PDA

View Full Version : C'mon discreet, let c2 play with Maya!

dmeyer
03-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Has anyone had any formidable success using Maya with the 3d post features That Combustion can read out of a RPF? I've been seeing some really cool stuff done with extreme ease in post coming from Max renders in c2...however I'm not going to switch to Max just for that...

Can Maya write out usable necessary data to RLA/RPF? Is there a way to fudge the data coming into c2 (say with multiple passes)? Are there any plugins?

dg
03-19-2003, 03:27 AM
Hi Dmeyer,

For all that i know C2 doesn't work with Maya's RLA or RPF files, seems that C2 is made to read the header of discreet's RLA, RPF files only, but you can ask to Grant Key, he can give you a better answer on this. About any workaround I don't know any, sorry.

See Ya!:cool:

GrantKay
03-20-2003, 03:59 PM
Hi,

First off, I have been visiting alot of post houses lately and it is very clear that Maya does not generate RPFs. This is up to alias to add support for the file format if that is what they feel Maya needs for the next release.

As for the RLAs, combustion can read the file format and you can composite with it but you can make little use of the embedded information due to the way the header information in the file.

It is not a matter of "oh discreet only wants you to use RLAs from Max", it is just the way each system generates their files.

You could try looking at iff files instead as they transfer the Z-depth information in the file.

You need to experiment and see what suits you best.

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

lux
03-30-2003, 04:28 PM
I just completed a project for a major American broadcaster which made great use of the 3D post filters in Combustion. You have to use the Maya IFF file format to get anything to work. 3D fog and 3D lens flares work, Show G Buffer works. DOF, MB, etc. do not work. You can get around this by using the Show G Buffer operator to turn the Z info into a grayscale RGB image and use it to drive a compound blur on your footage. Be warned the Maya Z info is not anti-aliased so you will have to use matte controls and slight blurs to avoid artifacts, etc.

To have more control over your MB you can render 2D motion blur with keep motion vectors turned on. This creates a file which you must process with blur2d, a maya companion program. With Z info and MB vectors a D1 resolution frame will take up 4MB. So be prepared for the storage hit.

All in all it was a fabulous production pipeline and we saved a lot of labor and stretched look vs budget restrictions to a whole new level.

Hope this helps,

Lux

Br0nZiLLa
03-31-2003, 06:53 PM
thanks for the replies, that helped me too!:)

policarpo
04-01-2003, 04:33 AM
hey...for what it is worth...check out this great plug-in for After Effects which does a great job with DOF in post:
http://www.frischluft.com/

the developer tells me that it will work fine in combustion 2.1...so download the demo, look at the gallery...and have fun!

tell him I sent ya!:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.