PDA

View Full Version : AM -> Lightwave

Wegg
03-19-2003, 10:40 PM
http://www.3d-geeks.com/Wegg/Dino.jpg

Modeled in AM (Joe), tweaked in Wings (Me), Textured in LW(Brian), Animated in Messiah(Me), rendered in LW(Brian). . .

AM still had a pretty valid place in a small studio's pipeline. . . if yer patient. :-)

You can download the whole movie here (http://www.3d-geeks.com/Wegg/Dino.mpg)

koon69
03-19-2003, 10:55 PM
So the modeling was done in Wings not LW? Is Wings that good that you opted for it instead of LW?

Wegg
03-19-2003, 10:57 PM
Yup.

I hate not being able to select an edge.

Finkster
03-20-2003, 12:21 AM
Thats pretty funny! Who's the dude getting pulled?
I agree about the LW modeller. I've heard some say it is among the best out there, but having no edge tools - I haven't really been able to get into it.

Ciaran Moloney

sketchyjay
03-20-2003, 01:02 AM
no edge tools is a drag. But after focusing on LW for a month I've been able to get around it.

Finkster: It is a damn fine modeler. I can build some models pretty damn quick and with really good quality to them. Edge tools would make it even faster. I can build a complete model in about half the time of A:M. Mainly because of the knife and bandsaw tools that add detail quickly (hint hint Hash :p )

Crossing my fingers for edge tools in LW 8.

koon: yeah wings is great. It's free. It has new tools added all the time and it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. Did I mention it's free.... ;)

Wegg: How does animating in Messiah compare to Animation Master?

Wegg
03-20-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by sketchyjay

Wegg: How does animating in Messiah compare to Animation Master? [/B]

I think apples are better because. . . you don't have to peal them like oranges. . . but . . . oranges are quite nice when they are right off the tree. . .

koon69
03-20-2003, 01:26 AM
Wegg- translation? Which is the apple?

sketchyjay
03-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Wegg
I think apples are better because. . . you don't have to peal them like oranges. . . but . . . oranges are quite nice when they are right off the tree. . .

cool! thanks,

:surprised

jay

zandoria
03-20-2003, 05:08 AM
It looks really good--the dinosaur has better motion blur than the guy holding the leash!:thumbsup:

dragonfollower
03-23-2003, 03:07 AM
Nothing like taking your dinosaur for a walk.

I like it. You've inspired me man. That's it, I'm gonna go animate somethin!

-Brian

PJC
03-23-2003, 03:15 AM
Cool.

It's nice to see that it's about the same as C4D, but since Cinema has edge tools I don't have to go to wings (although Wings is cool) or Nendo.

- pjc

Wegg
03-23-2003, 04:05 AM
You should give Messiah a try PJ. It really would bring a lot of power to the C4D renderer. . .

Western3D
05-09-2003, 09:53 AM
You should give Messiah a try PJ. It really would bring a lot of power to the C4D renderer. . .

I was thinking the same thing, but was told that the Messiah to C4D communicator had only basic functionality for C4D7, and none for C4D8. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I've tried asking pmG, but haven't gotten a response back yet.

bugzilla
05-09-2003, 02:56 PM
Hello again, Wegg. I've been bouncing back and forth between using AM or the Lightwave/Messiah combo for character animation. Certainly the Lightwave renderer blows AM's away and the hypervoxels and particle systems are awesome, but I can't stand animating in LW. When I rig and animate more than two or three characters in Messiah and import them into LW I get SEVERE slowdowns and crashes.

Right now the ball is back in AM's court. I've started figuring out (with the help of the AMWeights program) how to get smoother bone deformations in AM without Smartskin, fan bones or cogs. Now, if I can get the creases in my models worked out I'll stay in AM for good.

Wegg
05-09-2003, 04:55 PM
LW was never really fast in the realtime department in comparison to Messiah. If you need to scrub around and make changes to your animation you really need to stick to Messiah untill the very last stage. We can have six or so characters on the screen at once in Messiah without a hitch. . . I wouldn't even dream of trying to see those same characters in LW for the very reasons you mentioned.

I think the trick with getting rid of creases in AM is really playing with the newer smoothing features. As long as your needs aren't too high on the surface quality of your final renders. . . AM really is a great product.

Wycoff3d
05-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Wegg what do you mean by this-

=As long as your needs aren't too high on the surface quality of your final renders=

Wegg
05-09-2003, 07:08 PM
Well a lot of things really.

For instance. . . if you are using procedural textures with a lot of bump and spec. . . you will get the "ant crawl" shimmers that you just wouldn't ever see in LW.

Antialias levels in AM max out at what equates to two passes in a Multipass renderer like LWs. LW's "LOW" setting is 4 and it just goes up from there.

If your doing a cartoon. . . who cares about all that crap. Your probably only using toon render or very simple gradients anyway. Texture noise isn't an issue so you don't really have to care about your surface quality.

That help?

Wycoff3d
05-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Sure did. Anyway around this? I have been reading some other posts and people are talking alot about the new multipass feature. Maybe this can go above this 2 setting. What would happen if you create a texture map and use that? You can increase the detail of the map to maybe use against the ant crawls?

Wegg
05-09-2003, 11:31 PM
If we had found a way. . . we would probably still be using AM. But without a MASSIVE hit on your render times. . . "I'm talking ten fold". . . there is no way around the shimmers.

Wycoff3d
05-10-2003, 04:55 AM
Thats not very encouraging to read. Are there any examples that I could see? Some web site?

Thanks Wegg youve been a great help!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.