PDA

View Full Version : Eye Constraint Set Up Query

modelriglightcomp
06-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Hello!

Am trying to set up a simple eye constraint (ie move a target locator, and the eyes follow). This works great when the eyes are spherical. However, the cartoony character I am working on has flattened eyes, and when I try to flatten the eyes (using a lattice), the constraint breaks. The eyes *kind of* follow the locator, but not perfectly.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a workaround? Or am I just missing something really obvious?

Thanks!

LucentDreams
06-11-2007, 06:20 PM
could try a surface constraint for the pupils so they lay on top of the flattened eye.

S-S
06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I guess you are not in 3dsmax, but if you were it would be easy.
Setup look at, then make a spacewarp FFD lattice. Then place and link eye to spacewarp. then link both to head. Moving lookat target makes your pupils follow target, and deform. Doesn't matter if eye iris is flat or bumpy. I guess you could also try animating UVs or using surface constraints like suggested already...

BigMouth
06-22-2007, 05:44 PM
could try a surface constraint for the pupils so they lay on top of the flattened eye.

surface constraint will only work on certain primitives and nurbs, not modified objects :P

I'd recommend creating an extra set of eyeballs that are directly ontop of your original set of eyeballs. This pair of eyeballs can be a primitive that is the same size/shape of your original pair. So if it's flat, just make them boxes or something.

link the pupil to a dummy object, and place the dummy ontop of the rectangle (not the eyeball). You can make the rectangle non-renderable, or just put an invisible texture on it.

select the dummy, put a surface constraint onto the rectangle.

create a new dummy, align/position align to the pupil-dummy, and push it infront of it so it's hovering infront of the eyes (this will be your eyeball controller).

rightclick on pupil-dummy, select wire parameters, choose surface constraint, V, and wire it to the floating dummy's Z position (or X, or Y, depending on how you set it up).

This should allow you to move the floating dummy while moving the pupil as it's contrainded to the surface of the rectangle (which is directly ontop of your eyeball but it's invisible).

good luc

Or.... you could just make the pupil a material and animate the UV gizmo instead. that's probably a better solution and much easier to do.

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2007, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.