PDA

View Full Version : sword, pole, weapon, tool handling

kiko
03-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

Let's say I wanted to rig a Monkey/Son Goku-like character with his twirling pole/long axe wrecking havoc among them evil baddies.

Can anybody suggest techniques/tutorials covering how to efficiently rig a character's tool so that it will be able to hold it with one/both hands , holster/unholster, control the tools rotation so that it will describe nice and smooth arcs (a combination of FK-IK?)

I've tried my hand at this, can always come up with a workaround or patch that will get the job done (with a lot of fiddlint), but I want to know how other people have come to different solutions for this issue.

In short, looking for the tool-handling-setup holy grail.

Thanks

Kiko

Hugh
03-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Straight off the top of my head, I'd have two locators parented to the pole for each hand (taking into account the two different ways that each hand can grip the pole) and have a constraint between your IK effector and these points....

If you attached the pole, say, to the hands, you may miss out on the sense of the weight of the pole causing it to take a smoother motion... On the other hand, you do want the pole to be controlled by the hands....

Some way of fading (you can tell I'm an editor ;)) between the two controls (hands controlled by pole, and pole controlled by hands) would give you good control...

Of course, I've not tried to do this (would be a cool idea, though), so I don't know how practical my ideas are.....

kiko
03-21-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks

Your suggestion is similar to what I'm using in Max with a link constrain between the pole and both hands, not very elegant, I might try using transtlation constraints which are esasier to key and fade over time.

Hands controlling the weapon, weapon controlling the hands?
That's quite the conundrum indeed.

Then there's the problem of matching the hands to the rotation of the pole.

I guess for the moment is all down to a lot of tweaking, maybe I need to look into getting serious with the built in scripting (mel or maxscript) if I want an automated solution.

Cheers

Kiko

Doogie
03-22-2003, 06:59 AM
it's probably best to key the rotation of the hands and pole separately anyway because they are different as the pole rolls across the hands in a lot of movements.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.