PDA

View Full Version : Intersecting Geometry in Maya !

Sychoactive
06-16-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey guy's, would appreciate if someone could give me so advice here. I've just finished a 12 month Maya course which unfortunatly could have been a bit better. With Polygon modelling etc, I was lead to believe that u should never have any 2 pieces of geometry cross sectioning or going through one another as it will cause render errors. For that reason I find myself spending alot of time connecting pieces of things together that end up taking me forever. A couple of friends from my class (which to me produced really nice work) keep telling me not to bother putting so much time and effort into connecting my geometry and to just combine the pieces and let them cross section through each other. There reasoning being As long as there movement is in relation to one another and no movement between the two, there shouldn't be any problem. Both have been doing so and haven't found any problems showing up in there final renders. Could anyone please shed some light on this matter for me ?

itsallgoode9
06-20-2007, 01:07 PM
i'd say it's completely fine to do that...it's the way i've been doing things since i've started. Only issues i run into with interestecting geo is at work when i'm baking lightmaps out for game environments...with the light maps being so low res, it sometimes leads to light bleed or shadow bleed where the geo is interesting. for most purposes though, interesecting geo is completely fine.

phix314
07-06-2007, 02:16 PM
I would agree as well, but do so as little as possible. Like Tris and NGons, the need will arise eventually to have it, but try not to. The only time I've used intersecting geometry is when I needed extruded areas where doing so directly would cause a lot more problems that it solved.

Sychoactive
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks so much for the advice guy's. This helps me out heaps !

CGTalk Moderation
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.