PDA

View Full Version : Can you redo topology in Cinema?

ThePriest
06-13-2007, 06:46 AM
Much like you can with ZBrush or Silo...

Per-Anders
06-13-2007, 06:51 AM
There is no topology brush, but certainly you can redo topology any number of traditional ways. The simplest being use the make polygon tool in quads mode with 3d snap enabled and snaping to the underlying surface. Then you can subdivide that however you want and use shrinkwrap to bring in the detail of the underlying mesh. You can also make use of methods involving spline modeling etc. There are quite a few ways to do this.

It has to be said that neither the topology brush, nor the zbrush implementation are very useable compared to just using good old make polygon tool (in their current states at least). I remember having an idea for a topology brush system sometime before silo came out with one (though no-one was very interested in the idea back then, it was around the time of Mesh Surgery), maybe I should consider making one as a commercial plugin when I get the chance to show how I think it ought to be done (after my dissapointment with the zbrush implementation).

ThePriest
06-13-2007, 07:22 AM
I've not mastered ZBrush3 enough to judge fairly,
but the method as shown in numerous tutorials is less than practical,
bordering on cumbersome and frustrating.
I wouldn't want to re-create an entire body this way.

The simplest way surely would be to simply draw/paint a spline
that projects on the model, with numerous settings on
how tightly to conform to the existing geometry. I recall DiPainter
having a similar function, but I doubt it's effectiveness in the long run.

It would be a very welcome plugin if you're considering.

ThePriest
06-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Also

What's "shrinkwrap" ??

LucentDreams
06-13-2007, 07:39 AM
I'll try and get chi into this thread tomorrow if I can. He's explored this a lot and had a really good technique down using the shrinkwrap deformer that came in r10.

The shrinkwrap deformer is found int he character menu and wraps one mesh to another target mesh.

Srek
06-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Shrinkwrap is a new deformer that comes with MOCCA in R10
Cheers
Björn

StructAural
06-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Where does one find it Srek?

Though I'm new to Mocca and probably couldn't use it, but where are the MOCCA deformers found?

Srek
06-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Like Kai said, in the Character menu
Cheers
Björn

StructAural
06-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh yes, sorry bit early for me.

ecore
06-13-2007, 04:01 PM
look here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEHi3ZbvTsY),my stupid way.

ThePriest
06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
look here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEHi3ZbvTsY),my stupid way.

Nice.

That concept in a plugin specifically setup for this task with a more automated mesh creation is the way it should be done.

teamcarlisle
06-14-2007, 01:52 AM
If you don't mind trying another product, Blender3d has a retopo tool, I've never tried it though, so I couldn't tell you if its any good. Its free so it might be worth looking into. I don't normally lurk around the C4D forums, but I'm thinking about looking into it after they get Collada support. ( I read somewhere on google that Maxon's head guy says they are VERY interested in collada, but like their other releases/updates they won't announce anything about it until they are ready to release it)

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2007, 01:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.