PDA

View Full Version : Cinema4d and Mac OS X Leopard

designbytes
06-08-2007, 03:51 PM
about to start a part-time year-long C4D project and trying to envision disruptive technology winds that could come blowing during year.....

I'm a MacIntel person and keep my C4D and OS at the latest and greatest. With Leopard coming and talks/rumors of "core animation" and zfs file systems, etc., I was wondering if folks could "speculate" (NDA aside!) whether Leopard is going to have major impacts on the current C4D environment or being requiring new version of C4d, etc

I'd hate to be part way into the project and have to do any major changes...

thx in advance

Paul

Simon Wicker
06-08-2007, 04:10 PM
so far maxon have never had to create new versions of cinema according to the new os X, all they have ever had to do is to keep up with changes of architecture (i.e. the change from PPC to universal intel/PPC required a change of compiler from codewarrior to xcode).

however you would be mad to change from tiger to leopard in the middle of a year long job - at the beginning you would fix both your versions of cinema and the os and not change them during the project (otherwise you are just asking for trouble).

the only way to get around this would be to have two systems running, one your original and one you keep up to date and you could then theoretically migrate from one to the other if you encountered no problems and could revert to the original system in case of problems.

one big no-no would be if maxon release an update to cinema that had a different file format. in this case you should not update mid-job ever (as you can never go back i.e. from R11 to R10).
cheers, simon w.

Srek
06-08-2007, 05:50 PM
First thing, i agree completely with Simon. Don't change the working environment during a job unless there is a compelling reason to do so.
As for OS X 10.5, Apple has scheduled 64 bit support for this version of OS X and when CINEMA 4D becomes able to use this chances are that not all plugins will work if you want to make use of this (identical situation like with Windows 32/64 bit).

Cheers
Björn

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2007, 05:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.