PDA

View Full Version : Substitute geometry having different uv?

animaxforever
06-14-2007, 07:54 AM
hi guys,

here's the situation. I had a quadraped model rigged and all set up but for some reason i had to change the uv of the model.Now as i rigged and skinned the model with the old uv, how can i transfer the skinning to new uv.The old unwrap was having overlapping uv.I tried just transfering uv from new model to the old rigged model.i even tried substitute geometry, the model gets substituted but it gets disconnected from the rig.

_stev_
06-15-2007, 06:01 PM
If you've only edited the UVs of then model then you should be able to save the skin envelopes of the old model, and then load them onto the new model.

Select the old mesh that is skinned, go to the Advanced Parameters rollout in the skin modifier and hit save to save a skin env file.

Add a Skin modifier to your new mesh with the correct UVs and add the correct bones. In the skin modifier load the file you just saved. In the load dialog be sure to hit Match By Name so the two bone lists match up.

If this doesn't work then you can use the Skin Utilities tool (utilities panel) to transfer the skin data from the old mesh to the new one.

Stev

LucentDreams
06-15-2007, 08:45 PM
if its maya 8 there should be a UV transfer command, can't remember what it is called off hand, but it will transfer the UV's really well if its the same model.

If its cinema 10 you can use VAMP to transfer weights or UV's, and in XSI 5 or higher you can use GATOR to transfer. If its max or LW I"m unaware of any solutions.

_stev_
06-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Ooops. I should have specified that my post was if you are using 3ds Max.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2007, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.