PDA

View Full Version : Encrypting MEL Scripts. Is it possible ?

sachinb
03-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Hi, I was wondering if MEL scripts could be encrypted like MAXScripts can be encrypted to .mse files so that no one can modify or re-engineer the code. If a method exists for this process in MEL, please share with the rest of us....

Thanx in advance.... :-)

alexx
03-18-2003, 07:00 PM
nope there is none.. at least none that i would know of and to be honest i like it that way..
either you share what you have or you leave it :)

and i would not really trust an encrypted script from any place that i download..
MEL can wipe your harddisk in a second :scream:

cheers

alexx

mark_wilkins
03-19-2003, 12:22 AM
alexx: so does that mean that you'd never use a downloaded plug-in?

Writing a plug-in is the most direct way to obscure what you're doing, although while you can make a plug-in that just executes a series of MEL commands when triggered a smart person could extract your script from the DSO.

-- Mark

bentllama
03-19-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by mark_wilkins
a smart person could extract your script from the DSO.

can you explain how?

sorry, me dumm :surprised

mark_wilkins
03-19-2003, 05:26 AM
well, on a Linux or Mac system at least, there's a binary called "strings" in /usr/bin that allows you to see all of the static strings in an executable or library.

So, if the plug-in were in myPlugin.dso, you could type "strings myPlugin.dso" and see any literal strings that were used by the program.

Since one way to hide a MEL script within a plug-in would be to pass a whole bunch of MEL commands to Maya within another command (which is an easy way to do things, though not very efficient) you could see the text of this MEL script with strings.

However, if the plug-in does all the work by manipulating Maya's API classes rather than executing MEL commands, which would be a more conventional way to do things but much more time-consuming to implement, this approach wouldn't work.

-- Mark

sachinb
03-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Thanx a lot Mark, that is exactly what I was looking for. Great !

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.