PDA

View Full Version : Honest Question

Astral
03-19-2003, 03:14 AM
The only thing that is really held me off from jumping on the Maya bandwagon is rendering. At the price point for complete it is hard to continue to do so.

My only question is can the native render be counted on for small project's? I hear it is so slow but how slow is slow?

Thanks for any insight

jeremybirn
03-19-2003, 03:26 AM
Of course the renderer can be used for small projects. The only package that probably beats Maya on render speed, quality, and price at once is Lightwave, and there you don't get nearly as good a character animation package (or dynamics or other things that come with maya.)

Sure, Softimage|XSI with it's integrated Mental Ray has some rendering advantages, but at a higher price than Maya Complete. 3D Studio Max with Character Studio and Brazil will also set you back more than Maya, for a less popular character animation solution missing many of Maya's benefits.

For a personal animation project, most people keep their TV-res animation renders down to 5 or 10 minutes a frame or so, depending on what they're tryng to accomplish.

-jeremy

Astral
03-19-2003, 03:36 AM
Well thank you very much Jeremy

I use Max and have a fond place for it. I just can not any longer ignore Maya complete at the price it is at. XSI is too steep for me at this time.

With that question answered by someone that would know, I see no reason to hold off any longer.

Take Care

Miyazaki
03-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by jeremybirn
The only package that probably beats Maya on render speed, quality, and price at once is Lightwave...
[/B]
and C4D, of course. Probably the fastes native renderer with an excellent quality.

@Astral
For MayaComp price, you can`t be wrong. 2 times cheaper as Max and if you are not satisfied with the native renderer(which is not so bad as it`s often said), you can get Lightwave for rendering, or cinema. OK, maybe there are better solutions, but it`s not as expensive(MayaComp + Cinema or LW together) as Max. Beside that, Maya has a lot of other benefits, as jeremybirn mentioned. But ask yourself if you really feel the need to change.

plotz
03-19-2003, 06:34 PM
I'm a one man band, and I've been using Maya for a few years now.

The Maya renderer is actually very capable...IMO it's the interface to the renderer that causes people problems, and thus results in worse looking renders.

The only place where Maya really slows down terribly is when doing soft depth mapped shadows and volumetric lighting. For the basic stuff it's no speed demon...but it's not impossible to get along with.

I've heard a lot of people say that Lightwave is 2-3x faster than Maya, and I haven't found that to be the case for final renders.

I also use Lightwave, and I haven't found it to be that much faster than Maya once I turn the AA up and the shading noise reduction on for final renders.

The best thing you can do is download a copy of Maya PLE and do some tests for yourself...see if the kind of things you do in a render are acceptably fast for you. (Keep in mind PLE is limited to single processor rendering.)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.