PDA

View Full Version : Content Browser Dilemma

Quadart
06-12-2007, 02:27 PM
I have a Content Browser dilemma. I searched this forum and did not find any helpful info. Iíve been using v10 since itís release, up from v9.6, and find it disturbing that the old and simple Browser was eliminated. The current Content Browser in r10(which was also present in r9.6 along with the old default Browser) is useless to me. It is excruciatingly slow at creating thumbnails and does not show folder content. The old Browser, on the other hand, was quick at creating catalogues and showed folder content. Why was that functionality and efficiency eliminated? Hopefully this is just a dumb question based on my oversight and a solution is right under my nose because Iím using r9.6 just for the Browser, and thatís ridiculous.

Quadart
06-12-2007, 09:40 PM
How about this.

Do you (anyone) prefer the "Content Browser" over the old "Browser" to catalogue model and texture assets?

If you prefer the "Content Browser". Please explain why.
If you preferred the now extinct "Browser". Please explain why.

I'm simply curious.

tmas73
06-12-2007, 09:44 PM
I just would be glad if one would work without eating whole libraries.

TMAS

Ernest Burden
06-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I never used the old one. Now I'm trying to use the one in 9.6 and it crashes when reading folders with certain files in it. I posted about this a few days ago.

Quadart
06-13-2007, 02:05 AM
I posted about this a few days ago.
I canít believe I missed your thread on this, even after a search (which obviously I screwed up along the way). I would not have started this redundant thread.
I havenít experienced any crashing with the CB as you have, just super long thumbnail creation times. I just need a simple, no frills, no bells and whistles browser to get to my assets quickly and to create categories/libraries quickly as the old default Browser was capable of doing along with itís ability to create thumbnails of files in sub-folders.
I literally cannot use the CB. The CB in v10 is as useless as it is in v9.6.

acmepixel
06-14-2007, 02:57 AM
I've always been frustrated by the CB, myself. If only Maxon would make the embeded jpeg thumbnails match the 3d filename, I'd be very happy. As it stands now, you can extract the thumbs from the catalog, but they all will have the same name as the catalog. [catalogname01, catalogname02, etc.] This still works but you have to make sure that you only catalog 3d files placed in folders so you can extract the jpegs and save them into the same folder, and each will be in the same alphabetical order as the catalog. this gives me a folder of 3d files with associated thumbnails that can be read by a DAM/cataloger like iView [now Expression Media].

If Maxon wrote the code for the Browser to keep the thumbnail name the same as the associated filename it would make things a whole lot easier to catalog 3d assets. It's a shame, really, because C4D can read so many formats. It's a missed marketing opportunity, in my opinion.

AdamT
06-14-2007, 04:51 AM
I find the new Browser more useful than the old one, but I do wish it had kept the ability to scan directories. At least now (since 10.something) you can add whole directories to Favorites through the context menu. If you let the browser cache your files it will be pretty quick.

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2007, 04:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.