PDA

View Full Version : Foilage on a Plane Rendered in Alpha Channel?

Xenon
06-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi,

i am rendering with Maya 8.5 and Mental Ray and need to find a way to Render Foilage in the Alpha Channel.

The Foilage itself is built out of Planes that have a Shader with an Alpha Channel assigned thus making the Planes Transparent. When i render the Scene, the Alpha Channel of the Rendered Image does not pick up the Alpha Channel of the Planes but just renders out the planes themselves.

I need a Shader or a workaround that allows me to render out the Alpha Channel of the Foilage directly. Is there a way to do that ?

fabergambis
06-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Don't know if it works, but in the mia_material there's an option in the transparency tab that 'propagates transparency in Alpha cannel'. But to get planes textured with an Alpha Channel work, you have to connect the texture to the cutout opacity slot of the mia_material, use the shader itself as shadow shader, and maybe you'll get the desired result without that option I talked before.

P.S. make sure you enabled the Alpha option in the Custom section of render settings ;)

techmage
06-13-2007, 11:17 PM
The mia_material cutout opacity slot is for this purpose. It works well, I have used it alot when doing trees.

Xenon
06-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Thank you, i am going to give it a try. Another solution is to switch the renderer to raytracing and render out the alpha channel ....

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2007, 08:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.