PDA

View Full Version : compositing software

Bpanting
03-18-2003, 04:24 PM
I need to look at compositing software and was wondering what people thought was the best choice for use with Maya. The ones I was considering were After Effects, Combustion, or Digital Fusion. Right now I don't know much about any of them so any comments or suggestions would be cool, thanks.

NESEL*
03-18-2003, 07:17 PM
One word......SHAKE.

LESEN*

Bpanting
03-18-2003, 07:34 PM
I checked that out quickly, but I think it's going to be out of our price range.

Hugh
03-18-2003, 08:07 PM
Definately take a look at the demos for these three products....

Personally, I'd say it's between Combustion and Digital Fusion, and, for me, if price were not an issue, Digital Fusion would get it...

In this thread (http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1675#post1675) (over at VFXTalk (http://www.vfxtalk.com)), I gave links to all the demo versions, and details of what is available in the demos in each (save, rendering, etc)

Bpanting
03-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks thats very cool. I will check it out. Right now I will only need it to put .AVI or MOV. file together and some compositing. But in the future I would like to do alot more compositing and FX type stuff.

beaker
03-18-2003, 10:02 PM
>>I checked that out quickly, but I think it's going to be out of our price range.

No idea what operating system you run, but if your on OSX then shake costs the same as Digital Fusion(5k). If your on linux or irix, then yea, it is much more expensive(10k).

dmeyer
03-19-2003, 04:42 AM
c2 is still a steal at $1K....although DF is mighty tasty as well.

As others have mentioned, grab the demo of each and see what you like.

Bpanting
03-19-2003, 02:58 PM
Has anyone used combustion with Maya? My only concern is how well they work together. I will probably gab the demo this weekend and check it out, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the two.

zorwick
03-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Hi!

One of my mate played with those softwares. The maya RPF did not worked, but the maya .iff is ok. Max rpf is ok in C2.
The .rla also ok but only one thing, the z is inside out like the Max .rla.
To work with z-buffer i think the Shake the best.
We tryed a lot of demos and we are going to max/maya -> Combustion way. This is not the best but nothing perfect.
After Fx is fine for screen animations. Especially i hate those little "1 pixel' buttons:)

So you have to count, depend from you jobs.

1armedScissor
03-19-2003, 10:33 PM
maya + C2

check out highend3d.com or search these forums for the link, but there is a Mel script called MtoC (maya to combustion I believe) and it allows you to export your camera moves from maya and import them into combustion. Really handy! Check it out.

dg
03-20-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi,

Choosing a compositing app is tuff man, I would go for DF if price is not a issue for you. They all have their strong and weak points.
If you plan or you already use MacOs or Linux go for Shake, but if you still needs a Win platform, shake is already dead for windows so it's a bad choice (damn Apple).

AE has a bad reputation, but in fact is very good compositor, he does some things that even DF or Combustion don't do, and vice versa. You have to grab the one thats best fits your needs.

I have tested them all, and for me AE solves 70% of my composition stuff very fine, the only things that really sux in AE are the tracker and keying (but keying can be solved with some plugins).

DF and Shake have a nodal aproach which is very cool, both have some great keying capabilities, and their tracking are very good, support for plugins they both have some but this is a realm holded by AE (at least I think). They are also very fast.

Combustion has a kick ass tracker and keying capabilities, has a awesome particle system, also have support for some AE plugs, and no script capabilities. Also has a good integration with discreet products.

AE has a very extensive list of plugins avaliable, workflow very similar to PS, very good integration with Adobe Products and some script capabilities.

Of course this is just a quick overall of these products, try to grab their demos and try for you self, i think is the best way to go.

I don't want to create controversy about any soft in here, please don't get me wrong please :)
This is just my brief opnion, sorry if I hurt some DF, C2, AE or Shake user in here.

Inferno, Flame and Nuke are also good options if money isn't a problem for you :)

See Ya!:thumbsup:

seb4d
03-20-2003, 12:16 PM
I agree with diogo girondi.
But I want to add that DF also has an incredible particle system with powerful fields !

Bpanting
03-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Thaks that helps alot, I guess I will grab the rest of the demos and sit down and see what one works best for our needs. My biggest concern was what would work best with maya.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.