PDA

View Full Version : The Crystal Tree - Fantasy [Hyper/photorealistic]

MrHobby
06-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Hi everyone.
I am looking for concept artists of all experience levels for The Crystal Tree scene.
The Crystal Tree is an idea i've had for awhile but never had time to pursue the project.
Now that i have a little break in work i started up the project and realized a few things.
My drawing really sucks. And i'm not good at coming up with concepts.
So i came here to look for some inspiration and after reading a lot of threads i decided to try and make this a collaborative piece.

I think with all the talent here that this will come out way better through ideas and visions of other artist together.
Due to not ever trying to visualize the concept i only have the overall idea of what i'm thinking about.
That's a very wide spectrum to play with. That's where you will come in first.
The idea:

The over all idea for The Crystal Tree is a large tree made of crystal with leaves made rock or crystal or any material that hold other objects of some sort.
For example if the object was a habitation there would be forests, houses, gardens, structures, etc. on each leaf making up and entire town or likewise.
Or the leaves could hold something like different landscapes themselves or portals to different places or time.
Or perhaps different natural occurrences like hurricanes, storms, volcanoes, tornados, tsunamis, etc.

The crystal tree will be in a valley slightly lowered in the center of a massive landscape.
The other idea behind the tree is that it emanates an essence that crystallizes all objects near it within a certain vicinity.
So the valley that it's nestled in would be all crystallized up until about 70% of the valley headed outward then the essence would slowly disperse into natural landscape and vegetation. slightly creeping out of the valley at the very end.
So if you were to walk across the mountain terrain coming up on the valley, looking slightly down into the valley, looking slightly down into the valley, you would see a big tree surrounded by heavily crystallized vegetation and other objects near the base of the tree but as the essence stretched outward across the valley toward you the crystallized essence would crystallize less and less objects, trees, and rocks.
And the very tip of each "creeping" crystallizing essences strain, that made it that far, would barely reach up out of the valley just enough to crystallize a single or couple of objects, maybe even the tree your leaning on looking into the valley with.

Like i said i'm bad at painting pictures but i hope you get the idea that i'm trying to get across.
Here's the bountries to work with:

1.) OVERALL CONCEPT: My only overall idea is the tree being very large and containig something on each leaf or narled branch not or any fantasy tree.
The tree could be any kind in any shape, the only certain is it will be made of crystal
and will hang out further than its base creating a basic tree stance.
So whatever type of tree fits the artists concept (fantasy or real) will be used for the trees design. Maybe the tree is a 6-8 pod like branches should be or something else completely imaginative.
The tree would carry an unseen essance that has crystallized everything within a certain radius around it. And the essance would creep out speratly from the base of the tree.
The tree and it's crystallized vegatation around it just that, solid crystal. So no animation is involved for anything that has been crystallized.
The tree will be in the center of a valley just slightly lower than the mountain/forest terrain around it except for one side with a high mountain range that you can only see over if you are at the very top of the tree.

2.) CONCEPTS: What i need concepts for are the tree itself, however you design the tree to what you see and imagine is up to you and it wll base the rest of the landscape includeing the particular vegitation and rock formations around it. The overall ideas is to have a cystal tree of somesort in a somewhat circular valley nestled in a forest/mountain range landscape.
The tree can be modeled in maya or zbrush by me or if the tree is really complex then i will try to get good modelers to do it. lol
The tree doesn't have to be an existing tree in the world, it could be anything within the base overall idea stucture. The tree could have 4,5,6 or 1,000 leaves/narled branches but each one must contain something retaining the overall makeup of the trees concept.

The entire scene will be photo/hyper-realistic and fully animated.
The final scene will be a very long fly through/over/around of the entire landscape.
With really cool inspiring music for mood of such a grand spectacle.
Depending on the agreed concept i will most likely need modelers and compositors and so on for all of the objects and structures that maybe present.
Especially if the final decided concept is a collaboration of several concepts together
i would want enough video to show all of the detail and work that everybody put into it.

I'm aiming for a very large collaborative scene that alot of artists will get into.
The idea is wide open for interpretation and creativity.
I really want to push the limit on this one for everybody that has said to themselves "if it wasn't for render time i could have done that way better" or "gotta keep it low poly or i could have...." ya know what i mean?
Just go all out with your talent, think like there's no limit to hit cause there isn't one!

Here are a few test renders and other environment tests.
These are just some quick tests on a prop tree, i will add alot more full lanscape ideas for you to get a better picture with soon.

http://www.theultimatehobby.com/files/crystals2.jpg

http://www.theultimatehobby.com/files/crystals4.jpg

http://www.theultimatehobby.com/files/crystals5.jpg

Thank you.

stalkeron
06-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi,

I like the idea but I think you have much more to work on the structure of the tree...

Are you using Maya(with PaintFx) and Vue xStream on those renders?

ps: a huge crystal landscape will have huge render times and demand a lot of memory:)

MrHobby
06-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi stalkeron .
Yes it's the basic tree from maya painteffects. And i'm useing vue 6 xstream.
It was a quick and low poly referance for a test tree.
This tree isn't the tree i plan on useing. It's just for a visual grasp.
Plus i needed to test the crystal shader and see how it would look and judge render times.
That tree is the main part of the concepts i hope to get from others.

Yes, lol it will have ridiculous render times, however i have a fully loaded boxx apexx 8 at home so that will be doing the full renders.
And yes, espeacialy the closeup flythroughs that i want to do on the crystal objects will take a horribly long time to render but that's o.k.
I'm going for quality over deadline issues. I wanted to make it fun, something that we could really just pour everything into without cutting corners or "tightening up" the scenes.

I like the avatar of yours btw, are you a vue fan as well?
Would you like to lend your expertise? It would be most welcomed.

MrHobby
06-17-2007, 09:31 PM
O.k. i saw your portfolio and loved it.
"In remembrance to every passing" is my favorite. Very well done.
I like the style of the landscapes, so now i'm asking you personaly if you'd like to be the first onboard? Your knowledge of vue will help a great deal.

Also i'm going to rewrite the first post to make it make a little more semnce maybe. lol

stalkeron
06-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Here is an issue:

I guess you made a tree in paintFx, exported the mesh to Vue and then applied Ecosystems on it inside Vue. Then you made the tree invisible inside vue(by giving it a invisible material or some such), opened the vue scene in Maya, got the original PaintFx tree mesh to match that in vue, got the crystal shader on it and rendered to get those trees to reflect/refract... is this how you did it?

Anyhow, if a tree is made inside any other software other than vue then you don't have any tree animation for the shot. And this goes for all the other vegetation involved in the animation. So I guess you'll have to re-plan this:)

Please post some images with a tree structure that is more close to what you have in mind.

ps: you have a box apexx 8 at home?? nice:)

MrHobby
06-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Here is an issue:

I guess you made a tree in paintFx, exported the mesh to Vue and then applied Ecosystems on it inside Vue. Then you made the tree invisible inside vue(by giving it a invisible material or some such), opened the vue scene in Maya, got the original PaintFx tree mesh to match that in vue, got the crystal shader on it and rendered to get those trees to reflect/refract... is this how you did it?

Anyhow, if a tree is made inside any other software other than vue then you don't have any tree animation for the shot. And this goes for all the other vegetation involved in the animation. So I guess you'll have to re-plan this:)

Please post some images with a tree structure that is more close to what you have in mind.

ps: you have a box apexx 8 at home?? nice:)

Thank you for replying.

1.) Tree's Creation: Actually it was the basic tree panit effect from maya and i conveted it to polygons then combined the mesh, but in doing so it also keeps the group information (the leaves seperate from the trunk) and then exported to .obj file then impoted in vue then just apllied the crstal shader and the result on "ultra" was the image you see.

2.) Yes i have a boxx apexx 8 at home. But it's not like that. lol
The 3d design studio i own is a home studio so technically it's the studios workstation. lol
It's fully loaded and it took almost a year to pay off, barely.
So render times will take a very long time but not that long. :thumbsup:

MrHobby
06-25-2007, 01:59 AM
*UPDATED* The First post was redone and the other posts were trimmed.

MrHobby
06-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Here are some very early, rough idea concepts for some crystallized vegitation and a test terrain for placement and scale. The city is just for fun and will not be used. Unless the final concept needs a city for some reason.
The terrain, TREE, and layout are only testing objects and are not to be concidered a part of the actual scene.

http://www.theultimatehobby.com/files/crystal_city.jpg
http://www.theultimatehobby.com/files/crystal_flower.jpg

http://www.theultimatehobby.com/files/crystal_flower4.jpg

http://www.theultimatehobby.com/files/crystal_tree_med4.jpg

MrHobby
07-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi,
currently focusing on the new CG Challenge.
This project will be updated soon.

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2007, 12:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.