PDA

View Full Version : UV's go crazy in Texture Editor when model is moved.

paranoidandroyd
06-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Hey everyone. I seem to be having a problem w/ my textures. I am new to this, so here's my process in a nutshell:

I unwrapped my model's UV's in texture editor, and moved them around for easy texturing, added my textures, attached them in the hypershade. It all looks great until I go to move the model, and then the UV's explode in the texture editor, and the color map/textures visibly go crazy on the geometry! (the geometry still deforms well).

I modeled and rigged the character in maya 8.5, and added blendshapes, which all work fine. I am new to texturing, so this could be a simple problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance! I'd love to hear back.

Bret

djx
06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Depending on how you did the uv layout you may still have construction-history affecting the uv's. Try "delete non-deformer history" (in the edit menu).

If you are using 2d textures then deleting history should be enough. But if you are using 3d textures (or projecting 2d textures) then you may want to read about using a texture reference object.

-- David

paranoidandroyd
06-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the reply! I did try deleting non-deformer history, a couple ways w/ different options. That doesn't seem to change the exploding UV's.

Also, the textures are 2D textures, not projection, so I wouldn't need a reference object. My eyeballs have seperate projections w/ reference objects, and those worked fine and continue to work fine, even w/ the new textures going all weird.

I have been working on this problem for a few days. Perhaps there is a step I am missing, involving the finalization of the UV set? or some way of converting the UV's, or securing them? I just don't see why they would be acting this way.

Thanks again for the help!

Bret

JYoung
06-12-2007, 06:59 AM
If you detach your model from the rig, delete history, then re-bind it, does it still have the same problems? I've seen files before where deleting non-deformer history doesn't fix the UV creep issues.

thematt
06-14-2007, 09:53 PM
f you detach your model from the rig, delete history, then re-bind it, does it still have the same problems? I've seen files before where deleting non-deformer history doesn't fix the UV creep issues.

yep this happen to me too and also had to delet history on a now bind model.Using the unbinded with history on works from what I remember.

cheers

paranoidandroyd
06-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Awesome, thanks for the replies! I will give it a go and see what happens. Thanks!

Bret

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2007, 12:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.