PDA

View Full Version : Best network rendering tool

uschi
03-18-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi there,

i just want 2 know, which is the best network rendering tool for maya 4.5 maya and mental ray render rengine (2render - mulitple cameras with different frame counts)

stunndman
03-18-2003, 04:09 PM
what are your needs ? basically you can do that all by hand

there's smedge, muster, renderpal (not networked AFAIK)

alexx
03-18-2003, 08:21 PM
just to mention:
mental ray need a seperate standalone license on every render-machine....

muster always worked fine for me (www.vvertex.com)

cheers

alexx

stunndman
03-18-2003, 08:53 PM
mental ray need a seperate standalone license on every render-machine....

or two installations of maya 4.5

muster always worked fine for me (www.vvertex.com)

yeah, it works - but basically its crap - all it can do for you is launch a remote process - it can't even kill the mental-ray process or parse its rendering progress status

beaker
03-18-2003, 09:58 PM
I prefer RUSH for all my network rendering. It is very customizable and you can script it to render with any renderer that has command line abilities(maya, prman, shake, MR, houdini, etc...).
http://seriss.com/rush/

alexx
03-18-2003, 10:10 PM
hey.. thanx for that link.. looks really good.. but.. hmm.. quite expensive.. lets see if i can talk about that with my boss :)

uschi
03-19-2003, 12:45 AM
is it possible with one of this tool to dispatch different start and end points for more than one camera...

i used muster and it always sucks to have move cams in one scene (or render setup) i like to write batches but not for 10 or more machines...

is there any tool or good work around ???

thnx

beaker
03-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by uschi
is it possible with one of this tool to dispatch different start and end points for more than one camera...
thnx
Just start more than one render of the same scene. I've never used munster, but from looking at the online manual on their site there is an option called "Render Override" in the submit window where you could pick a camera override.

matty429
03-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Maya NetRender (http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tools/?section=NT#2023)

Its Free!!!!

McMaster
03-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Maya NetRender seems to me like it dosn't work with mental at all! In a sequence all slaves start to render the first frame over and over again, when one is finished, it saves the pic and the next will overwrite it again. Or am I doing something completely wrong?

lricho
03-11-2004, 01:29 AM
Check out smedge. Its really quite nice. You just start it up on any machine you want to render on, and any of those machines can submit jobs. You can set render priorities for each machine, tell it to use 1,2 or more processors (if you have hyperthreading), get it to send emails on job completions, etc. I havent actually done too much network rendering myself, but from what I've seen of smedge, its really robust.

bluemagicuk
03-11-2004, 02:27 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118053

netscale was my favourite (http://www.rendercorp.com/)

Overlord
04-30-2004, 02:11 AM
my fav is renderpal 2004... finally supports networking
http://www.renderpal.com

fahr
05-05-2004, 07:30 PM
I've been wondering if a free utility existed that allowed you network distribute and render maya batch scripts that are created manually?

Basically just dump a bunch of bat files into the queue and have it distribute them across the farm.

My network is small, so I dont need anything really any more advanced than that. Error checking would be nice, but i dont really see how it would know how to check on what it sees as nothing more than a bat file.

Many of the scriptable render managers (smedge, muster) look like they can do this, but I'm thinking free here... ;)

Thanks!

beaker
05-05-2004, 07:41 PM
look on highend3d.com there are a bunch of free ones.

fahr
05-05-2004, 10:48 PM
I've looked on Highend and all I could find were programs that could automate the making of batch scripts, but no network ditributing tools for them. I was prolly just looking in the wrong place...

However, I believe I have found what I need. Spider from Station X is free, powerful, and can be made to work with any command line renderer. Just did some initial tests with it and it's working beautifully. There is even a free Maya script avaialble which lets you create a render job straight out of Maya. Even works with Mental Ray. Doesn't look like Maya 6 support is there yet, but people are working on that, I believe, and in the meantime, you can just manually make batch scripts and have spider render those. Me happy. :)

I always stayed away from it because I kept hearing it didnt work with winxp, wouldnt install, etc. I've experienced no install problems and I've already been using UNC paths since the dawn of time, so no problem there either. Incredible app! Woohoo!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.