PDA

View Full Version : Maya 8.5/MR 3.5.6.7 But No Mia_Material in Hypershade

RMutt
06-13-2007, 10:42 PM
I recently installed Autodesk Maya 8.5 with mental ray: version 3.5.6.7 (revision 19663) on a new pc with Windows XP and it works fine except Mia_Material is missing from the mental ray Materials section of the Hypershade. So far I have:

* Checked the Shader Manager (Windows-->Rendering Editors-->mental ray-->Shader Manager) to make sure that architectural.mi is loaded.
* Checked the "include" and "lib" folders to make sure that architectural.mi and architectural.dll are present and void of errors.
* Checked the Plugin Manager to make sure that Mayatomr.mll is Loaded/Auto load.
* Completely uninstalled and reinstalled Maya 8.5 several times.
* Manually updated maya rayrc to include:

link "{MAYABASE}/lib/architectural.{DSO}"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/architectural.mi"

To my understanding Maya is loading all lib and include files automatically. The Script Editor provides the following information on startup:

// mental ray for Maya 8.5
// mental ray for Maya: using startup file C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/maya.rayrc
// mental ray for Maya: setup
// mental ray for Maya: initialize
// mental ray for Maya: using 1 license
// mental ray for Maya: register extensions
// mental ray Node Factory: loaded
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/include/architectural.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/architectural.dll
// generating Maya nodes...
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/include/base.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/base.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/include/contour.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/contour.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/include/paint.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/paint.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/include/physics.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/physics.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/include/subsurface.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/subsurface.dll
// parsing C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/include/surfaceSampler.mi
// loading C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/surfaceSampler.dll
// mental ray for Maya: successfully registered
// mental ray for Maya: loading startup file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/maya.rayrc

Yet it never seems to load. I really don't know what else to do at this stage.

techmage
06-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Can you use the physical sun/sky? Because that comes in the architectural.dll .mi as well. So if you can use the physical sun/sky you know the shaders are properly loaded. Just for some reason maya isn't showing the mia_material. Are you sure mia_material isn't in there? Also, I would take out the manual edits of the rayc file, there not needed. Like I said I suspect mental ray is loading the architectual library just fine, maya may just not be showing the icon for mia_material, which has nothing to do with the rayc file.

RMutt
06-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sun and Sky do load. So unless I'm looking for it in the wrong place within the Hypershade (Mental Ray-->materials)then I don't know what else to do. I'll take out the manual edits, but remember it wasn't loading before these changes.

cpan
06-14-2007, 07:44 AM
rename the "My Documents/maya" folder to a random name and run maya again. If the shader appears in maya's UI now, then rename back your old "maya" folder and delete the fallowing files from it's recurse folders:
shouldAppearInNodeCreateUI.mel
and all the other archmat4maya8 scripts!

btw leave the rayrc file to its default contents!

fabergambis
06-14-2007, 12:33 PM
If you installed before in Maya 8.0 the A&D ported by yashu, you probably have to 'clean up' the scripts folder in your Documents&Settings, as the old A&D sripts causes many conflicts with new architectural shaders in Maya 8.5. I experienced the same problem with the mia_material icon in the hypershade; once I removed old scripts, everything worked fine.

RMutt
06-14-2007, 10:15 PM
yashu and fabergambis,

Thank you soooooo much...that was the problem. Thanks for taking the time to assist and let me know if there's something I can assist you with in return.

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2007, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.