PDA

View Full Version : massive problem

cg_fan_2003
03-18-2003, 10:41 PM
After following advice on this forum, i hooked my comp up as shown below;

Corsair XMS2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB PC2700 (2)

Western Digital Caviar 120GB IDE 7200RPM Special Edition 8MB cache

AMD Athlon XP2200+ 1.8 GHz 266 MHz bus
Socket A (Thoroughbred) Processor

GeForce4 Ti4200

Asus A7N8X Deluxe/GD mainboard Socket A
nForce2SPP

case

http://www.dabs.com/products/prod-info.asp?quicklinx=XCB

dvd/floppy etc

thermalright slk 800 + arctic silver 3

everything seemed hooked up properly but when i switch the power on i get nothing. any ideas?

elvis
03-18-2003, 10:48 PM
without seeing your setup just yet, it's hard to say. but my general advice when building a new system is take everything out (all cards, hard drives, etc) and just leave the CPU, motherboard, ram and vide. if you can get that much working, slowly piece by piece add things until it all works.

cg_fan_2003
03-18-2003, 10:50 PM
i did i switch it on nothing happens

Revelation 23
03-18-2003, 10:54 PM
The only thing I can add to that is what I had to do after I finished putting together a friends computer for him. He had the same problem - after everything was in, the computer still wouldn't boot.

If you're sure you're getting power, put in a PCI card instead of the GeForce. It won't be there for long. If the comptuter starts up, check in your BIOS for the AGP settings. You may need to change these in order for the GeForce to operate with your computer.

I don't remember exactly why this is an issue with some computers, but it could be that your BIOS has the AGP set to 2X instead of 4X (unless it's 8X compatible and your GF is an 8X).

Other than that, check all your motherboard settings again, remove all parts and put them back in again.

cg_fan_2003
03-18-2003, 11:00 PM
the card and board are 8x

Also has anyone used the cased model i have?

see above

dvornik
03-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Double-check where the power switch (2 thin cables from the power button) is plugged into the motherboard. Sometimes they are not marked clearly.

Revelation 23
03-18-2003, 11:03 PM
I thought that in newer motherboards (most ATX), you couldn't get the power supply connected to the board wrong? Isn't it just a single connector that only goes in one way?

cg_fan_2003
03-18-2003, 11:04 PM
that could be the problem dvor. but i think its a faulty PSU or mobo but i don't know

cg_fan_2003
03-18-2003, 11:05 PM
yeah a 20 pin connector. that went in fine.

dvornik
03-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Not the supply, the switches. The power and reset buttons.

cg_fan_2003
03-18-2003, 11:20 PM
:) funny. no the psu was built in the normal connectors to the hd etc cdrom etc are fine. mabey i got the case lights and the power button etc mixed up or something. again someone mentioned that they had this particular case, so past experiences would be good.

Signal2Noise
03-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Are you still having prob's? If so, does it do anything when you turn it on? A noise, a light, anything?

I had a similar problem when I built my first system and then I figured it out by fluke. It turned out to be the voltage switch on the power supply. I had to switch it to 115 from the 240 or whatever it was. It was set to a default from the Asian manufacturer which wasn't suitable for North America. Maybe that's it. Check for a little red switch on the back of the power supply.

If not, sorry. Hopefully you'll fix it.:)

dvornik
03-18-2003, 11:26 PM
These power and LED connectors are marked differently on most motherboards and computer cases. It's really easy to plug them the wrong way, happens to me all the time. Double-check with the motherboard manual and take your best guess with the wires in the case.

cg_fan_2003
03-18-2003, 11:37 PM
d: i reckon i'll just get this guy from a comp shop i know to come out 30 bucks let him figure it out LMAO. but just keep piling in advice will make my life alot easier.

Bjolletts
03-19-2003, 12:24 AM
Ok ... I am going to ask you a real stupid one now ... dont get angry :) .. but sometimes with these problems you can stare blind at the obvious without noticeing it ...

Have you flipped the power switch on the PSU on the right position ?

Anyway ... good luck with the problem :hmm:

gmask
03-19-2003, 12:35 AM
I think this usually means one of the 3 key components is not properly seated or connected. So either you CPU's, ram or Video card is loose or not seated correctly.

It would be kindof hard to not seat the CPU's correctly so it's either the video card or ram. Check your jumper settings as well and make sure you connected the power button to the correct pins on the motherboard.

cg_fan_2003
03-19-2003, 12:41 AM
Are you still having prob's? If so, does it do anything when you turn it on? A noise, a light, anything?

NOTHING

Alothere is no voltage switch on the PSU.

cg_fan_2003
03-19-2003, 12:43 AM
I had a similar problem when I built my first system and then I figured it out by fluke. It turned out to be the voltage switch on the power supply. I had to switch it to 115 from the 240 or whatever it was. It was set to a default from the Asian manufacturer which wasn't suitable for North America. Maybe that's it. Check for a little red switch on the back of the power supply.

I wish

cg_fan_2003
03-19-2003, 12:45 AM
Also there are 2 plugs for the power cords on the psu if this means anything?

Zukum
03-19-2003, 12:57 AM
Well..I'm going to sound real lame but what the heck. You mentioned you checked that the power supply swith was turned on or was non existent on the rear of your power supply unit. The power to the board only fits one way so you gotta have that on right. Heres where it sounds silly..have you replaced the actual power chord with another chord? Is the PC plugged directly into a wall outlet or into a power bar. If into a power bar have you tryied by-passing it and going staight to a wall socket. Can't begin to tell you how many times these minor things have stumped us here. People dismantling systems just cause there was a bad power chord

Have you tried the power supply in another pc? Are you sure it is actually providing power?

Ain't this fun? But whatever the case you are learning something new.

I have the A7V8X in a machine and it works great. Really llok forward to a positive outcome for you. Cheers

gmask
03-19-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by cg_fan_2003
Also there are 2 plugs for the power cords on the psu if this means anything?

Huh? Sometimes power supplies will have a through plug so you can use a special power cord to also connect your monitor.

gmask
03-19-2003, 01:39 AM
Here's some questions I came up with after reading the onlien manual for your motherboard..

Your ram is non-ECC correct?

I think it is possible to put the CPU in wrong way did you make sure that the notche was orientated so that it is closest to the hinge in the CPU lock bar?

Is the ATX power supply switch from the front panel of the case conected to pins 7 and 8 of the system panel connector on the mother board?

Other than that look to make sure that the video card is seated leve int he AGP slot and make sure that the clips on your DIMMS are secure.

Otherwise letting the guy look at for $30 is starting to sound liek a plan.

derelict
03-20-2003, 04:56 AM
do as dvornik say. i think u didnt do the softboot wire up correctly
its the one with 2 pin thingy thang has this very funny small wires that sometimes come in red and black or black and red stripe or whatever... but its a two pin bloody thing... it connects from the on/off button from the casing to the mobo. c 2 it that u have that properly plugged.

Valkyrien
03-20-2003, 07:00 AM
heh, one of the most annoying aspects of building a copmuter is getting the LED/ Switch leads plugged in the right way...especially since they never tell you exactly which wire goes in which socket, just which two pins correspond...try switching the power switch, you'll find yourself hitting your head going "what was I thinking?" in no time flat :D

bkw
03-20-2003, 07:21 AM
Anything happening with the computer at all? Did you try removing everything and trying to place them back in, trying to start up the comp after each component?

Maybe check to see if your motherboard is grounded. When I built my first comp, I think I seated the motherboard wrong and nothing happened when I tried to boot it up. Reinstalling the mobo into the case fixed it somehow.

About the switches and wire connecting to the motherboard, I think you just have to make sure you have the right pair of pins. For switches (power and reset), it should go in either way since it's just shorting the two pins.

gmask
03-20-2003, 06:34 PM
Maybe he's decided to take it to the $30 computer guy?

cg_fan_2003
03-23-2003, 07:37 PM
i have had no luck. i should test my psu in the case i got now. its either that the wires are connected properly or the mobo isn't grounded?

can u explain the motherboard being grounded bit. its just getting the time to do this sorta thing like i can't be arsed after work n stuff.

cg_fan_2003
03-23-2003, 07:40 PM
a guy with the username "chris" has this case on this forum.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.