PDA

View Full Version : Shake vs. Nuke

Filipo
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
What do You think guys? Which one is better?

-Filipo

scrimski
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
The other one. Always.

osxrules
06-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Shake's interface is way better, Nuke seems more responsive but by default it's set on update on release and progressive, which when you set Shake to that evens them out a bit. Nuke is supposedly more interruptible though - in other words, it won't hang up, it will just halt the calculation, you can manually halt in Shake with ESC but automatic might be more responsive. The only thing that makes me even ask that question myself is that I know Shake has some bugs and stability problems. I wouldn't even care that it is EOL if those bugs were gone. If I had to go elsewhere, it would have to be Nuke but with price being a factor, I'd likely look at Combustion. Since Shake is cheapest, really intuitive, very powerful, it seems like the best bet for the foreseeable future.

Aneks
06-13-2007, 07:05 AM
The other one. Always.

lol. absolutely agree

Both are great. One costs more but has nicer 3d. The other is super cheap and will more likely get you a job

JshuFX
07-02-2007, 07:46 PM
if your set on getting a compositing package with a robust 3d workspace than Nuke........

I like shake a little more for its ease of use.....the workspace flow of nodes seems like it works in a more common sense type of fashion.....obviously with shake not being upated anymore I think Nuke is an excellent replacement

adisan
07-03-2007, 06:18 AM
for me the most important thing is stability, i would chose the one that crashes less. price is the second thing and the choice is shake. 3d in compositing is not that important unless your pipeline depends on it, there's 3d in shake as well and you can import 3d camera move in the multiplane node. also knowing what works and what does not is important, shake has known bugs that can be worked around, i don't know about nuke. also shake's paint works. it's not compustion's paint but it get's you from a to b with no problems.

Aneks
07-06-2007, 07:29 AM
Yes Nuke's stability is a little off on the latest release. I can't help but admit it is a much faster and cleaverer ap than Shake, which is evident in it's channel handling and Linear Floating point approach. But The paint is 'crashtacular'. That said they foundry have assured users that this is a key area they are hoping to address in the next few releases as well as improving stability overall. If they could make things more stable and fix paint I would pretty much be prepared to let Shake remain ignored by Apple. Those of us who remember the Nothing Real days know that Shake matured TREMENDOUSLY over the 6 or so years it was developed. Anyone remember v2.2 ? Deke ? ...it still hurts to think about those days

After 2 days roto'ing in Nuke I am simply astounded I put myslef throiugh all that pain in shake. Hello 'undos'.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2007, 07:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.