PDA

View Full Version : bump feature in the mia_material

royter
06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
why isn't the bump option in the mia_material working?
i plugged a simple cheker map, and it is not working.

techmage
06-11-2007, 10:40 PM
you go

maya file node > bump 2d node > miss_set_normal > mia_material bump slot

royter
06-11-2007, 11:38 PM
http://www.aedii.qc.ca/v2/fichiers/uploads/section_4/1.jpgtried it, nothing hapened?

it's just nonsense, autodesk introduced the "bump option in the mia_material" to simplify things, they just made it worse !! apparently there is another workaround

i still prefer the bump combiner method even though it doesn't work properly with the mia_physical_sky

techmage
06-12-2007, 12:00 AM
Heres a working scene.

djx
06-12-2007, 04:01 AM
royterr, I think you need to check "alpha is luminance" in the file texture node.

-- David

dj80
06-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

I have tried with the scene file provided by rygoody, the checker in maya does not work as bump , i have tried water and fractal it works fine,am i missing something on the connections.

MaNdRaK18
06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
He probably has to check "Export With Shadeing Engine" in the Shading Group.

royter
06-18-2007, 06:11 PM
ok....i got the solution:

1- in the file texture i had to check "filter: quadratic" in order to see the bump effect in the mia_material wich is very weird, becose when u render in MR, u have to turn off filtering in order to get good texture results.

2- dont use filtering in the file texture (the right way). and just check "export with shading engine", but u get a weird difference in the bump effect.

btw: all procedural works but not the cheker.

another ...... by autodesk

Ironhalo
06-18-2007, 06:29 PM

1- in the file texture i had to check "filter: quadratic" in order to see the bump effect in the mia_material wich is very weird, becose when u render in MR, u have to turn off filtering in order to get good texture results.

2- dont use filtering in the file texture (the right way). and just check "export with shading engine", but u get a weird difference in the bump effect.

ive been using mipmap type along with a filter of .2 for a while with bumps and i've experienced no problems. export with shading engine is also checked. ive always had results that i expect to get.

are you using the maya checker procedural or the mental ray one? the maya one works fine for me. have you considered rebulding the scene?

Emil3d
06-18-2007, 11:26 PM
... the maya one works fine for me. ... I also can't make the Maya checker texture produce a bump map, unless it is used as a projection with the Maya bump3D node. Can you please post a simple working scene with the checker connected through bump2D node?

edit: I also tried different file texture formats .iff .tif .jpg and they all worked for me without a problem with any kind of filter type.

Ironhalo
06-19-2007, 03:32 PM
no problem. hope this helps!

Emil3d
06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Thank you very much Ironhalo,
the bump works nicely with your shading network, but not when I create an identical shading network. And the culprit is the mia_material3SG shading group.
Your shading network and mine work identiacly untill mia_material gets connected to yours or mine SG. I discovered this by disconnecting both materials from their SGs and then connecting each in the two different SGs. Yours works, mine doesn't. :sad:
I tried creating the mia_material and its CG in different ways - right clicking on the sphere and choosing mia_material, MMB dragging it from the Create bar in Hypershade onto the sphere, assigning a Maya Lambert to the sphere and using its SG for mia_material, and a few more ways, but none of them creats bump map.

attaching the file for people who love mysteries and problem solving:D

Ironhalo
06-19-2007, 08:28 PM
i checked out the scene file you posted, and i can make your setup work with the bump as well. i just checked 'export with shading engine' in the sg node. rendered and got the bumps to appear.

Emil3d
06-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Thank you. I realized that right after I posted but had to go and I was just comming to edit my message. It is shame for me I missed it since I already knew this fixes such problems. However this is not required for the other procedural textures and that confused me when I was trying them.

Ash-Man
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I dont have Maya infront of me

but as a hint ..there is a check box in the render settings
sometihngh along the line ... Export Shading filter
you might want to test with that as well

royter
06-27-2007, 04:29 PM
thanks alot guys.

just out of curiousity, why should "export with shading engine" be cheked on?
what is the function of that function?

floze
06-27-2007, 04:33 PM
thanks alot guys.

just out of curiousity, why should "export with shading engine" be cheked on?
what is the function of that function?
It's sort of 'enabling' maya texture (and bump) filtering in custom mental ray shader networks. A little bit magic.

coccosoids
06-27-2007, 04:51 PM
You mean that if I'm using a maya file node - I need to check "export with..." in order to
get, for example, filtering ? :)

floze
06-27-2007, 04:59 PM
You mean that if I'm using a maya file node - I need to check "export with..." in order to
get, for example, filtering ? :)
It means you need to check it if you're using the miMaterialShader slot. You could pipe your mr network through e.g. a regular maya surface shader instead and have the same effect.

coccosoids
06-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Thanks! :)

Emil3d
06-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Since we are talking these days about user experience and efficiency of using Mental Ray in Maya, for me regarding the functionality of this attribute ,it is there only to make some things like bump checker textures fail if I don’t click it. Weirdly enough the other textures don’t fail without that which makes me naturally think that it is there to dump on the shoulders of the users a problem that for what ever reason they didn’t solve with the checker texture.

Now let’s be honest who can claim that having this problem, naturally or after going through the documentation will quickly realize that the checker doesn’t work because this needs to be clicked.

This is all in the entire Maya Help about this functionality.

”Export with Shading Engine/Export with Volume Sampler
When turned on, these both insert additional helper shaders into the export stream. These shaders are required if you want to write custom shaders that cooperate with the Maya base shader package delivered with mental ray for Maya. These options are for advanced mental ray for Maya users only. “

and this

“miExportShadingEngine (mise) boolfalse
Apply the mayabase shadingengine shader required for mayabase surface shaders also to custom mental ray surface nodes.”

Yes more than an hour lost with trials and experiments internet searches, etc, More than an hour chunk of time added to the huge time pile of waste solving things like that, without getting in return anything like extended functionality, knowledge, new concepts, inspiration, creativity, etc. It a crying example of a poor mental ray experience in Maya for what could be a typical Mental Ray user.

royter
06-28-2007, 03:24 AM
couldn't agree more

daddyo
07-23-2007, 07:42 PM
If you want a good implementation of mental ray, use XSI... Alias/autodesk have done a pathetic job, compared to Softimage. There are even interface items that are obsolete, yet haven't been removed.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2007, 07:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.