PDA

View Full Version : Princess Dye-ku, Apt Pupil (3D)

Apt Pupil
03-18-2003, 10:18 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3201/princessDyeKu_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/3201/princessDyeKu.jpg)

Here is the concept of an assassin character I am working on in my spare time.

Apt Pupil
03-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Here is the model that's in progress. She's at 3500 polies on the nose.

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/assasin/ku03.jpg

Prs-Phil
03-18-2003, 10:45 PM
Very nice work

Maybe you could pull the hair back that is hanging of the front. It covers to much of the face in my eyes.

Good concept, good model ... now you need a good tex.

Edouard
03-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Nice concept, succes with the model:beer:

Apt Pupil
03-20-2003, 01:29 AM
Here is how she is shaping up in color.

Prs-Phil --> thanks:) Once I have her rigged, I'll pull back her hair some more.

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/assasin/assassinwip02.jpg

KoS
03-20-2003, 01:56 AM
:thumbsup:

Prs-Phil
03-20-2003, 07:06 PM
np

Getting on great with that texture ... just like the concept. :thumbsup:

Hellwolve
03-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Ooooohhh! Pretty!

I'm defintly folowing this one :thumbsup:

CGmonkey
03-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Gah you've almost followed the concept exactly, master skill! :applause:

Nice work, keep up the good work mate!
Cheers :beer:

Apt Pupil
03-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Thanks guys:)

Well, she's not quite finished, I didn't use any alpha channels for bumps and stuff, and her glows have not been activated yet (with a glow map:) ), but here is what she looks like so far.

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/assasin/001mainshot.jpg

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/assasin/003FrontSide.jpg

Witchy
03-21-2003, 12:24 AM
Looking really good- you certainly are one skilled artist. Nice work.

Roach[MXF]
03-21-2003, 12:32 AM
I have always loved and admired your work. I feel that if you tweaked some verts on the legs (without deleting or adding so you dont have to re-texture) you could get a more feminine form like the concept maybe shoulder to hip ratio is different or something, I realize that her pants are "falling" it looks amazing and great job duplicating the concept I just feel that if you played sith a few proportions she woudl have a more seductive female physique great job man :) Now I am going to model some low poly you have inspired me. -Jeremy-

sbp
03-21-2003, 06:46 AM
Cool concept and I really like the color scheme! Any chance you could please post the face wire?

SIGIL
03-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Very nice character design and construction.

yellowworm
03-22-2003, 02:17 PM
brillant!

your colors/concept are awesome.

very well done.

Akildee
03-22-2003, 10:52 PM
very nice work man!

only one crit. I love the skinny waist to wide hip ratio you have in your character design at the top of your post. Maybe you could bring that to your model? Her waist area looks a little thick. But I wouldn't have said anything if I didn't see the character sheet! Good job man.

akil

BlackMedusa
03-23-2003, 02:50 AM
nice design
I like the tattoos in the face and you're textures are really great for you're scratch on the paint did you do it in photoshop?
:airguitar

Apt Pupil
03-23-2003, 06:38 AM
Hey, thanks guys. I am going to work some more on her this week in my spare time. There is still quite a bit to be done on her. So, in my next update, she will be finished. If anyone should notice anything else wrong or wierd about her, don't hesitate to tell me. I would like to try and make her thread star material if I can:)

Roach[MXF] --> I am going to tweak her legs as you suggested. She does seem a little boyish right now, I'll see if I can make her look more feminine. Good call, Thanks:)

sbp --> No, I have no time to post a face wire . . . but here is one anyways:) heheh (if this one is not alright, I'll change it).
http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/assasin/face1.jpg

Akildee --> Ok, will do. Roach[MXF] also suggested that I should tweak that area as well. I handn't noticed that little quirk, but I will be sure to correct it. Thanks man.

BlackMedusa --> Yes, I created everything in photoshop from scratch. however, I still have to refine a few areas that I have been sloppy on (like her fingers and pants folds). I don't usually like cutting and pasting pieces from real life photos because I find it makes a model look kind of . . . ugly. I am more the painterly/stylized type:arteest:

I'll be back:wavey:

lildragon
03-23-2003, 07:29 AM
You've got skillz kid, I never seen such an awesome transfer from 2D to 3D like this. Very very closely matching the sketch. BTW who drew the concept? If it was you, much respect man :) [PLUGGED]

salud

mv
03-23-2003, 08:13 AM
Great work my friend! much excellent concept and good transaltion in 3d..
If I may add some crits:p :
why are the pants open on the side? is that intentional, or are you just showing how's the model under? because the pants are soo elegant and cool; it'b be better all plain. I also wonder if you can detail the texture more? I think the black separation between the armor plates could be less wide.I also think your highlights on the armor could be better if not so whitish and overcontrasted .
Keep it up !:buttrock: :beer:

jfalconer
03-23-2003, 08:35 AM
I like it, but I would like it more with the cool helmet you designed... now that I've seen the concept, I feel the model somewhat lacks something without it. Had I not seen the concept I probably wouldn't know any better... ;)

Apt Pupil
03-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Lildragon --> Thanks for the plug:) Yes, I drew the Concept. My goal is to get my concepts up to par with my models. Still some ways to go though.

Here are my innitial 'quicky' sketches I did to figure out what type of assasin I should go for (I probably shouldn't post them because they are quite ugly, but, oh well)

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/assasin/sketch_01.jpg

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/assasin/sketch_02.jpg

M@ --> "If I may add some crits" But of course you may, it's always appriciated:) The pants are open on the side to make her look more attractive (I love those slit gown type pants:drool: so I thought I would incorperate it onto her). But, it's still armored underneath to suggest she is more then just a pretty gal heheh. As for adding more details to the textures, that's on my to do list. She has not been finalized yet, this was only a rush progress shot. I will look into the armor plates though, and I'll reduce the whitish parts of her armor, thanks bud.

Recycle_Me
03-23-2003, 10:17 AM
Dude, you have great design sense! I just wish there was a game decent enough to compliment a great character like this.

:buttrock:

Zhalktis
03-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Man! This is simply great!:D
Me drool... :drool:

The transition from 2D to 3D is perfect! And the modelling/texturing looks great. I really don't know what could look "not right". :)

Eudaimic
03-23-2003, 10:31 AM
I loooove this model! I really don't have any crits on the model or the texture.

But I don't care much for your site though, I don't think it does your work justice at all. Just thought I throw that in there.

Ti-Ki
03-23-2003, 11:53 AM
Yep, really nice transcription to 3D, specialy with low poly character ! :buttrock:

Can you post the texture map please ? :)

Eudaimic
03-23-2003, 12:08 PM
I'm guessing this is a Star Wars model, right? Will you be animating it?

hanzo
03-23-2003, 07:16 PM
Hey this chick...is origional!

Apt Pupil nice job!, love the consepts, but I think u should make the area of the nose between the eyes thiner... also you may want to round the face off a bit, and flar the hair out so it looks less boxy.

but hey thats just my crit, so again GreatJob!

Solishu
03-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Maybe you should flatten the bulges of armor right below her shoulders, to look closer to the plate-like piece in the concept. When I first looked at the model, I thought those were her breasts, and it really bothered me.

Roach[MXF]
03-23-2003, 08:42 PM
What are you talking about? those concepts are great I really like #1,2 and 6 they are grande. The shoes on #3 and 5 are great. I really like the arm you have drawn on #4 particularly the hand. -Jeremy-

MrHappyPants
03-23-2003, 11:32 PM
wow great stuff! some minor stuff I see though...

overall the mesh reads as a little boxy and thick to me.. people have mentioned it and i totally agree. she might look better with her proportions thinned up alot. the posed view looks awesome though so who knows? maybe it wont change her in an engine. for the front/side ortho views though she just looks kinda thick.

I agree with hanzo, the face could use little adjustments to make her look more feminine. the top of the nose is kinda wide, and the chin is on the manly side to me?

one other thing that I think would REALLY add to the final version... have you thought about removing that square helmet and just leaving her sexy hair as it is? kinda looks confusing to me to see the hair coming out of a square.. it doesnt quite read as a skull, yet it doesnt quite read as a helmet either? dont know but that might help the readibilty.

also.. have you tried making the pants see through silk with alpha, and showing the legs? might look really cool?

I havent seen too many pieces this nice.. and your concepts are awesome, someday I hope to have strong 2d like that!, great designs. :thumbsup:

Bahlswede
03-24-2003, 12:05 AM
Awesome apt. You got my vote :buttrock:

Jeffo
03-24-2003, 02:51 AM
hey apt,

very cool work man! love the concept and the 3d, this was for the challenge on cgchat right?
i dig the colors, any chance on seeing the texture sheet, and what size of maps did you use?

:thumbsup:

Monkeyfarm
03-24-2003, 06:31 AM
My goal is to get my concepts up to par with my models

Why? Who the F*** cares what you need to do to get to the finished state? Because Miro or Dali could not visualize 3D forms or sculpt does that make them less valuable as an aritst?!!!! do you think in 3D and you realize your vision in a computer vs. clay or rock, does that make you less of a sculpture? because you lack 2D sketching abilities does that not make you an artist?

Do what you do, be proud of it, and live by it.

Prs-Phil
03-24-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Monkeyfarm
Why? Who the F*** cares what you need to do to get to the finished state? Because Miro or Dali could not visualize 3D forms or sculpt does that make them less valuable as an aritst?!!!! do you think in 3D and you realize your vision in a computer vs. clay or rock, does that make you less of a sculpture? because you lack 2D sketching abilities does that not make you an artist?

You speak true words ... Ive got nothing to add to this

but something to the model. I think its great that it has been added to the frontpage. :thumbsup:

Apt Pupil
03-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Monkeyfarm --> I certainly agree with "Do what you do, be proud of it, and live by it." However, maybe I ought to explain myself a little more. I don't imaging I will always be creating (modeling, texturing) my own concepts. Therefor, if I want to be a concept artist and if I can't draw a concept that everyone in the team understands, then what's the point :hmm: I would like to be multi proficient so that anyone can take up from where I leave off. I guess the way I said it before could have been easily miss understood though:p

Jeffo --> Hey there Jeffo. Yes this was for what you said. I used two 512 sheets but I still have to create and use their alphas. however, I will post the texture sheets once I have finished refining her just a bit.

Bahlswede --> Hey there Bahlswede, thanks bud. What happened to you, I thought you were going to enter as well?

MrHappyPants --> I will correct the proportions and move a few verts here and there for the suggested places you mentioned. Thanks. However, for the pants, I cannot make them see through because, in order to get the model down to 3500 polies, I had to delete a few things. The other side of her legs were one of them:) As for the helmet, hmmm, I'll look into it. I'll try and make it look more like a helmet. Thanks again.

Roach[MXF] --> Thanks. I am glad you like them. My choices fell down to number 6 and 1. I found one had more potential for originality and I ended up really liking the slit pants idea.

Solishu --> hmmm, I think I would have to correct this with the textures and not the model. I will look into it thanks.

hanzo --> Ok, will do, expecially the face, Thanks.

Eudaimic --> To be honest, I don't know what type of character she is. However, I doubt she would fit in the star wars universe:p As for animating, perhaps, but not in the near future. Right now I am concentrating on concepts, modeling and texturing. Animating will be the next skill I try for after I round out these three some more.

insect666 & Recycle_Me --> Thanks guys:)

Apt Pupil
03-24-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, when I get some more time, I will start implementing them on her and post a final version. The suggestions you all made will certainly make her look much better. She will be my best piece yet (for a while).

Eudaimic --> Oh, I forgot to mention, yes, I understand about the website. Actually, I wanted to be a fantasy artist and paint fantasy things and stuff, however, things took a turn for the better, and I am now going full throttle into the gaming field. So, I will diffinatly have to reconstruct my website.

Jelo
03-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Nice work.
But I have to tell you that you should be thinking over that face painting beneath her eyes. As they fooled me to think it was here eyes. It's only really apparent when here face is far away or the head is really small on the image. Maybe you should make it with another shape or change color or make it less dark. as it steals the attention from the eyes.

I will try to explane what I mean with the image below:
http://www.jeloart.com/pub/forum/eyes.jpg

Cheers,
Joel

fellah
03-24-2003, 10:50 AM
hey apt,
really really nice, from sketch to model.
my only crit is that the color of the face looks overexposed to me, might be what your after though. maybe some small holes or teared corners of the "wing" to. nonetheless.. :drool:

lildragon
03-24-2003, 11:35 AM
I gave you my thoughts earlier, so you know how I feel ;) Love the execution man. Anymore like this?

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Eudaimic
03-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Monkeyfarm

Some companies require you to have excellent 2D skills. Just because you can't draw and you'er frustrated with that doesn't mean that it's not a very valuable skill to learn.

Eudaimic
03-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Apt Pupil
Eudaimic --> To be honest, I don't know what type of character she is. However, I doubt she would fit in the star wars universe:p As for animating, perhaps, but not in the near future. Right now I am concentrating on concepts, modeling and texturing. Animating will be the next skill I try for after I round out these three some more.

I agree that she'd not fit entirely in with SW, but she does seem to have a lightstaff :)

Apt Pupil
03-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Lildragon --> Sweeet! Thanks. Nope, I got no more characters like this, but, if a certain website that starts with a C and ends with a K would have a game art challenge section, then I deffinatly would Heheh:p

Eudaimic --> "I agree that she'd not fit entirely in with SW, but she does seem to have a lightstaff" Heheh, ya, I guess she does:p I am trying to think what game she would look good in, but, I am drawing a blank. I guess SW would be the closest thing:)

fellah --> Hey there fellah, it's been awhile. I agree, her face is really overexposed, I had 30 minutes left to create a scene and lights for her, so I just slapped some lights here and there and handed it in. I will fix it now though, thanks. As for the wing, I take it you are refering to her side cloak, good idea, I never thought about that. I'll give it a try.

Jelo --> Oh boy, you hit a tough one there. Actually, I had problems with the face tattoo. If I made it to dark, like you said, it would steal from the eyes. However, if I made it lighter, it would pop up in front or blend with the white hair. I'll see if I can fix it though, perhaps a different color or shape like you suggested would fix this. Thanks.

lildragon
03-24-2003, 11:17 PM
lol! :cool:

Virtuoso
03-25-2003, 12:22 AM
What a beautiful piece of work Apt.But I expect that from you. 3.500 polys,well,well,well. That's even more impressive.Can you imagine what you will be able to pull off in 3 years with the XBOX 2?

Elegant design,exotic,and done in your usual top notch manner.Another winner..................

:thumbsup: :beer:

Apt Pupil
04-25-2003, 09:16 AM
I finally had some time to fine tune her just a bit. She is now less plastic looking, I widened/rounded the hips, added hair to the back of her helmet, added transparency to the hair, removed her hand shield (I needed the polies:) ), added a bump, glow and transparency map (I don't know if I could do this in a game engine, but I croped my alpha 512 sheet into four 256s :shrug: ) and I fixed the folds in her pants.

I'll post one last image this weekend to show her with her glows activated along with some special fx:cool: Then, I'll see if I can make something for the expose book.

http://www.magicswithin.com/extras/assasin/0002.jpg

Thanks guys for all the helpfull comments.

Hellwolve
04-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Looking good!

I know, it's been said befor, but it's the truth ;)

PS.: I still want her....in a game :p

BlackZ
04-26-2003, 02:40 PM
WOW! Very hoh babe. I would love to see her in action :drool:

Eudaimic
04-26-2003, 02:43 PM
She looks really good. I've put her in my inspiration folder.

Only gripe is that she looks a wee bit too angry, but that's more a subjective thing I guess :)

Solve
04-27-2003, 12:49 AM
wow!
were those effects done in software, or did you photoshop them in?

shadi
11-20-2004, 06:13 AM
:bounce: I see the Future in your work .....

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.