PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Challenge 2 : Facial Rig

twidup
06-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, the next rigging challenge will be beginning very soon. I think we are going to only do a 30 day challenge this time.
Rigs MUST be completed to be in the voting.

The model will be posted as soon as I can get it from the modeler (ie, when he gives it to me)

-todd

zsjasper
06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Great:bounce:, Cant waitting for that:)

wamo
06-11-2007, 02:03 PM
hi guys,i 'm gonna join to the challenge
and i think it's an spacial chalange for me
cann't expecting for that

deatheater4ever
06-12-2007, 08:23 AM
Fantastic !

Man I,ve been waiting so long for rigging challenge 2 to start off ......

Thank you O Great Forum Leader ,for listning to the pleas of us rigging devotees

twidup
06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
lol

I just wait for the model. .... emailing him right now

Tripple-I
06-13-2007, 12:48 AM
im IN, just finished a biped, working on a flea (sextaped??), and now can also work on a facial rig. enough to keep my ADD happy! :bounce:

Neomax
06-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Get it soooooooooon !!

Michaelws
06-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Can non competitors view the rigs? I am trying to learn facial rigging in max but have so little time. I would be more than interested to be able to see the different approaches.

Thanks for the consideration.

Cdterney
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm in, any idea if this is going to be a hyper-real style character or toony style?

twidup
06-15-2007, 09:06 PM
the one he showed me the other day was leaning more towards hyper real

Neomax
06-17-2007, 07:38 AM
I'm still waiting.

GreenArrow
06-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Sounds interesting, hope it arrives soon!

instruct9r
06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
what type will be the face (human, creature, animal, etc)??

carlopezzi
06-18-2007, 03:48 PM
I hope we will be able to start soon, I can't wait :thumbsup:

coldfuse[ofX]
06-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Will we be given models to rigg? I am well up for this, though i am a newbie when it comes to this stuff. Been looking into this actually so a good kick start, even if i dont finish, at least i can give it ago.

mattwaterhouse
06-19-2007, 03:45 AM
I'm in the same boat as coldfuse[ofX] - I've discovered recently that I really enjoy rigging, but I haven't done a complex facial rig yet. I'm really looking forward to at least experimenting, even though I'll get waxed in the voting. *grin*

deatheater4ever
06-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Why can't we divide this challenge into 2 Sections

Section 1 -- For professional working guys who have limited time to spare and therefore work only one 1 model.

Section 2 -- For students who are still learning and want to work on as many diffrent models as possible to improve their work.

Its hard to get modellers who will wilingly give their models for competitions like this ,after all its their work. But coudnt we ask the Hardcore Modelling Challenge guys to donate their models for our challenge.

So that we can have-----

Section 1 --- Rig 1 model in 30 days
( for working guys who have little time to spare )

WHAT SAY YOU??

Section 2 --- Rig 3 or 5 models in 30 days
( for students who have ample time 2 spare )

twidup
06-19-2007, 10:00 PM
well, there are going to be some new rules, and there wil probably be 2 sections as well. but that will all be unveiled soon.

-todd

Slimz
06-20-2007, 06:17 AM
I want in on this challenge, any word on the model ?

twidup
06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I have 3 different friends working on different ones. its basically who ever gets me one first.
If I had time this week, I would model it, but I dont unfortunately. but one of them will get me one by the end of the weekend.

I also talked to Roberto and he was going to check with some of the HCM challenge people and see if any of them had a model they were willing to donate

-todd

pooby
06-20-2007, 10:42 PM
What do you want? Just head and shoulders? Stylised?

mttjss
06-21-2007, 01:00 AM
curious about this challenge as well.

What about displacements and bump maps if it is a HC rigging challenge? Will we be adding our own or just facial rigs with controls and joints?

Look forward to jumping in and seeing where I stand.

Matt -

SpaceTik
06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
What kind of models do you need? if any1 needs a model you can have mine.. I can't animate and a noob modeler.. but would love to see my models animated! :)

edit: I dont have any detailed face model.. just realised thats what you needed.

deatheater4ever
06-22-2007, 06:10 AM
Hey SpaceTik,

Even if you dont have a detailed head model that's okay . Any cartoon head model would also do. Of course right now our forum leader already has his sources planned so your models could be used later on

instruct9r
06-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Hey SpaceTik,

Even if you dont have a detailed head model that's okay . Any cartoon head model would also do. Of course right now our forum leader already has his sources planned so your models could be used later on

You can't make good rig on head that don't have good edgeFlow and proper topology... it's not just to have a head....

Slimz
06-23-2007, 04:41 AM
Correct.

A well built head allows for much better deformations. and also stops a rigger from pulling his hair out and wanting to knock the modeler the hell out .

Wow, i feel like a crack head needing a fix..... want to rig something so badly ....

he10
06-23-2007, 10:57 AM
i wanna get my hands down and dirty with rigging i think this is the best place to start with.

deatheater4ever
06-23-2007, 11:37 AM
You can't make good rig on head that don't have good edgeFlow and proper topology... it's not just to have a head....

Hey man take it easy man, i was just talking about toon heads man,Okay Okay i learnt my lesson . Sorry teacher ,i'll do lines ,lots of lines....

Good rigs can't be made on heads that don't have good edge flow and proper topology
Good rigs can't be made on heads that don't have good edge flow and proper topology
....................... to be cont'd in the Rigging Challenge 3.

instruct9r
06-23-2007, 12:22 PM
hah... why you making it big deal :curious: .... i'm just trying to tell that you can't just get a model and rely on the rigger to make it look good... the modeler also have to know how to do it right....

huh.. whatever..
\

twidup
06-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Ok, good news ;)

I just got the head from the modeler, Alessandro Bonora from Framestore , http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2136551/

As I am totally slammed today with work and prior engagements, I will be writing up and posting the rigging challenge tomorrow.

Just a small heads up, this challenge will only be for 30 days, ending late July. There will not be a challenge after this one till late August, because of Siggraph

-todd

Tripple-I
06-23-2007, 07:20 PM
workin on saturdays too, huh? me too. Im at least glad that we can fit in this challenge BEFORE siggraph, i could use some good head for my new reel.
looking forward too it!!
ps. todd take a break man

coldfuse[ofX]
06-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Sweeet. I have been waiting on this patiently. I may be a little behind like 2 weeks of the 30 days due to work and holidays but hopefully i can really tackle this. I need to basicially.

Thanks for the effort guys.

carlopezzi
06-23-2007, 08:04 PM
30 days of rigging and fun ,very cool .

twidup
06-23-2007, 11:58 PM
lol wish I could take a break. most of my team at work are thinking we are going to 6 day weeks soon, so between that, teaching the cgtalk workshop class right now and trying to prep a masterclass, I have no time ;(

if I did, I would probably be participating in the next challenge actually ;)

anyways, I will get it posted in the morning.

As for the previous challenge, I can not in good faith post a voting for a winner as we only had 2 people complete rigs.

anyways, tomorrow by noon london time ;)

cheers
-todd

mattwaterhouse
06-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Fantastic. I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into this.

coldfuse[ofX]
06-24-2007, 02:22 AM
Nice one, this will be a good lesson, and i really can't wait. Hopefully more then 2 rigs finished, even if they are not that great, such as myself being a newbie to it, least people will have the chance to vote lol.

xenoid
06-24-2007, 03:22 AM
Yeah I'm one of those guilty of not finishing the rig in the last challenge. :blush: Sorry Todd!

Looking at the response now, and the subject of the upcoming challenge, it feels like it's really gonna be exciting!

Looking forward to it... AND FINISH THE RIG... come up with something new.... and learning from all you guys out there...

Hey Todd, has the issue with old posts getting obsolete by the forum been resolved yet? I was thinking if there are good techniques shown here, it will be nice to still be around for people to look at them in the future.

pooby
06-24-2007, 06:30 PM
I just spent half an hour sticking the face on my old curve rig (just to see how it worked)
I guess this is against the rules.
Still, it was a good excercise and works suprisingly well considering its nothing like the original face the rig was designed for and I hardly did any weighting.

I wont have time to re-construct a rig like this from scratch, as I'm too busy doing other work, but I'm very interesting in watching how others tackle this face rig challenge.

heres the link

http://s4.quicksharing.com/v/5388498/newface01.rar.html (http://s4.quicksharing.com/v/5388498/newface01.rar.html)

twidup
06-24-2007, 07:03 PM
actually the old threads are still there, there is a button at the bottom, under the show threads area that will show all the old threads. I wish there was a way I could change this so we cna always see them, but I dont think thats in it can.

coldfuse[ofX]
06-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Ok i just got completely confused there. I have notice that the page i kep checking actually wasnt the page where the head was going to be. Are you telling me it has been ready to use since the 24th? MANN, ive been checking this page to see what was happening, i could have really had time to get my teeth into this, but i can't as im going away tomorrow. FIDDLE STICKS

Can i als just say this is an awesome model. Man this will be so fun to rig!

carlopezzi
06-24-2007, 09:58 PM
when i import the obj in maya it says that he has to group everything and after the eyes are combine with the head .
do you have maybe a file with just the head without everything else or maybe someone knows how to import in maya with everything separate.

carlopezzi
06-24-2007, 10:21 PM
i solve the problem .

nothing happen and everything it s ok, i can start rigging.

twidup
06-25-2007, 12:10 AM
I am going to close this thread so there is no confusion anymore, so any post, send tot eh other thread.