PDA

View Full Version : houdini on linux

crgowo
03-18-2003, 11:14 PM
does anyone have the apprentice installed on linux. i wana start useing linux more but all my apps are for windows. So i wanted to know how houdini runs in linux. is it difficult to install? Thanks

Emrys
03-19-2003, 05:50 PM
It used to be easier to install Houdini on Linux than on windows. Now that they've got the installshield for windows though, its about the same :).

ie, its pretty easy. Just make sure you're root, and goto the install directory and run the install script. In my experience of installing houdini I've had less problems with Linux installations than with windows.

l8r
Marc

victoryinwin
07-13-2004, 04:51 PM
Reminding you again : Houdini run only redhat linux 7.3 & 8.0 & 9.0 but another linux release !!!

muttoab
07-23-2004, 02:05 AM
Reminding you again : Houdini run only redhat linux 7.3 & 8.0 & 9.0 but another linux release !!!I'm not sure if victoryinwin is trying to say that Houdini only runs on RH 7.3 -9.0 or that Houdini will run on another release....

But at any rate - Houdini 7.0.102 on SUSE 9.1 is excellent!!!.

MUTTOAB

dantea
07-23-2004, 11:43 PM
While RedHat is the only officially supported Linux distribution, many people have used other distributions. I've heard of Mandrake and Gentoo as well.

FKMaster
07-25-2004, 01:48 PM
it does work on my linux (mandrake10)
"houdini: error while loading shared libraries: libHoudiniDEVICE.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

does it work on fedora core ?

dantea
07-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Because Mandrake isn't officially supported, you need to know what you're doing. The OdForce wiki attempts to document these issues:
http://odforce.net/odwiki/index.php/PlatformIssues

Mandrake 10 and kernel 2.6

You need the following:libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 and you have to also set the following:setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1

For Fedora, I've heard that the RedHat 9 download for Houdini works.

MADjestic
08-02-2004, 05:47 PM
Men, Where the hell did u find such an info that SideFX supports only RedHat Linux?! That's totally wrong as it supports Unix-based Irix and Solaris as well - it runs perfectly on SUSE, Mandrake, Gentoo, Fedoracore and others.

GatorNic
09-17-2004, 12:17 AM
it does work on my linux (mandrake10)
"houdini: error while loading shared libraries: libHoudiniDEVICE.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Did you ever get it to work? I have the same error in Gentoo. I tried the Assume Kernel statement, as I had to do that with my old Red Hat install, but it did not work w/gentoo. I know all those library files are there, in dsolib. So obviously when I am doing the sourcing w/ houdini_setup something is not doing what it needs.

If I do tcsh houdini_setup, it gives no output and returns the prompt. If I try the houdini_setup_bash it processes and outputs the normal "Houdini x.x.x environment set..stuff", but it just outputs the shared library error when I try to run houdini.

Anybody have any ideas?

Baq
09-17-2004, 09:20 AM
I run Houdini on Slackware and it works pretty well, much moooore better, faster then windowz version also much mooore stable.

dantea
09-18-2004, 07:54 AM
Try this thread for gentoo:
http://www.sidefx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3009

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.