PDA

View Full Version : Outpost - VFX Challenge - Wilson3d

Wilson-3d
03-18-2003, 04:00 PM
Hi. Here is the start of my entry. Original and Sketch. Please don't hesitate to comment. Any ideas of what you would add to this or what you think I should take out or change are appreciated. This is a great time of the phase to experiment with the shapes. I had a lot of fun sketching this out!

I have had no luck when trying to post. My site is just getting up. Please copy and past the links. If you still can't view please let me know. Very Sorry. I will have to come up with a better way to share the progress.
Thanks.

Wilson-3d
03-27-2003, 03:21 PM
Well I finally have some more to share and My friend is helping me post the pics (thanks FredSpeaks). I have been working on the buildings and have not come up with any I really like yet. The cliff is camera mapped and I will post the animation test next week. The maps are holding up but I have not found a final path yet. Thanks. Comments and Crits are appreciated.

http://www.fred-speaks.com/CM/VFX_Plate_WIP.jpg

http://www.fred-speaks.com/CM/VFX_Plate_WIP2.jpg

Wilson-3d
04-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Hello. I have been working steadily on the project. At this point everything seems very much WIP but I feel right on schedule. I like the left section with the landing pad the best. I am going to add more of this across to the right with some more structures and scaffolding. Connecting the sides. The dreamcatcherish (new word) on the main building on the right is really going to change. I like the concept but hate the look right now. I was thinking Aztec sun worshipers idea. I feel I am going to do the lighting over once everything is built and textured. I just ended up with this lighting set up one night. I would love to hear suggestions on what is or probably more is not working for the lighting. This way I can have some good ideas for the final lighting. Mine seems to be looking more stylized or illustrative. This is because things are not looking as photorealistic. I need suggestions. At this point I really need some while I can still fix things. I promise I wont give everything the "I know I am going to do that" response. So here goes. Thanks a lot!

http://www.fred-speaks.com/CM/Wilson3dVFx.jpg

azazel
04-04-2003, 05:19 PM
Some suggestions:
light on the rocks seem to be coming roughly from above, and on the buildings there's strong yellow light, so they don't match each other. And assuming it's sunset, shadows should be sharp IMO - they seem like it's cloudy day now. Keep it up:wip:

Wilson-3d
04-04-2003, 07:46 PM
Hey thanks for the comments. Do you think I have made a mistake and picked a cavern that has sun coming from the top left and a sky that has it comeing from the back right? I am wondering if I should get another sky. I do like the sunset feel but I could always find another. You are right I should give the shadows do need more definition. Thanks

azazel
04-04-2003, 08:56 PM
as a start maybe flipping the background left to right might be enough?

Wilson-3d
04-04-2003, 09:06 PM
That would just be to easy...I'll give it a try.

Heaven871
04-09-2003, 03:57 PM
:thumbsup: I love your aircraft. It looks great.

But the style is so totally different from the buildings. Maybe you want that the way. But what about changing the style of the buildings to this "Bjoerk-like" white and black robot look.

Guess you don't consider that, so what I would do is attach everything and everything with cables. Let cables hang over the cliffs, plug each building together and and and...

I also had these "oilrig" like metal structures in my outpost, but they just don't look alien like. It works for your scene a little bit, but if you have a better idea, you should change it.

Where is the animation test ? :bounce:

Very nice work and style, keep it up.

Wilson-3d
04-09-2003, 07:27 PM
Hi Thanks for the reply. I am going to put up an update tomorrow. I should of today. I am getting to much done w/ out an update. I have added a lot of building and moved some things around. I actually have some buildings connected with pipes but not really a "bjoerk-like" thing. I have taken the white off all ships. I agree with you they did not match. Are you referring to the Saucer shapes or the or the ones on the left that look like oil rigs. I hope you think it works fits better in the update (I will post tomorrow) because I have already pushed this idea further. I may be able to do my animation test tonight.
Thanks for the impute!

Wilson-3d
04-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Here is my latest update. I feel the modeling is finished but I will add something if I feel it needs it. The textures are going to be along these lines but these were really thrown on. I have included two pics. Neither of them are close to finished lighting I was just experimenting. I like the mood the direction of the darker one is going. I can see it with a bunch of lights. I like the golden sun one from the last update too though. Any thoughts?
I have a 1.1meg mpeg4 file animation test that I can't get to work on my friends site. If anyone could put it up for me I would really appreciate it! Please let me know if anyone can help. Thanks! Once again I would love to hear crits and comments.

Lighter
http://www.fred-speaks.com/CM/Wilsonlight.jpg

Darker
http://www.fred-speaks.com/CM/Wilsondark.jpg

Heaven871
04-10-2003, 06:04 PM
:bounce: That's the way.
I like the darker one better. Yeah, you extended the oilrig idea, it's ok, now you can add some horizontal rigs at your landing platforms, it looks cheap beneath them.

Smoke is great, too. Maybe you want to connect the "things" on the upper left with the rest, too. Cables and pipes rule. Maybe a small transformer between them or at the base of them would be neat, too.

Hmm. What about making the picture even darker and add a lot of lights? Just an idea.

Enough babbling, you are on your way.

Wilson-3d
04-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Hey Heaven871. Thanks for the comments. They are all good. I think the transformer is a great idea. The stuff on the left does need incorporated better. The horizontals under the platforms are a good idea too. Thanks for the impute.

dark_lotus
04-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Ah yes, this is progressing really nicely!

One suggestion, I would fine some really detail images of rocks to make the rock look bigger.

Just some detail is all thats needed.

Great Stuff!

Wilson-3d
04-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the comments Dark_lotus. I will try and add some to the original texture in photoshop. Is that along the lines you were thinking?

dark_lotus
04-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Yeah, increasing the resolution may help as well

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Wilson-3d
04-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Well I am still here. It has been a little over a week but I have been working. I spent three nights making it a night scene and once finished decided I wanted more of a dusk feel. I am going to be working on the ships and animation the next few nights. The textures are lighting are 90% finished. I just have a few small changes. Crits and comments are welcome and appreciated.

http://www.fred-speaks.com/CM/VFx_wilson4.21.jpg

azazel
04-22-2003, 06:16 AM
I still suggest sharper, harder shadows... maybe even paint them onto the background, You'll have them just like You wan't.

Wilson-3d
04-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Azazel I have to hand it to you. You are right about the shadows. I kept thinking they were soft at dusk. I looked for some refereces and didn't find come up with much. Well it is 8:00 pm here (Cincinatti) and the sky has the look I am going for. Sure enough the shadows are hard. At least a lot harder then mine. I am going to render them hard and blur if I need to in A.E. Thanks for your comments!;)

Wilson-3d
04-30-2003, 09:17 PM
If I only had time to change....

http://www.fred-speaks.com/CM/VFX/vfxfinal.jpg

Outpost Movie (http://www.fred-speaks.com/CM/VFX/VFxF.mov)

Thanks Heaven 871 I did manage to get it hosted. And Thanks Fred Speaks!

Heaven871
05-01-2003, 10:04 AM
I am glad everything worked out for you.
A really nice piece of work you created. Especially the middle part buildings are very nice modelled. And the lights are cool.
Good job. :beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.