PDA

View Full Version : Outpost- VFx Challenge- icedeyes

icedeyes
03-19-2003, 02:54 PM
I am flooded with work but i couldn't resist the theme so i will enter this challenge... This is my first ever vfx challenge... I wish i will find the time to finish it... I will use houdini for everything... I will also use one of the following back plates.. which one do you like most??? I was thinking about the left one... thanks in advance for any reply.. c ya around...

CourtJester
03-20-2003, 12:01 AM
#1 has more depth, and lends itself to good, flowing compositions. The second one seems a bit flat (funny thing to say about a canyon, I know:D ).

The first one, with the camera's POV low to the ground, lends itself to being very deep, heavy on the perspective, which would allow you to get away with more shape, less detail in your alien structures (because of distance), and you could fly something by at high speed to emphasize that depth.

However, the foreground rocks in the second one lend themselves to the cinematic reveal that many of us are doing, and it could be made more dramatic by messing with the lighting once you've separated the foreground and the background. It too, is distant, but without something extending from near-camera to far (as with the ground in #1), it's "just" far away... so you'll have the challenge of making your structures detailed *and* large scale.

Good luck!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.