PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray Antialiasing broken???

sixbysixx
06-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Hi,

In many of my scenes (partly on OSX, partly x64 all in Maya 8.5) it feels like all I ever get is a Box 1-1 filter. It doesn't matter if I change to Gauss 3-3 or whatever - the renders look exactly the same (sharp edges with too much aliasing - I want Gauss 3-3)

Did anybody else experience something like this? Is it a bug, or is there something I might be missing?

Thanks for any hints - Christoph :o)

MrWeeeee
06-09-2007, 08:15 PM
When you are rendering what are your anti-aliasing samples set to? I've noticed that when I render say ... -2, 0 and I change the filter settings from Box to something else I dont notice the results but once I up the samples and change the filter it shows up correctly. Other than that I'm not sure. :shrug:

-Bryant

sixbysixx
06-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My settings are high enough that you should see a difference I think:
0, 2 for the sampling and 0.05 or lower for the threshold...

And the edges I see are so sharp, that a gauss 3-3 should really have a clearly visible softening effect - but it has no effect whatsoever:sad:

sixbysixx
06-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Bumperle - am still struggling and couldn't figure it out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated:shrug:

coccosoids
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
in these cases it helps posting an example scene file - it may be that your setup is
somewhat "kaput". Have you tried it on a clean file?

sixbysixx
06-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Alright - I was hoping that SP1 would sort the problem, but no.
Did a few more tests and am also sending things to Autodesk, but often this forum is more helpful than Autodesk....

I had a big scene, that displayed the problem. I kicked evrything out and created a cube, a camera and a spot light and rendered it with high antialiasing settings: still jaggies.

Then I exported the camera, the cube and the spotlight separately and imported them into a fresh scene - now the problem is gone.

The thing is that I get this problem a lot with all sorts of scenes and can't afford to always exort every single object into a new scene - so this is not really an option as a workaround.

Here are the two scenes I was talking about.

Do they display the same errors for you?

Any idea what might be the cause?

Thanks a million!

rBrady
11-07-2007, 11:36 PM
I know this is a bit late but I finally figured out the same issue. You have to delete your miglobals and any custom frame buffers you might have. I do this my turning dag-objects-only off in the outliner. Then you can scroll down near the bottom and find it. This issue was killing me too.

jupiterjazz
11-08-2007, 07:09 AM
I know this is a bit late but I finally figured out the same issue. You have to delete your miglobals and any custom frame buffers you might have. I do this my turning dag-objects-only off in the outliner. Then you can scroll down near the bottom and find it. This issue was killing me too.

ahhh, good old mayatomr...

sixbysixx
11-08-2007, 01:34 PM

Haven't run into this issue recently (thank god!), but interesting to hear how to solve it, cause it was driving me nuts at the time!
So does MR automatically create some new miGlobals at rendertme or are they not essential to be in every scene?

Thanks for the update!!!

rBrady
11-14-2007, 12:06 AM
The miglobals are recreated the next time you fire up mental ray. This means every mental ray setting goes back to default. It wont effect your shaders or tesselation nodes though.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2007, 12:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.