PDA

View Full Version : Outpost - VFX Challenge - CourtJester

CourtJester
03-18-2003, 11:22 AM
fashionably late again...

here's hoping this one doesn't get interrupted like before -- unless I actually get hired!

After an evening of looking for a backplate that resulted in a decent composition, I settled on this one:

http://www.altyna.com/examples/outpost_bg.jpg

The idea, is that the main experiment is a geological one. The scientific staff reside in temporary pods drilled into the sides of the cliffs. The spacefield is on the high ledge on the far side of the canyon (there will be ships parked up there) while the central complex overlooks the river and the main dig. One ship will be departing the scene, flying towards and over the camera.

I've got some tricks in mind to pull the foreground out of the background sufficient to do a slight camera truck right to reveal the big dig. If that works enough, I may forgo the flyover for activity on the ground.

http://www.altyna.com/examples/outpost_ds.jpg

Nando3D
03-18-2003, 11:27 AM
looking very promising, I like the layout of the aliens....

nando

:zepedro:
03-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Hello
I like the layout of the outpost, and yes, itīs a great idea to pull the camera to right and reveal the big dig. :applause:
Good backplate.

:zepedro:
My thread on Outpost - VFX Challenge (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50180)

CourtJester
03-19-2003, 10:17 PM
thanks dudes.

My main challenge now is design (not my strong suit, sadly). Anybody who knows of good reference for alien architecture, let me know. I'd like to try to make the design strong enough to make the "aliens on Earth" concept really jump out at the viewer. I have a rather strong fixedness on "near-future" science fiction (like my recent Q35 Jumpjet "Lego" ship) and need some help to get a look that instantly says "alien".

Hellwolve
03-19-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by CourtJester
thanks dudes.

My main challenge now is design (not my strong suit, sadly). Anybody who knows of good reference for alien architecture, let me know. I'd like to try to make the design strong enough to make the "aliens on Earth" concept really jump out at the viewer. I have a rather strong fixedness on "near-future" science fiction (like my recent Q35 Jumpjet "Lego" ship) and need some help to get a look that instantly says "alien".

One sugestion I have for you: go for organic alien architecture. That would be very "alienating". But I'm sorry to say that I don't have any references on that. Will look though, just not now :p

Pose
03-19-2003, 10:48 PM
This is looking very good, you are a brave man to include water in your scene. That's something that I don't think I can pull off yet. I have some of the same questions about alien architecture that you have. I really like what you have sketched out so far. I was thinking about using spheres as well but I was having trouble with lighting and materials.

I think for all of our projects we sort of need to decide what kind of aliens we are depicting, what's the mentality. Do they build around natural features or do they tear down and destroy to build up their outpost? Do they build lightly out of natural materials or is their construction heavy and industrial. At least these are some of the things that I've considered. Once you have that idea you can go looking for images that compliment those ideas.

CourtJester
03-20-2003, 01:28 AM
That's an excellent idea, Pose, I should do that. Your idea dovetailed with an idea I just had for source reference material: Dune: Emperor.

For that game, we did just as you described; we sketched out the basic orientation of the race in relation to the environment.

The Harkonnens were brutal/industrial, simply destroying what does not fit or is in the way.

The Ordos were a kind of cool, icy cybernetic race, emphasizing high-tech and stealth.

The Atreides were a sort of enviro-friendly, noble group, that worked with nature instead of against it.

I'm thinking of using the Ordos model as it leans in the organic direction... but I need to rifle through my backup CD's and see what I was able to save...

I also plan to do more construction on the rocks above the main complex, as I don't think I'm doing enough so far. I also want to do something really big in the central area over the dig. The rules did not state that we have to hide from humans... this might be 100,000 years ago.

LightFreeze
03-20-2003, 02:09 AM
There is some amazing artwork at this site, Im guessing you know of it but just in case get inspired here (http://www.rama3d.com/guests.htm)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.