PDA

View Full Version : Particle Problem

Jaredw1982
06-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Im having a little trouble trying to get the results i want to achieve using particle flow. Basically I am trying to get a line of particles spin around a circle. There are two groups of particles both place 180' away from each other so they spin parallel to each other. What happens is they both begin to spin faster and faster until they both shoot off in another direction. The problem I have is with the length of the trail. To start both trails are fine and as both sets of particles spin we have a full 360' of spinning particles. Once I start to increase the speed of the emitter which has a path constrant to the circle, the trailing particles increase in length. What I am trying to achieve is the opposite. As the particles get faster I want the 2 sets of particle trails to get smaller and therefore showing two different sets of particles spinning around the circle.

Ive been playing around with this all day and so far havent managed to crack it. One way around this would be to animate the delete operators life span box but unfortunately I can seem to animate or set keys for this. If anyone can help me out with this problem I woul dbe most grateful.

Wicked
06-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I think you should play with either Age Test or something in your Spawn Test(?), but that's hard to say without a screenshot of your flow (or even better: Any chance you could put your .max file online or pm/mail me whatsoever?)

Jaredw1982
06-20-2007, 03:28 AM
That would be great mate, ive had another play around with it but still no luck. I have attached a simple max scene, if you get time please have a look.

Jared

Wicked
06-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Done.

Pretty much left your flows intact. Think this was what you was looking after :)

Jaredw1982
06-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Wicked thats brilliant, thank you it is a much better way than i had done it. The only thing im still trying to solve though is the length of the trailing particles. The idea is that the particles gradually speed up, which i can do in the curve editor but want im looking for is for the trailing particles to get shorter in lengh the faster the speed of the particles. How do you tihnk I could go about doing that?

Wicked
06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
You should take a look at the "Step Size" in your Spawn-operator. The bigger the stepsize, the more space you get between the spawned particles. :)

Jaredw1982
06-20-2007, 10:08 AM
Cheers mate, Ive adjusted the step size and that seems to do is increase or decrease the amout of particles within the length. I understand that if we didnt have a delete modifier then increaseing and decreasing this option would inturn increase decrease the length. With the delete event everything dies at after 60 frames. What would really work would be if we were some how able to animate the particle age life span. It just doesnt want to animate do you think there is a way around this? cheers again

Wicked
06-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Sure. Instead of using a delete-operator you could use a scale-operator. Play with the xyz-percentages and animate them (to 0,0,0). Don't forget about the Scale Variaton variables. That makes it even cooler to look at.

Also you could give a look at these sites:
- www.allanmckay.com (http://www.allanmckay.com)
- http://xenomorphic.co.uk/education.htm
- http://www.cgarena.com/freestuff/tutorials/tutorials.html
- and offcourse the PFlow thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=206) ;)

Jaredw1982
06-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Wicked, you are the man, i really appriciate all your help, thanks again :)

Wicked
06-20-2007, 10:59 AM
No problem. :)
Don't forget to experiment with the various settings. The PFlow thread mentioned above also contains a lot of various links and sourcefiles. Examine them and learn of them! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2007, 10:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.