PDA

View Full Version : Light Domes and OPEN GL lighting

bearfoot
06-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Hi everyone

i wondered if someone knows a quick tip maybe..

i often work with light domes made in Modeller and then converted to lights form Luxigons to give some nice soft ambient bounce light..

However often in these domes is 100 + lights all set to around 1% intensity..
so in the layout OPEN GL view the scene is actually black..

is there a way to add a light to light OPENGL only ? if i click off effect diffuse then agin the layout scene will be black !

thanks

Steve Warner
06-19-2007, 03:03 PM
The function of the Affect OpenGL option in the Light properties panel changed between version 8.5 and 9.0 (or 9.2 - I can't remember which). In LW8.5, you could turn off Diffuse and Specular and you'd be left with a light that didn't affect your objects, but that lit your OpenGL. In 9.2, the Affect OpenGL option only turns on and off OpenGL visibility. If you turn off Diffuse and Specular, then you won't see anything in OpenGL from that light. I personally prefer the 8.5 methodology, but I'm learning to adjust.

Keep in mind that LightWave can only display a limited number of lights in OpenGL. I believe the maximum is 8. Once you reach that, you won't see any more lights. So one thing you can do if you're using a light dome is to turn off the OpenGL flag for all the luxigon lights in your light dome. Then add one or two lights that are only there for setup purposes. When you're ready to render, turn off the Diffuse and Specular for these lights.

Another option is to increase the Global Light Intensity in the Render Globals window. It defaults to 100%. Bump it up to 1000% (or whatever it takes to see the objects in your scene). Then drop it back to 100% when it's time to render.

If you're expression savvy, you can also create a null and tie it to a master light intensity so that you can control the light with a virtual "dimmer" object in your OpenGL display.

Hope that helps.

alifx
06-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi

you can also use LScriptCommander to make a button for turing off/On the lights you need and don't.

it's simple and fast.

cheers

sergiox
06-20-2007, 01:39 AM
"Virtual Dimmer?" Mmmm. Thanks Steve. I owe you (again)

bearfoot
06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
great thanks for the replies everyone..

it does seem a shame that for lighting purposes that i cannot have an OPENGL light only..

especially using fprime.. where all lighting is interactive...

anyway thanks for all your help

cheers
Neil

Zardoz
06-20-2007, 09:21 AM
if you want to turn off a light but keep it in opengl go to the scene editor and untick the check mark for that light. wierd but works.

bearfoot
06-20-2007, 09:25 AM
excellent thanks so much

so simple !

Cageman
06-20-2007, 09:45 AM
if you want to turn off a light but keep it in opengl go to the scene editor and untick the check mark for that light. wierd but works.

Not wierd... the tick is just a flag for the renderer. If you load an object and untick it you will still see it in OGL but it will be completely excluded when rendering. :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2007, 09:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.