PDA

View Full Version : Animation curves

TTYO
06-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Hi I want to know what are the animation curves are for I heard that I can create slow in and slow out. But I am confused on how to use them after looking at so many curves in an animation.... @_@[dizzy]

Can anyone give me an intro, I hope it's not mathematical, my maths was scrape thru back in O levels.....

AndreKling
06-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Basically is a representation of the motion over time divided by the axis, for example the red curve ( usually is the x axis ) goes from 0.0 to 10.0 in 40 frames in a straight line, this mean every frame will be evenlly spaced, but if you play around with the curves, u can make it goes slower between 0.0 up to 0.3 than goes really fast and start to slow down around 0.8 to 1.0..
its hard to explain in words specially when english is not my main language, but its not that hard really, just play around with it. The curves is a great tool to help you ¨see¨ the animation, its more like a representation of your inbetweeners. at least this is how i see it.
Hope it helps.
Andre

AndreKling
06-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Ok, i thought it wasnt very clear what i was saying about curves, and its simpler to show by a litle example, so i did this small image that explains how curves works, and you can figure out how to use it in for your best interest.
sometimes an image says more than thousand words ( specially when its not in your native language :) ).

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5208/curvesjw1.jpg

In the first row you hv a staight line in the X motion of the ball, so it is evenlly spaced through out all the frames.

in the second row you hv a more slow in slow out cuve, where the ball starts slow gets speed and slow down again before hitting the last frame.

in the third row you a slow out curve where the ball starts slowly and gets speed.

in the forth row you have a slow in curve where the ball lose speeds until it stops.

in the last row you have a constant curve, this one the ball ¨pops¨ to the position of the last frame, this is very usefull to check out your timing and your positions before starts playing around with curves.

I usually works with linear curves for most of the video game engines i know doesnt support other kind of curves ( actually renderware used to support, but by creating automatic key frames and using linear interp ), so in order to not hv funny surprises after exporting i tend to use linear and create myself the importants in btween aplying the knowlegde of slow in n out.
Its really cool to use curves, and it totally changes the feel of the motion, so its a tool that is worth to sepnd some time playing with and no math required ( for most of it at least =) ). so have fun and i hope this helps.
Andre

GoldenCamel
06-17-2007, 07:03 AM
http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorial_Splines1.htm

http://www.navone.org/HTML/Tutorial_Splines2.htm

Nucleo
06-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Awesome explanation and tutorials.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2007, 08:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.