a film, on accentuating the key moments and delivering them with maximum impact, rather than simultaneously having to deal with whether or not the story is clear or even understood.

Hmm.. all good points... still we have like 4 minutes... few quick dialogs could clear thing up :] I'm gonna write that screenplay, and see if I can fit it in those time restrictions. Thanks for big help !!

safakilemur
07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Keep adding to the story -- and keep your major goal in mind!

As to hair -- well, your avatar has only fur -- and not very long fur at that...

Yes I'll keep my major goal in mind! I keep telling myself to die trying :D

and my avatar doesn't look too much like me in real life, so I got beaten in that round XD

bstout
07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Yes I'll keep my major goal in mind! I keep telling myself to die trying

we'd rather see you live and succeed.

safakilemur
07-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Hahaha, thanks, I hope so too.

Well I'll also take this time to ask a forum upload question that makes me feel really dumb in asking. I have no idea how to upload pictures in my own contest thread. It's says in the little rules box on the bottom of the page "You may not post attatchments". So I'm hoping there's a way to upload pics into my own thread with my ...cough, cough... free basic account. Much appreciated!

bstout
07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
how to upload pictures in my own contest thread.

yeah, i puzzeld over that one for a little while myself, this being my first challenge and all.

so go to the challenge page where you went to enter.
click where it says submit entry.

or click here
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/submit_entry.php

scroll down to the bottom, sign in and upload your images.
i believe jpg is the recommended format, they must be less than 150 Kb.

safakilemur
07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Sweet, thanx a bunch

LarryPhillips
07-10-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm seeing confusion with a least one entry into the animation category. Is the animation category for individuals only? This is mentioned in Instructions and also in the first post of the FAQ -but is not stated in the Rules.

Thanks

lobachevscki
07-10-2007, 03:46 AM
Hi guys:

Maybe this is a silly question, but this is my first challenge. I haven't understood the team management issue. I have been chosen as a team leader, but...

- the whole team have to be part of the challenge in the "enter the challenge" section? or is only necessary that I invited them to be part of the team?... so far the whole team has entered in the challenge.

- Some of my team fellas has entries in the short film section (entries about our work as team) cuz as I said, we haven't understood well the team management issue... we can be disqualify if I start other post (as team leader) with our work as team?... how I can "erase" those entries, and start other thread about it (as team leader)? it is necessary?. I imagine that you can see whose are my teamworkers, so, maybe you can fix it if there is a problem.

- As team leader, how much information can or must I give of our project?, for example: we want put some photos to introduce ourselves and our work place, may I do that?. What are teh restrictions about it?.

- The numbers of entrys I upload counts in anyway to the judgement?, i.e.: I have little more chance if a upload a lot of our work with some proper explanation, or it doesn´t count for nothing?. Same question with te forum participation

Thanks in advanced.

Mibus
07-10-2007, 05:42 AM
- the whole team have to be part of the challenge in the "enter the challenge" section? or is only necessary that I invited them to be part of the team?... so far the whole team has entered in the challenge.

No, they needn't enter themselves.

- Some of my team fellas has entries in the short film section (entries about our work as team) cuz as I said, we haven't understood well the team management issue... we can be disqualify if I start other post (as team leader) with our work as team?... how I can "erase" those entries, and start other thread about it (as team leader)? it is necessary?. I imagine that you can see whose are my teamworkers, so, maybe you can fix it if there is a problem.

Just post in the non-leader's threads that you're all going to use the one thread, and link to it.

- As team leader, how much information can or must I give of our project?, for example: we want put some photos to introduce ourselves and our work place, may I do that?. What are teh restrictions about it?.
As much as you want! Put it in your thread.

- The numbers of entrys I upload counts in anyway to the judgement?, i.e.: I have little more chance if a upload a lot of our work with some proper explanation, or it doesn´t count for nothing?. Same question with te forum participation
WIP progress posts & forum participation is absolutely encouraged.

dreezle
07-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Hello everybody,

when entering the modeling categorie will objects scuplted in ZBrush or Mudbox be judged the same as objects that are modelled with standard techniques like boxmodeling?

Will the judges look at the topography or polycount of an object?
When i look at models made in ZBrush or mudbox it has way more details than anyone can model in a modeling program.

Greets and goodluck with the contest everybody.

Dries

MarkSnoswell
07-12-2007, 03:39 AM
when entering the modeling categorie will objects scuplted in ZBrush or Mudbox be judged the same as objects that are modelled with standard techniques like boxmodeling?

This is the real world, results matter -- not tools and methods used. Its not just ZBrush and Mudbox that offer the ability to paint lots of detail. There are features and tricks availble in all of the major 3D systems to paint lots of detail.

In the end it's up to you to best present your modelling -- fly arounds, close up's, different lighting to show off features.

PaulGulino
07-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Hmm.. all good points... still we have like 4 minutes... few quick dialogs could clear thing up :] I'm gonna write that screenplay, and see if I can fit it in those time restrictions. Thanks for big help !!

Good luck!

One thing about explanatory dialogue (aka exposition) -- try to be as spare with it as possible.

Have you ever been to a restaurant, and overheard the conversation of the people at the next table, and based on what you overheard, pieced together what they were talking about and what their relationships were?

That's the effect you try to achieve with expository dialogue. The characters are present and living their lives, and in their dialogue you give hints to the audience about who the characters are and what they're doing, and the audience will naturally try to figure it out.

E.g., look at the opening of my script. It could very well begin with Amy saying to John: "Nice to meet you. I read in your personal ad that you like art, so I'm glad you agreed to come to the art gallery with me tonight. Let's check out the paintings!"

It could begin that way, but it would be completely unnecessary. I put the characters right in the middle of their activity, and the audience is readily capable of figuring all that out without any character saying it.

safakilemur
07-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Ya, I'm not having too much dialog in the intro scene, just because I don't want to waste too much of my 4 minutes. But I figured that the scene suggested that it was a date; but because of the lack of info, not everybody in the audiance would cue in that it was a date happening. Then eventually I got the idea of naming the title something that tells the audiance that it's a date. That way I don't have to change my intro, and the audiance won't be confused. So yes chums, I decided to share that, because some of you might find that handy too. Use a catchy title that moves the plot forward, before the showeven starts. And that concludes my rant for tonight :)

Joblh
07-12-2007, 06:17 PM
guys, am I the only one missing one vital function for the animation category? >.. the possibility to upload animated shots and animatics. :hmm:

Naneel
07-12-2007, 09:52 PM
hi, i'm new here. i was wondering if i could enter the challenge with a hand maid sculpture model, or does it have to be only digital?

ps. sorry if this was already asked.

JurajMolcak
07-13-2007, 01:56 AM
guys, am I the only one missing one vital function for the animation category? >.. the possibility to upload animated shots and animatics. :hmm:

hey buddy, great to see you challenging again. Just use cgupploader I guess, all instructions are here http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/deliverables.php
That´s what we did last time during EON and it was smooth. Cheers,

killer-instinct93
07-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I just have a quick question after seeing someone else ask it earlier (which I can't find the answer for).

The only product I have licensed on my home computer is Alias Sketchbook Pro, but I have access to Maya, Photoshop and a few other programs on the comupters at school. I am not able to access the license files or prove the authenticity of those programs, I can only use them.

And I've already used up the trial periods on Photoshop and Maya at home before this challenge was started, so I can't use them now.

Is this worry of mine realistic, or is the authenticity of each user's software not required?

safakilemur
07-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Is this worry of mine realistic, or is the authenticity of each user's software not required?[/QUOTE]

Well probably there wasn't an answer to that question in the forum, because it probably isn't a requirement or an issue. Using school computers sounds fine to me (not that I'm a competition rule person, or anything like that, so don't frown upon me if I'm proven wrong:). Well after all, the people hosting this contest are encouraging anyone to enter this contest. I'd say they're looking for skilled people, not people who can afford expensive software licenses :)

lobachevscki
07-15-2007, 08:51 PM
1.- As I said, some of our team members published our work advances, but I am the team leader, I already begun a new post for our project, putting in it the link for the post of our team mates, but may I upload again the advances, just for maintain order and cohesion?.

2.- Is ther a better way to upload our advances, 'cuz when I have to upload a several sketches I have to login again and again in the "submit entry" section to do it, and it ìs stressing jejejeje.

Thanks in advanced.

Mibus
07-16-2007, 01:26 AM
Is this worry of mine realistic, or is the authenticity of each user's software not required?

We won't check the licenses (there's no feasible way for us to do so), but we don't condone piracy and don't allow the discussion of piracy on CGTalk. Feel free to use your school's software if they're OK with that.

1.- As I said, some of our team members published our work advances, but I am the team leader, I already begun a new post for our project, putting in it the link for the post of our team mates, but may I upload again the advances, just for maintain order and cohesion?.

2.- Is ther a better way to upload our advances, 'cuz when I have to upload a several sketches I have to login again and again in the "submit entry" section to do it, and it ìs stressing jejejeje.

1. Yup, go ahead.
2. Sorry, no.

MarkSnoswell
07-16-2007, 03:09 AM
I just have a quick question after seeing someone else ask it earlier (which I can't find the answer for).

The only product I have licensed on my home computer is Alias Sketchbook Pro, but I have access to Maya, Photoshop and a few other programs on the comupters at school. I am not able to access the license files or prove the authenticity of those programs, I can only use them.

And I've already used up the trial periods on Photoshop and Maya at home before this challenge was started, so I can't use them now.

While I cant speak for software makers... dont worry. We only look at your finished work. In any case you are doing non comercial work that will only serve to promote whatever software you use.

Most software manufacturers are realistic -- in print they ofically say that everything must be paid for. In reality they are usually thrilled if people just do the right thing -- if you do non commercial work and you credit their software it helps them. As long as you buy software as soon as you make money from using it you are doing the right thing. Most of the software makers also have educational versions that are so cheap that there is little reason not to buy them.

Nothingness
07-16-2007, 03:18 AM
if you do non commercial work and you credit their software it helps them.

It's a fact that for most people an excellent computer costs a lot of money, and the software all together could cost up to 2 or 3 times that hardware. And let's face it, unfortunately not everybody got that kind of money. Especially when it all together comes to the price of a new classy car and we all are in a learning stage.

but software companies should benefit that lot's of people learn their apps in the long run.

Kaidonni
07-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Okay, back from my 2 week holiday in France...

Hope this is the right place to ask this question...

I'm thinking of joining in with the challenge, and have an idea of what I might like to do, and have been reading the rules...and I'd like to know exactly if this is idea could be used...

I was simply thinking through different ideas, and in another thread, someone referred to cute cuddly aliens (it was Mibus' challenge thread, I believe). That got me thinking of doing something connected to the Alien movies...

Now, if I have read the rules correctly, I will need to credit these movies as inspiration and gain written permission from the original creator - and if I want to use the likeness of, say, Sigourney Weaver, I need to gain written permission from her (and any other actors/actresses). Is there anything I'm missing, getting wrong, etc? Or should I just go with a different idea?

Thanks for any help in this issue. I seriously don't want to get into any kind of trouble, so that's why I query this.

EDIT: This wouldn't be an animation, just an illustration. I know I'd have to adhere to the provided screenplay for any animations.

mim-Armand
07-16-2007, 01:09 PM
EDIT: This wouldn't be an animation, just an illustration. I know I'd have to adhere to the provided screenplay for any animations.
You don't have to adhere to screenplay for Animation section! It's just for Short's section, ;)
mim

Kaidonni
07-16-2007, 05:04 PM

Just checked the rules, and yeah, I hadn't really looked at the categories section before now (been on holiday for 2 weeks). Anyone able to chime-in on my original query? Thanks in advance.

mim-Armand
07-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Hmmm! sorry! It's just an stupidly mistake! :eek:

Again apologize, mim :sad:

JurajMolcak
07-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Dunno if here is the right place or what! But I get a virus alert on Strange Bihavior challenge pages!...

hey, you have "3dtotal.com" in your image (?) Where is the connection with strange behavior challenge ?

Mibus
07-19-2007, 12:23 AM
mim-Armand: I don't see a connection between what you're posting and anything to do with the CGSociety - I'd suggest taking it up with the 3dtotal folks.

Kaidonni: Yes, that sounds like the best way to go. Credit inspiration, get authorisation for using someone's likeness.

mim-Armand
07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
mim-Armand: I don't see a connection between what you're posting and anything to do with the CGSociety - I'd suggest taking it up with the 3dtotal folks.

ooops! Yeah! sorry! me stupid! really can't believe how I did this mistake! :(
thought I browsing both sites in tow tabs! Btw I saw another alert in 3dt again & I thought it's a interuption between v-buletan and mc-afee in both servers but seems it's just in 3DT! Btw I said them currently, (hope that one wasn't for another site!:sad: )

sorry again and again, mim

Tris3d
07-22-2007, 10:09 AM
Hello there, sorry for asking a question at this late stage but I was wondering if you could set me straight on something?

I've read all the rules and faq and unless i'm being incredibly stupid a cannot find any information on the use of real footage? I basically want to treat my entry as a special effects piece that will involve camera matching creatures against a live plate. I'm sure I read that this is allowed in the sort film category but I dont feel like I can produce 4 mins. As a lot of people have told one man teams to enter the animation category is it still possible to use real footage as a background element?

Many thanks in advance!

Tristan

MarkSnoswell
07-23-2007, 01:55 AM
I basically want to treat my entry as a special effects piece that will involve camera matching creatures against a live plate. I'm sure I read that this is allowed in the sort film category but I dont feel like I can produce 4 mins. As a lot of people have told one man teams to enter the animation category is it still possible to use real footage as a background element?

Yes -- you can use live footage however you want - in whatever category you want.

Tris3d
07-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Excellent, thank you!

jakeDaMus
07-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Hi

Can I enter a Team to complete a 2min 3d Animated film?
We want to enter this competition as a school team project.
The team is of 16 Animation students who will be split into 3d Depts for an Industry excercise. I have come up with the concept, script and art.
Is this possible?

If so, I will be project managing shall I post for all of the team? All the team have registered on CGtalk.

Jake

Mibus
07-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Can I enter a Team to complete a 2min 3d Animated film?

Team entries are only allowed in the Short Film category, which requires you to use a given screen play. More details here (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/categories.php).

bstout
07-25-2007, 03:27 AM
I wanted to upload a hairtest for Amy in the previz category.
I managed to upgrade my java, open the uploader, and get my .flv rejected.
The Cg uploader told me this is a privelge only for CGSociety members.
I admit i'm cheap(budget conscious) and have only signed up for cgtalk.

I don't need to upload video tests as i go, its just about participation. But as a cgtalk member, will the uploader allow me to upload video or audio in later categories?

will this membership issue prevent me from uploading my final video (praying i get there)?

Mibus
07-25-2007, 05:55 AM
The Cg uploader told me this is a privelge only for CGSociety members.

You're just using the wrong JAR file - use this one (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/challengeuploader.jar).

walrus
07-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Is something wrong with the 'submit entry' uplaoder today? I'm noticing a lot of entries in the Illustration section with no thumbnails next to the thread. I had one... until I submitted a new entry about an hour ago and now I don't seem to have a thumbnail either. :(

edit: Many hours later, it seems to have fixed itself. Or been fixed by you. Either way, thank you! :)

Mibus
07-26-2007, 02:15 AM
We had an issue overnight with the CGS Features mirror server (which is where many image files are kept). It ran out of space and couldn't cache new images properly. I'm in the middle of cleaning up some extra free room on it now.

gillty20
07-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Guys how do i check if i'm listed with someone as a team member? I've tried the team management tab and it doesn't display even though we've both invited eachother and accepted, we don't see eachother. What's up?

Mibus
07-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Guys how do i check if i'm listed with someone as a team member? I've tried the team management tab and it doesn't display even though we've both invited eachother and accepted, we don't see eachother. What's up?

Two things:

1) The team leader invites people, they just accept the invites to be considered part of the team. Since only the team leader can submit an entry, nobody else needs to "enter".

2) I've added a "Team Members" list to the Team Leader's challenge page (eg. here (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=13717)). We weren't actually showing this publicly until the end of the challenge, which wasn't ideal.

markdc
07-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I can't get the challengeuploader to work. After I select the flv file it says "Attaching file: filename" but the progress bar never goes past 0% and the Upload File button is always greyed out.

Figured it out. I have to include a preview image with my video. However when I play the video it still has the banner for the EON challenge above it.

Mibus
07-30-2007, 01:00 AM
I can't get the challengeuploader to work. After I select the flv file it says "Attaching file: filename" but the progress bar never goes past 0% and the Upload File button is always greyed out.

Figured it out. I have to include a preview image with my video. However when I play the video it still has the banner for the EON challenge above it.

Ah, the links are being made wrong. Thanks!

Versiden
07-31-2007, 07:27 PM
hi there

I was wondering for the animation category, there is no milestone for animation or animatic. How do ppl crit animation that is done if you have decided to do your own screenplay?

thx

Mibus
08-01-2007, 12:46 AM
You can post an FLV for any of the milestones, and you can post multiple times per milestone. That way you can show all of your progress in lots of detail :)

hv
08-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Is the uploader being worked on again? I tried to upload an flv as before, the video and image file uploaded okay but then it gives a message saying that I am not part of the challenge.

Mibus
08-02-2007, 02:07 AM
The uploader hasn't been touched for some weeks.

Check that:

You're submitting with the current uploader (re-download it?)
You're submitting for the right category (Short Film vs. Animation)
You're the Team Leader, if it's the Short Film category.

hv
08-02-2007, 03:36 AM
Thanks Robert.

I was blindly uploading to the Animation modelling category since I wanted to post a modelling wip. Picked the right one now.

macling
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
I entered the short film category and invited a team member...
later I realised the "art" gallery treatment that one must visualize in the short film category...
my fault definitely, but I want to do my own theme interpretation/animation. So I want to switch to animation category wich is a single entry category. How do I reject my invitation (as for now my invited teammember wasn't active) to be able to enter the animation category?

Mibus
08-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Just PM the other person to let them know, and post in your Short Film thread that you're changing categories. That's all you need to do!

macling
08-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Alright ...thanks for reply! I did that! ...what confuses me is that my entry is still located in the shortfilm thread.

Mibus
08-03-2007, 07:33 AM
It's OK that your old thread is still there, as long as your new thread is in the right category (and you make sure that's where all of your uploads are going).

macling
08-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Ah Ok...that means I need to open a new thread in the animation category?
When I go via submit entry in the anim category my therad in the short film category is updated...and I'm not allowed to just open a new thread in the anim category...

Edit: Alright my problem is solved- opening new thread in animation category is done and uploads are working! Thanks !

Dragonassasin
08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
what denotes concept art does it haveto be colored and can it just be a scan of a hand drawn picture. I can draw(sort of) but im not de vinci.

also can i sell parts of my scene on other sites(same user name) as i make it its always good to have some capital behind the entry.

thanks dragon99assasin@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/dragon99assasin@gmail.com)

Ligo
08-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Hello, I am wondering in the illustration category when we are supposed to enter a "in the making of" i cant find a place to do that. Is it just if you win you turn that in or do you use the milestones? Or can i use my own webpagespace to create that detailed pictography as the competition proceeds? Of course submitting larger milestones in the uploader meanwhile.

Thanks for a great competition so far!

killer-instinct93
08-04-2007, 10:39 AM
Here's a quick question, how do I get replies and feedback?

I'm now up to seven entries of steps so far, and have only gotten seven replies from two different users, and its now been about three weeks. I look around and see people with one scribbled concept sketch get a hole page of replies within a day.

Is there something I'm missing here? Have I been doing something wrong that is scaring people away? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'd really like to know, especially if others are in the same boat.

I haven't been here very long, but I figured this board would work the same as any others I've belonged to. I figured people would be eager to check out the progression of every entry.

Ligo
08-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi again, i am also wondering about a small problem, i changed my really old nickname into Ligo a while ago but i can see on my challenge page that the old Celo is still used. Is this possible to change? would be great since it says Ligo everywhere else including the challenge forum :)

ciao

GabrieleGabba
08-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi

My team member and i joined the shortfilm category individually only to realise that only one of us needed to do so in order to start a group.

Now both of us are on the shortfilm thread and i'm not sure if we're in a group.

Can i remove my entrance status? Should i? Or should i just post all my WIPs in his thread?

Or am i talking monkies and cheese here?

thanks.

Mibus
08-06-2007, 03:17 AM
Here's a quick question, how do I get replies and feedback?

And a suitably quick answer, go out and give it. Seriously. Update your signature to have an obvious Strange Behaviour link, and go and comment constructively on other people's threads. It's the best way to get people clicking back through to your entry, and (hopefully) from there, commenting.

Ligo: That should be sorted now.

Can i remove my entrance status? Should i? Or should i just post all my WIPs in his thread?

Just ignore your entry. He needs to go to the Team Management area and invite you. After that, he needs to post the WIPs (if you try they'll end up in the wrong thread).

Macedones
08-06-2007, 11:51 PM
HELLO THERE,

I HEARD WE CAN USE MODELS FROM THE INTERNET IF WANTED, BUT WE HAVE TO USE THE CREDITS.
IN MY CASE, I WANT TO ANIMATE TWO DEVIL`S PLAYING POKER FOR THE ''ANIMATION'' CATEGORY.
THE DEVIL I WILL USE, WILL BE MODELED BY MY FRIEND. CAN I HOPE TO WIN THE ''ANIMATION'' CATEGORY,WHILE HE HOPE'S TO WIN FOR THE ''MODELING'' ONE?

THANK YOU FOR THE HELP, I COULDN'T FIND THE ANSWER TO THAT ANYWHERE;

FERNANDO MACEDO

** STRANGE BEHAVIOUR LINK: http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/

..............................................................................................................................

And a suitably quick answer, go out and give it. Seriously. Update your signature to have an obvious Strange Behaviour link, and go and comment constructively on other people's threads. It's the best way to get people clicking back through to your entry, and (hopefully) from there, commenting.

Ligo: That should be sorted now.

Just ignore your entry. He needs to go to the Team Management area and invite you. After that, he needs to post the WIPs (if you try they'll end up in the wrong thread).

Mibus
08-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Macedones: First, please don't use all-caps - it hurts my ears :)

By my reading of the rules: yes, but your friend can't enter the modeling challenge with anything derived from the work he gives you. He must also give you full rights to use the model, else you fall afoul of the rules. He must be credited.

Macedones
08-07-2007, 02:18 AM
Thank you very much :)

All the best!

Pikmin
08-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Question about rules no 13 ( Any image deemed to contain content that depicts ...). Its really relative for everyone if the idea is inappropriate. Do you have any exemple you dont want to see, or thing that could pass? If my idee is inappropriate, will I be advided now or at the end of the challenge?

Edit : As an extreme exemple , would be you offend if any piece of art of the master HR Giger would be in the challenge?

Mibus
08-09-2007, 12:52 AM
Question about rules no 13 ( Any image deemed to contain content that depicts ...). Its really relative for everyone if the idea is inappropriate. Do you have any exemple you dont want to see, or thing that could pass? If my idee is inappropriate, will I be advided now or at the end of the challenge?

Edit : As an extreme exemple , would be you offend if any piece of art of the master HR Giger would be in the challenge?

That's less likely to be a problem; the rule is more to stop obscene & vulgar material from making the final judging.

GabrieleGabba
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Okay guys.

1.) I love this challenge.
2.) I'm sorry but the instructions are badly organised and downright confusing on this site.
3.) I have made the error of entering myself in the short film category along with my friend who is supposed to be my team leader but now when he sends me an invitation to join his group and i accept nothing happens.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=13680

That's his thread and i don't appear on the list.

I'm really tired of all the issues we've been having trying to organise ourselves here. Please what do you think we should do? If he mentions (as he has) that we are in a team in his thread, is that good enough? Cause we can't seem to do it any other way.

Tremoside
08-10-2007, 08:00 AM
Hi Robert,

I made a mistake, please help me.... I have multiple posts in submitted entries area on (challenge page). It's confusing a bit. Title is: MrWoods_pack Notes: Viewport grab. Simple. Day of submission: 09 of August. Can you cut 2 of the 3 posts? I already edited it in the thread. Thanks for! Also thanks for the countinuous support for years :thumbsup:

Link to challenge page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=13727)

Mark

diegopit
08-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Hello,

Some people in my team is a little worried about this matter because there is no place that say's that we can get inspired by the Paul Gulino screenplay but adap it with an original idea, it only say's that you can get inspirations in art of CG Society books or Balistic Publishing books.

You can read our story in my thread just go down in the thread till you find it this is the link:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=223&t=518543&page=3&pp=15

Please if someone knows about this all my team will appreciate it very much.

Thank you

Diego Herrera

kdawgjetz
08-11-2007, 07:42 PM
hi, i am kind of having difficulty posting images...can anyone guide me in how to post images in this Strange Behavior Contest. I want to post images not by link but directly onto the page...i know its a stupid question but i was having trouble with it.

lawrencekoh
08-12-2007, 04:37 AM
Pleasr pardon me for sending my images to the wrong category. I am suppose to submit these images to the illustration category as eventually I am submitting my 3D models without animation. Can someone please advice?

Thanks.

Mibus
08-13-2007, 01:06 AM
1.) I love this challenge.
I'm glad :)
2.) I'm sorry but the instructions are badly organised and downright confusing on this site.
We are always working to improve the instructions. Feel free to email me <robert@ballisticmedia.net> with anything you found particularly difficult. We may have to wait until the next challenge to make sufficient changes, but everything will be considered.
3.) I have made the error of entering myself in the short film category along with my friend who is supposed to be my team leader but now when he sends me an invitation to join his group and i accept nothing happens.
You weren't marked in the system as having accepted the invitation, perhaps something there went wrong. I've marked it for you.

Mibus
08-13-2007, 01:10 AM
I made a mistake, please help me....

All sorted.

Mibus
08-13-2007, 01:18 AM
Some people in my team is a little worried about this matter because there is no place that say's that we can get inspired by the Paul Gulino screenplay but adap it with an original idea

You're really stretching the definition of "adaptation", but you should be ok.

Mibus
08-13-2007, 01:20 AM
hi, i am kind of having difficulty posting images...can anyone guide me in how to post images in this Strange Behavior Contest. I want to post images not by link but directly onto the page...i know its a stupid question but i was having trouble with it.

Did you join (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/enter.php)? Once you have, you can visit the submit entries (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/submit_entry.php) page.

Pleasr pardon me for sending my images to the wrong category. I am suppose to submit these images to the illustration category as eventually I am submitting my 3D models without animation. Can someone please advice?
Just comment in your thread what you did wrong, and re-submit them to the right category. No problem :)

Dragonassasin
08-13-2007, 01:24 AM
the requirements for concept art is a bit vauge does it need to be colored,well drawn because i can model but... i cant draw and i need to know the specifics because i can use stick figures with writing for my own reference and ill be good to model i just need you input. also can i enter but not have anything but concept art.

GabrieleGabba
08-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Oh yes.

It's looking great, thanks a lot!

Keep up the good work :)

Tremoside
08-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Thank You Mibus :wavey:

Mibus
08-14-2007, 01:01 AM
the requirements for concept art is a bit vauge does it need to be colored,well drawn because i can model but... i cant draw and i need to know the specifics because i can use stick figures with writing for my own reference and ill be good to model i just need you input. also can i enter but not have anything but concept art.

It's deliberately vague, you can put up pretty much anything you want - line art, coloured line art, hand sketches, 3d pre-vis, ...

Dragonassasin
08-14-2007, 02:03 AM
can i declare my idea and post the concept art later that way im in it and i have my idea secured im just away from my computer and cant post the image (im at work the let me on line and its a slow job)

and just to double check you can enter into diferent parts like the animation and the still image section right so long as its not the same thing like a still of a juggling polarbear and an animation of one (thats not my entrie just an example)

and finally am i allowed to sell my models on a third party site once i complete them or should i wait until the end of the competition so peple dont think im riping my own models it is the same name and such

im new at this and though i might not win i love the opertunity to enter in compititions like this and improve my skills and sorry im long winded

Mibus
08-14-2007, 02:23 AM
1. If you want.

2. Yes, you can enter separate things in separate categories.

3. Yes, but you should wait until the end of the challenge.

4. Good luck!

Dragonassasin
08-14-2007, 02:29 AM
thanks man saves me time in the long run and lets me plan things out

jakeDaMus
08-16-2007, 01:22 AM
Is there a Category for Technical Efforts?

For our example. To bring to life our characters we have a very complicated Rig for all the deformations, IK, Facial Blends and UI.

As you know this is a very important part for any animation production. Especially the R&D involved in planning and execution. In our team Kieran Thawley has done a great job which he is spending 2 weeks.

Could you suggest a category that he can enter in?

Best
Jake

Mibus
08-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Read this:

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/categories.php

The first three are the "real" categories that you enter. The others you just qualify for, either automatically by being in one of the first three categories, or by supplying something extra (eg. making of footage tacked on the end of your video).

Dehghani
08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
hi.
I uploaded a Concept Sketch but it didn’t displayed on my first post or in my challenge page. just as my last post!
please help me to correct this problem.
thank you.
my tread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=529528

killer-instinct93
08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
Ok recently I've been seeing a lot of entries that I'm questioning how they display any sort of strange behavior. I thought maybe I misread something in the instructions, but I've checked again, and the description says 'a display of unusual behavior or relationships.'

Many that I have seen are simply strange looking characters, not necessarily doing strange things. Either that, or their is behavior that is completely natural given the character doing it, but the artist considers it to be strange.

My question is, will these submissions still be considered when judging?

Mibus
08-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Dehghani: Please try re-submitting it. It's shown up on the forum but hasn't been saved properly into the CGChallenge system itself. If you keep having the trouble, email me directly <robert@ballisticmedia.net>. (I've removed the one you need to re-upload, otherwise you'll get it twice in your thread...)

killer-instinct93: Absolutely they'll be considered, but if they're deemed to not sufficiently portray the theme they won't be able to get a prize-winning place.

Nennad
08-17-2007, 09:38 AM
What if I discover that my concept is very simmilar to another participant entry, by accident? Is it ok to proceed or to abandon idea ?

Example:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=512765&highlight=turtle

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=529534

thanks,
Nenad

targus
08-17-2007, 12:44 PM
I can't enter FTP server. There is no help or even FTP address here on CGTalk, so WHERE to submit my final entry ???
I search all over the CGTalk and did not find any information about FTP.
So i used CGChallenge Uploader, but what about FTP ?

... heh even with CGChallenge Uploader i can't upload a final image..

living_for_cg
08-17-2007, 06:17 PM
Hi.
I came across a problem and want to leave it to challenge leaders to decide about it.
Problem : An idea came to my mind and i checked some pages to see if there is any one the same and i didnt find anything similar(or i missed to see it). After submitting my idea some one replied that there is already a thread with a similar idea.

my Entry: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=529838
csdani (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=142627) Entry: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?threadid=516377

Now i wanna know what should i do? Continue or cancel it? (i didnt want to participte here unless i came across an idea and just thought it worth to put my energy on)

killer-instinct93
08-18-2007, 12:29 AM
It's easy. If you thought of your idea after seeing his, don't go forward with it if you think its too similar.

If you have thought of the idea and just now noticed the other idea, go with it. There is such a thing as parallel thinking. There are easily a dozen ideas I've seen that clearly borrow from existing ideas.

Nennad
08-18-2007, 06:26 PM
One more question that is not mention in faq or propositions:
It has ben said: "We want to train people to create artwork for print."

Does it mean tha the illustration must be in a cmyk color profile?

It can be important, because RGB can lost some vivid colours (especially blue) if converted to CMYK).

Mibus
08-20-2007, 02:23 AM
Does it mean tha the illustration must be in a cmyk color profile?
No.

There is no help or even FTP address here on CGTalk, so WHERE to submit my final entry ???
FTP details are usually released about a month before the end of the challenge. If you've finished your piece, go back and polish it! There's so much time left before the end still!

As for those of you with similar ideas, it's really up to you. It's expected there will be some sort of overlap of themes within the genre, so similarities are OK. Direct and obvious derivation will be looked down on. Just use your judgement and you should be fine!

killer-instinct93
08-30-2007, 07:28 AM
I just had a quick question with regards to judging/prizes. I've looked through some of the past competition pages, and I was wondering how the prize structure will be broken down in this one.

Becuase when i looked at the page for SB, it shows "Master" and "Excellence" categories, and then the separate categories for different elements. But for the other elements (editing, modelling, cinematography, etc.), the majority of them would apply to the Animation/Model and Short Film categories only, not the illustration.

So I'm wondering, will there be the same 1st prize, 2nd prize, 3rd..8th runner up structure from previous challenges IN ADDITION to the separate categories, or is it just the 1st and 2nd, and the separate categories?

I'm curious, because it could mean that one entry could win 10 separate prize categories, which seems a bit much :P

MarkSnoswell
08-30-2007, 11:57 AM
I just had a quick question with regards to judging/prizes. I've looked through some of the past competition pages, and I was wondering how the prize structure will be broken down in this one.
So I'm wondering, will there be the same 1st prize, 2nd prize, 3rd..8th runner up structure from previous challenges IN ADDITION to the separate categories, or is it just the 1st and 2nd, and the separate categories?

I'm curious, because it could mean that one entry could win 10 separate prize categories, which seems a bit much :P

Things are differnet this time. There are just the Master and Excellence prizes in the three entry categories plus the Special Category prizes.

.. and no, no single person will be able to win in too many categories -- it's a practical impossability.

killer-instinct93
08-31-2007, 03:56 AM
Ok, but almost all of the specialized categories eliminate the illustration applicants, even though there are 3 times as many illustration entries to date as short film or model render/animation. Isn't there a better way to balance it out? Am I the only one who thinks the previous set up was far superior?

LineDetail
09-01-2007, 04:11 PM
A little confused about flash animation entries... Need to be 3d?

Seems like the rules state a lot about 3d and rendering, but if you're using flash the only thing I could think of is that you'd be using some sort of 3d exporter or cel shader that exports to a .swf.

Am I wrong or are we allowed to do a 2D flash animation based on the screen play?

Thanks ahead,
-Line

Mibus
09-03-2007, 06:54 AM
About short films: You are free to create you film in any style you want – Cartoon, storyboard, 3D, live action with practical effects or full blown live action + 3D and special effects.

From http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/categories.php

Trickz
09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi guys, just wondering about the final movie upload resolution - out of interest, would 640x480 be the standard resolution for this comp? I'm thinking 320x240 might be too small and hurt your chances? And 50 meg limit on the file? wow :)

Mibus
09-11-2007, 03:15 AM
Video material must be submitted in 4:3 aspect with a maximum resolution of 640 x 480.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/deliverables.php

BTW, 50MB would be huge when you consider it's a short film (or animation), not a full movie :)

Fireantz
09-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Let said i inspiration by a concept art(2d sketch) from an artist.
Can i follow exacty the character design,pose,To convert them into 3D ?
or i should modify it or add abit different concept?

walrus
09-17-2007, 03:41 AM
Is there something wrong with the automatic thumbnail generation function for the threads? I've been noticing a higher-than-normal occurence of threads where a thumbnail is missing, and have noticed the thumb dropping off of my own Challenge thread several times recently. I don't think I'm doing anything differently than I have for the last half-dozen Challenges - just uploading a jpg saved at 150k, as usual. Anyhow, just thought I'd bring it up... Thanks!

diegopit
09-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Hello,

I want to invite my friend Nelson "nelsonteixeira (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?find=lastposter&t=508985)" to join my team but I have sended the request from the team managment area 2 times and he's not getting the invitation and we know he's checking on the right email nelson3d@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/nelson3d@gmail.com) , can someone tell us what we can do please.

Thank you

Diego Herrera.

varma
09-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Dear administrator/forum leader;
It looks like I made a terrible mistake when I entered the challenge! I was under the impression that the Model render/animation forum was for both 3d still image and animation, not aware that it meant both together, so I entered that forum, and I intended to submit a 3d still image only! It was the numerous comments from other entrants that made me read through the instructions again, this time throughly, and I understood that "only 3d" images should be posted under Illustration forum!
I am really sorry about this misunderstanding and was wondering if the forum leader/moderator could be so kind and move my thread over to the illustration forum!
The thread adress is:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=224&t=511489

I'm very sorry about this inconvenience!
Thanks

Mibus
09-19-2007, 02:37 AM
varma: You'll have to re-submit the milestones under a new entry in the right category. Post in your original thread explaining what happened. Because of the way the threads are tied into the Challenge system itself, we can't readily move threads like that.

diegopit: Has your friend been checking the spam folder as well? We find a lot of generic mass-emailed stuff gets lost there.

walrus: There are a few thumbnails missing... I'll keep my eye out for problems and try to have a look to see what's causing it. Most seem to be working though, from what I can tell.

Fireantz: You really shouldn't copy stuff closely if you can at all avoid it.

diegopit
09-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Hey Mibus,

Yeah he's checking but nothing, what else can we do?

Thank you

Diego

authentic
09-19-2007, 09:43 PM
It seams that the problem with thumbnails is still here. It's made twice I submit a picture and no thumbnails appears.

sepehr
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Hello,

I can't find Paul Gulinos screenplay “Art Gallery” which all animations in this category MUST be based on. anybody?

Sepehr

jocz
09-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Are we obliged to do a humourus image ? I'm looking to join the challenge (bit late ok ...) and my concept is a strange behavior but more realistic and dramatic.

Jassar
09-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Is there something wrong with the automatic thumbnail generation function for the threads? I've been noticing a higher-than-normal occurence of threads where a thumbnail is missing, and have noticed the thumb dropping off of my own Challenge thread several times recently. I don't think I'm doing anything differently than I have for the last half-dozen Challenges - just uploading a jpg saved at 150k, as usual. Anyhow, just thought I'd bring it up... Thanks!

Same problem happened to me :scream:

diegopit
09-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Hello,

Finally we have Nelson in our team :) but I have the same thumbnal problem :( I hope you can fix it soon.

Cheers

Diego

lossenct
09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi. I just invited a friend to join my group. He wasn't a CGTalk member before today, so he registered, and then I sent the invite. It went through on my end, but on his, it displayed the challenge as EON. It added his name to my list of members, but when he looks on his login, it shows that he isn't in a group. Does he need to enter seperately and then I send the invite? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

adib
09-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Hi,I submit my final entry on animation challenge by CGUploader,why isnt show up on entries?
Or how to put an animation to see in challenge player?
Thanks alot!

AlonChou
10-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi
If I want to change my entries name of the challenge, there are two names there, I want to change them both, make them just as the same as the two name of my currently CGSociety account (my Username and another) , is that possible?
thank you very much,
here is my entris name:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=13759

lossenct
10-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Now every new member gets the same EON screen every time they log on. :sad: Is this some kind of glitch? They're still being added to my list of members on Strange Behavior, but they can't see that.

Is there something we're missing?

Mibus
10-08-2007, 03:06 AM
I can't find Paul Gulinos screenplay "Art Gallery"
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/screenplay.php

Are we obliged to do a humourus image ? I'm looking to join the challenge (bit late ok ...) and my concept is a strange behavior but more realistic and dramatic.
No.

Hi,I submit my final entry on animation challenge by CGUploader,why isnt show up on entries?
There is a CGChallenge-specific CGUploader. You can find the link on the regular "Submit Entry" page.

It went through on my end, but on his, it displayed the challenge as EON. It added his name to my list of members, but when he looks on his login, it shows that he isn't in a group. Does he need to enter seperately and then I send the invite?
The EON thing is probably just a typo. If you could forward me the email it's written in, or link me to the page it's on, that would be appreciated.

Anyway, the only place group membership is publicly shown is on the Team Leader's Challenge Page, which I think is what you're referring to.

If I want to change my entries name of the challenge, there are two names there, I want to change them both, make them just as the same as the two name of my currently CGSociety account (my Username and another) , is that possible?
Sure - done!

Thanks everybody for being patient - we've been short-staffed for the past few weeks for a number of reasons, including me taking paternity leave to spend some quality time with the latest addition (http://mibus.cgcommunity.com/files/Photo0173.jpg) to my family.

Chicano3000X3
10-09-2007, 03:29 PM
question, what exactly is this? I never entered a challenge before. "Strange behavior". What exactly are u looking for?

AlonChou
10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi

Thank you for your help, I have seen the name be changed on my challenge page
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/view_entries.php?challenger=13759,

I appreciate that very much, but I hope to request that,
all the name related to the challenge is as the same as the two name of my currently
CGSociety account (my Username and another), including the name of the tittle
of my entries front page, and the View Entries page, it still be "Chou Jing-Long"
and not be changed yet,

you can see here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=225&t=523874

Thank you very much!http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

Alon

Nennad
10-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Can my entry in Animation category be longer than 2 mins? I reckon that it will be about 2mins and 30 secs with title screen and credits...? Or i must shorten it ?

Thanks,
Nenad

Mibus
10-16-2007, 07:14 AM
question, what exactly is this? I never entered a challenge before. "Strange behavior". What exactly are u looking for?
Go check out http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/inspiration.php :)

Can my entry in Animation category be longer than 2 mins?

The rules say 2 minutes, so I'd go with that. If your credits roll slightly over, I'm sure people won't notice, but don't push your luck!

Alan: Sure, done. Let me know if anything else is missed. (The copyright notices on the old images will have to stay, though).

AlonChou
10-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi
Thank you for the second time to change my entry name, I appreciate that,
but my name is "Alon", not Alan,
thanks for your time so much,

Alon

Mibus
10-17-2007, 07:01 AM
but my name is "Alon", not Alan,

Ah whoops - sorry! How about now?

AlonChou
10-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Thank you! now it's correct.

buzuba
10-17-2007, 08:16 PM
My black & white Painting is at 1:1 ratio. (3636/2657 ratio is approximately 1.36)

Is it ok to use a 1:1 ratio ?????

melkao
10-18-2007, 05:24 AM
a question

can i get some help from my friends(1 or 2 of them) in some details...like sound or desing, and they are not in the challenge, i still can to participate as a single challenger?...and it wiil be a problem if i say their names on the credits of the animation?:deal:

karko
10-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi.

I finished my picture and I would send it with FTP…
But, is it necessary to put in ZIP a text accompanying the image in high resolution?
And,if it is neccesary, what sort of text?

I am very sorry, my English is very nil, and I did not understand everything!

Marc.

alvin-cgi
10-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi guys,

I have a question about quality of the finished animation... I did some test on RivaEncoder, but the quality seem bad, have tried the preset like "offline.xml" etc, but still don't see much of the improvement... any of you know how to improve the video quality??

A

Mibus
10-19-2007, 02:33 AM
Is it ok to use a 1:1 ratio ?????
Yes.

But, is it necessary to put in ZIP a text accompanying the image in high resolution?
No.

can i get some help from my friends(1 or 2 of them) in some details...like sound or desing, and they are not in the challenge, i still can to participate as a single challenger?
All submitted work must be substantively your own. You can incorporate other elements that you did not do yourself. You must credit any other work you include.

salmonmoose
10-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Hi guys,

I have a question about quality of the finished animation... I did some test on RivaEncoder, but the quality seem bad, have tried the preset like "offline.xml" etc, but still don't see much of the improvement... any of you know how to improve the video quality??

A

Try raising the bitrate - the higher the bitrate the better the quality, however higher bitrates will take longer to download/upload. If that doesn't help, it may be worth cutting the image resolution in half and retaining the same bitrate.

karko
10-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Thank you, Mibus, for your answer.

But, if :A: We want to train people to create artwork for print. Therefore, things such as detailed textures and meshes become important in the creation of your artwork. The final image needs to be prepared for print, and we want everyone to work towards producing work that is print quality by habit.

Why not ask to contestants, the final picture in CMJN ?

Marc.

johnstrieder
10-20-2007, 12:43 AM
(Please excuse my english ... ;-) )

Hi, I've recently uploaded my final Image. I only ask if i done all correct:

I've used the displayed Name for the ZIP. The TIFF-Image in it have another name, not the same as the ZIP - is that okay?

The TIFF-Image have a size of 27 MB uncompressed. It took very long to upload ;-)
Isn't LZW-Compression (lossless Compression!) allowed (=4MB) ?
It's uncompressed so huge, that i think i've done wrong oder doesn't understand.

Versiden
10-20-2007, 10:31 AM
hi there

just a few questions
1. I'm participating in the animation challenge, what are the rules if I get someone else to do the sound for me? I'm thinking the animation itself is being judged on so that work is still mine, and the sound is just bonus right? Is it ok?
2. for the final image that we upload along with the animation, is it also suppose to be print res like the illustration category? or is it just a still frame from the animation?
3. The making off that we need to include, how extensive does it have to be? can a turntable or character sketches suffice?

sorry if this has been asked before
thx ;p

markdc
10-20-2007, 11:35 AM
The deliverables page states: "Information about the final file submission will be emailed to all contestants in the last month of the Challenge."

I haven't received this email. The challenge uploader doesn't list the final short film as a choice. How will we upload the final film?

-Mark

authentic
10-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi guys,

A

Well Personnaly I rise the bitrate up to 1600 or more. But I don't think you'll have an excellent quality on this support. I'm also a little disapointed to have to make the animation in flv and moreover in 640*480. I hope for next challenge that we will be allowed to use better format.

authentic
10-21-2007, 09:32 PM
I got 3 little questions to be sure.

The 1st is the same than question 2 of versiden about the size of the picture needed for animation contest.

The 2nd is just to be sure, for animation, the final animation is judged on the flv we submit n the netries. There is no place to give you a zip of a better quality as you can do for big picture in illustration category ?

The 3rd is about my entry. I have a little production credits and cast at the end to make it more cinematographic. Can I finish it with my website adress or is it forbidden or just not aprreciated.

Mibus
10-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Why not ask to contestants, the final picture in CMJN ?

Converting to CMYK is (in our opinion) best done by people intimately familiar with the printing process and the specific colour profile used by the press to be used.

I've used the displayed Name for the ZIP. The TIFF-Image in it have another name, not the same as the ZIP - is that okay?
Yes.

The TIFF-Image have a size of 27 MB uncompressed. It took very long to upload ;-)
Isn't LZW-Compression (lossless Compression!) allowed (=4MB) ?
You can try, it's just not "officially supported". JPEG compression is expressly undesired!

Versiden:
1: Read this (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/rules.php) regarding use of third-party assets.
2: Still frame, not print-res.
3: Read the appropriate part of this (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/strange_behavior/categories.php). (It's not mandatory.)

I haven't received this email. The challenge uploader doesn't list the final short film as a choice. How will we upload the final film?
It's just the "Finished Trailer" category (probably not the best name for it...). The "special" final upload is for TIFF Illustration entries.

Well Personnaly I rise the bitrate up to 1600 or more. But I don't think you'll have an excellent quality on this support. I'm also a little disapointed to have to make the animation in flv and moreover in 640*480. I hope for next challenge that we will be allowed to use better format.

We spent a lot of time looking at the best way to deliver video - including encoding. storage, and playback - and came to the conclusion that FLV was the best option. FLV is most certainly capable of good-quality video, as the winners to EON (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4132) proved.

That said, I have a PSP and I hate transcoding files ;) - the next likely move for us is to H264/AAC, which requires (amongst other things) a new official Flash Player release with support for H264 & AAC.

Mibus
10-22-2007, 03:21 AM
The 2nd is just to be sure, for animation, the final animation is judged on the flv we submit n the netries. There is no place to give you a zip of a better quality as you can do for big picture in illustration category ?

Nope, sorry. FLV is the final target - feel free to render higher and put it online somewhere for fans of your piece. You can mention it in the notes for your final upload.

The 3rd is about my entry. I have a little production credits and cast at the end to make it more cinematographic. Can I finish it with my website adress or is it forbidden or just not aprreciated.

Yup, that's fine :)

markdc
10-22-2007, 05:21 AM
Mibus,

Can you please address my issue:

The deliverables page states: "Information about the final file submission will be emailed to all contestants in the last month of the Challenge."

Thanks,

Mark

Mibus
10-22-2007, 05:30 AM

It's just the "Finished Trailer" category (probably not the best name for it...). The "special" final upload is for TIFF Illustration entries.

The email only reveals new information for Illustration category entrants. Everybody else can get away with using the CGUploader.

markdc
10-22-2007, 05:49 AM
The email only reveals new information for Illustration category entrants. Everybody else can get away with using the CGUploader.

Ok, so there is no trailer just the finished film? How can I delete the trailer that I uploaded as the finished film so I can upload the real film. You guys really should change the wording of that.

Can you delete it for me?

Mibus
10-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Ok, so there is no trailer just the finished film? How can I delete the trailer that I uploaded as the finished film so I can upload the real film. You guys really should change the wording of that.

Can you delete it for me?
There's no need to delete it, just upload a new one. We keep all of the files anyway :)

SteevieWoo
10-22-2007, 06:18 AM
Hey just wondering an issue, I made a seach on the thread and found no information about it, sorry if this has been discused already...

do you have any bottle neck problems with FTP uploadings in the last few days? if so, up to when could be a secure time to uploadit with no pains? My last days schedule depends on this.

Thanks a lot!!

Mibus
10-22-2007, 06:24 AM
do you have any bottle neck problems with FTP uploadings in the last few days?

It can get a bit slower in the last 2-3 days. Just get it up as soon as you can - there's nothing stopping you from uploading a newer TIFF closer to the end-date.

Jana69
10-22-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi Mibus! I'd like to post 10 - 20 images in one post how to make it? (LIKE IN GOOGLE)

2. MP3 sounds where to go to make them audible to all participants?

3. videos - FLV? doesnt mean to be free anymore... i did downloaded some riva producer pack...
could u please simply explain what to do with avi file that i got in the end of my production in 3 - 4 easy steps for women? ;) what *.jar is anyway? do i HAVE TO
?
Peace! Jana

Mibus
10-23-2007, 01:12 AM
Hi Mibus! I'd like to post 10 - 20 images in one post how to make it? (LIKE IN GOOGLE)
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean.

2. MP3 sounds where to go to make them audible to all participants?
You should be able to have a still image for your video in an FLV, and add the sound(s) as an audio track.

3. videos - FLV? doesnt mean to be free anymore... i did downloaded some riva producer pack...
could u please simply explain what to do with avi file that i got in the end of my production in 3 - 4 easy steps for women? ;) what *.jar is anyway? do i HAVE TO
?
Yes, you have to :)

The instructions for using the CGChallenge Uploader are similar to using the CGPortfolio Uploader (http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/Help:CGUploader), except that you use the CGChallenge-specific executable (available on the Submit Entries page).

Jana69
10-23-2007, 01:29 AM
I'd like to put 10 images one after another with comments in one post, not submitting 10 posts.
when i put attachements in google i can put another image and another... u know... Id like to post image 1 make comment, next put image 2 with comment and so on, as u can see my try in my last post in strange behaviour

id like to put my rough voice track in mp3 as i can put jpg file in post. or should i put it somewhere else eg you tube or smth? and put link in my post?

goin thru that java thing... well should it be in xp pro install itself:) anyway

and that google toolbar installed with java! I dreamed about that!

the jar has opened its gates for me and i think i can get thru this stuff alone, if not, expect letter from me...;)

regards Jana69

Thank u for answer!

Mibus
10-23-2007, 02:40 AM
I'd like to put 10 images one after another with comments in one post, not submitting 10 posts.
You can do it using the "IMG" bbcode tags, or using attachments, but the images you post like that won't count towards your WIP requirements.

id like to put my rough voice track in mp3 as i can put jpg file in post. or should i put it somewhere else eg you tube or smth? and put link in my post?
You can do it however you want, but it only counts as an official WIP milestone entry if you do it as an audio track on an FLV.

Good luck!

markdc
10-23-2007, 06:29 PM
There's no need to delete it, just upload a new one. We keep all of the files anyway :)

Ok. So you guys will just look at the last version that I upload?

Mibus
10-24-2007, 02:34 AM
Ok. So you guys will just look at the last version that I upload?

Yup :thumbsup:

Slav
10-24-2007, 06:30 AM
is a image uploading down atm? i been trying to upload an update for 20 mins now and it just keeps timing out.