PDA

View Full Version : ik chain jitter

Irie
03-19-2003, 07:18 PM
just curious... what causes IK chain jitter? is it incorrect info being passed to the engine?

also, why is it a problem especially in human sized proportions?

i am experiencing it a little in subtle arm movements... normally i would use fk on the arm, but i am playing around with the acs biped with full ik right now.

thanks!

Mangled Poly
03-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Ik always seems to jitter thats just the fact of it there are some ways to make it jitter less... such as a really good coorectly prebent model, and not using the joint limits.... As far as that IK tends to jitter and thats why people say it has some set backs :)

alaklij
03-19-2003, 07:24 PM
I've experienced IK jitter when parenting the goal object to the IK chain itself. If the goal object is parented to a second null, and the second null is parented to the mesh or bone system, then I won't have the jitters. Ultimately, trying to keep the IK chain as short as possible.

I hope this can help you.

Irie
03-19-2003, 07:51 PM
yes, thanks for the input. At least i know im not necessarily at fault for this one (i know, i know... a carpenter doesnt blame their tools, blah). :)

matt

SplineGod
03-20-2003, 12:10 AM
I have found that jitter somtimes occurs when:
1. Mulitple goals are used in the same chain or there is not a well defined beginning and end to the IK chain.
2. The object containing the bones is very large of very small
3. The object containing the bones is far away from the origin
4. Keep goal within reach is activated
5. The IK goals are moving in straight lines rather then arcs. This can stress the IK solver when the goal forces the bones into very tight poses.
6. Rotation constraints are used but not properly "tuned"
7. Goals are parented to bones.
8. Expressions or motion modifers are mixed with IK
9. Other weird things are setup :)

Joril
03-20-2003, 12:15 AM
I had some jittering with my last rig, I tweaked the constraints and it went away.

SplineGod
03-20-2003, 12:20 AM
If I see jittering or popping I pose that limb with the goal to the point right where it starts to do its weirdness then I go to the contstraints and start tuning the value til it stops.
Ive also found for me at least that I get better results if I dont use 0 in the constraints. For example if the elbow is set with a rotational constraint of 180 and 0 as a max and min Ill really set it to 180 and 3. Its a lot like prepbending bones in that it seems to make things more stable.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.