PDA

View Full Version : Flame / Inferno apprenticeships

muradc
06-16-2007, 04:41 AM
I am a recent graduate. I was wondering if anyone knew of any studios offering a flame or Inferno apprenticeships in the LA area. If not if any studios hire flame assistants. If the above 2 are not possible any advice on classes I could take would be great. Would love to have a flame artist mentor. My work can be seen at muradc.com.

beaker
06-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Look around for studios in LA that have Flame/Inferno boxes and get a job as an intern, tape op, PA, I/O room, Render Wrangler, etc...

razorback
07-15-2007, 06:40 PM
First post in the compositing forum ! WWeeeeeeeee....

Unfortunately, the barrier of entry to these suites is still pretty high. The price of the system , not to mention maintennence fees, require the machine to run pretty often (well in this part of the world anyway).

Beaker's suggestion is pretty much the traditional route into the suite. Its a real test of patience / passion. I've seen people get stuck as a tape op for as long as 3 years. That means 3 years of working shifts, being asked to do stuff that you never thought you'd be asked to do, always drawing the short straw(or having it drawn for you) and of course miserable salary. But it is a good way to learn the ins and outs of a facility, the machines and what they can really do.

This of course is the preference to being a PA/intern/coffee boy/tea lady/dispatch. You don't learn anything about being a compositor. It does however open up other opportunities... client servicing / facilitator / producer etc.

I hope I'm not scaring you, as this may not happen at every facility. I took the alternative route. Started as 3D, then doing more and more compositing (nobody puts together my junk quite as well as I do :). But I never quite made it to being a compositor, I do some front room compositing and post supervision these days.

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2007, 06:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.