PDA

View Full Version : Different methods of character rigging for walk

gudbjargarson
06-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Hello.

I'm now to Maya and 3d so this may be a stupid question:

I'm wondering on how is the suggested method of realistic character walk. I know that I can use keyframes in Maya and do the walk but it is pretty hard to get realistic walks and as the program (and other programs) seems so sophisticated I'm thinking that a more automatic methods of realistic walk rigs must be easy to setup.
So the question is what is the recommended (easyest/quickes) to setup a walk rig for a character. Is it best to do it from scratch in Maya with keyframes or use MEL, external software etc?

Any info would be appreciated.

HelioAraujo
06-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi Johann,

An intersting way to rig that, IMHO, helps doing character walks is taught in the book "The Art Of Rigging vol. I". The authors show in the first chapter how to rig a leg that has: no flip knee, IK/FK switch and group based foot. An interesting tutorial on walk cycles is the one provided by Keith Lango on his video training service. I can say I really learnt to do a basic walking cycle after I watched that one.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

anthonymcgrath
06-19-2007, 09:45 AM
Hello.

I'm now to Maya and 3d so this may be a stupid question:

I'm wondering on how is the suggested method of realistic character walk. I know that I can use keyframes in Maya and do the walk but it is pretty hard to get realistic walks and as the program (and other programs) seems so sophisticated I'm thinking that a more automatic methods of realistic walk rigs must be easy to setup.
So the question is what is the recommended (easyest/quickes) to setup a walk rig for a character. Is it best to do it from scratch in Maya with keyframes or use MEL, external software etc?

Any info would be appreciated.

thats the classic "why wont maya just do it all for me" post lol. A characters feet can be rigged up as simplistically as you like or you can use SDK's to control the toe/heel/ball rotation as the characters foot moves along the floor.
getting a good walk cycle involves lots of observation and attempts. I've done walk cycles recently that I'm quite pleased with but a year from now I'll cringe just like I'm doing about the ones I did a year ago lol!
the reverse ik foot method is a commonly used one then you set up controls under a main foot ctrl curve (commonly placed at the back of the characters foot on the floor) to allow heel rotation and toe rotation. Theres heaps of clever tricks but tbh the simpler tricks are often the best. At the end of the day its alot quicker to adjust a few keyframes on a couple of joints than faff on trying to work your way around your 'master foot setup' that you find inhibits you two weeks into the animation!

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2007, 09:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.