PDA

View Full Version : Reflection Pass Alpha

KDogHall
06-14-2007, 05:27 PM
I've got a scene where I have a large mirror. However I have the room lit with mental ray and the character lit with software, and therefore seperate render passes need to be done in order to have the environment and character reflected in the mirror. However, when rendering the character in the mirror I am having trouble with compositing. This is because there is no alpha channel for the parts of the mirror that are reflecting nothing. So when I bring the render into after effects, there is the part of the mirror reflecting the character and then black space. Is there a way to fix this in after effects or maya so that I can put these two passes together. I have tried rendering with a red background color for the camera, however when i use "linear color key" in after effects, there is still a read halo around the character and if i bump up the tolerance then part of the character disappears.

KDogHall
06-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Actually found a way to get into contact with someone about this and found out that the "use background" shader was the answer. So I've learned something today.

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2007, 06:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.