PDA

View Full Version : Using a model in C/C++ code. Importing and animation.

gslavik
06-18-2007, 05:35 AM
When I took the Computer Graphics class in college, I had to use OpenGL to draw my initials (which were somewhat complex the way I wanted them to appear). To mitigate this fact, I write a C++ function to read in a Wavefront OBJ file and then render it (it works flawlessly, but only has support for triangulated things, not material/lighting support).

The next step for me would be to learn how to import a file that has support for bones. What format would you recommend (I am looking for something that can be exported by anything that can manage bones/animations).

Also, does anyone happen to have any links to any tutorials/animations on how to do animation with models that have a skeleton?

HenrySpencer
06-18-2007, 06:45 AM
the best choice may be COLLADA since it is supported by several packages (MAX, MAYA,...). Though COLLADA is not the most memory efficient, since it is completely XML based.

See COLLADA@KHRONOSGROUP (http://www.khronos.org/collada/) for more information.

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2007, 06:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.