PDA

View Full Version : VRay 0.50

FrageNSTEIN
04-05-2002, 01:32 AM
I have the last released free version of VRay. As far as I can see, there is no way to adjust things like SPecularity and glossiness in the VRay Material. I like how VRay renders thingsl ike DOF faster than brazil (I like brazil alot tho), but I can't do without those very basic materials properties.

Whats up?

D

skunk184
04-05-2002, 03:41 AM
i could nt work out the vray material in the beta at all so i just use a standard material with the vray maps for refraction and reflection...the vray light in the beta is a bit strange aswell.....it s probably been sorted for the final release....

FrageNSTEIN
04-05-2002, 04:57 AM
Using Max materials... does VRay render all aspects of them properly?

D

skunk184
04-08-2002, 03:37 AM
yeah max standard materials seem fine to me.........just use the vray map instead of raytrace for reflection and refraction.......i ve been playing with vray for a bit and i think its fantastic.........its just so fast!!!!

FrageNSTEIN
04-08-2002, 04:23 AM
Yes, I've been using Brazil for quite some time and it is great, but it is too slow and still lacks some things. When Brazil gets a full release out, I think I will like it more than anything, but who can tell when that will be. Until then I may try to figure out VRay. I love how fast VRay does DOF. It hardly slows VRay down for DOF, whereas Brazil goes like 3x slower.

D

skunk184
04-08-2002, 06:01 AM
i ve been playing with brazil too ........its very accurate but like you say its far too sloooooow,if brazil gets them render times close to vrays id be impressed but i got a feeling it wont......i d hate to render an animation using brazil , id never get any work rendered:( ........its a shame cause it definately produces the best results out of the two but vray does a fair job in a tenth of the time

FrageNSTEIN
04-08-2002, 06:32 AM
I have rendered ONE animation with Brazil. It was not too great. It was near the time I started using Brazil.

You can see it here:
http://members.cox.net/fragenstein.d/folio_elise.html

D

skunk184
04-08-2002, 07:01 AM
looks nice ...... how long did it take to render and what resolution.....everything i do is at 768x768(PAL)which is a pain ........ im trying to get my portfolio ready for video....ive got loads of scenes done but unrendered.....

ilasolomon
05-04-2002, 01:36 PM
hi
i'v rendered a 10sec test animation with vray, it's buggy with GI.
there is some 'appear/disappear' spots here & there on mesh.
it's a shading problem that can't keep the shading "unique" w/ GI.
also, the GI rendering of vray is more flat than brazil & less Quality
the speed is fantastic! the version was 0.5
(i prefer speed/quality rather than quality/speed for anims)
ila

egz
05-06-2002, 05:32 AM
Ila, if you save generate an irridiance map first, and use the saved solution that should keep the spots away. Also you might want to render the irridiance map wtih a low interpolation setting, then increase that to 60-100 for the image pass. Produces fast and smooth results..

Fragenstein: The Vray material uses reflection to generate highlights, just like the real world.

Oh btw, the final VRay version is a lot faster than the beta.

ilasolomon
05-06-2002, 08:06 AM
thank you very much, i'll try that. :)
ila

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.