PDA

View Full Version : Distant artillery fire

Kinten
06-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I'm working on an animation short featuring a stereotype combat zone with some ruins in the foreground and fierce fighting going on in the background. Every now and then the horizon should light up from distant artillery fire, but I'm not quite sure how I will pull that off. I'm thinking of maybe using an animated backdrop texture, but it doesn't seem that effective and it takes a lot of tweaking to get it right. Maybe if there's a way of keyframing materials, but I've never done that before and I couldn't find any proper topics on it.
I'm using Max.

Any suggestions?

Cheers!

/Kinten

sdyer23
06-08-2007, 01:17 PM
Kinten,

I'm curious about your scene. Are you trying to animate the actual explosions in the background, or just the impressions that there are explosions going on in the background?

If you are doing the latter, I think you might be able to pull that off by using flashing lights of oranges and yellows instead of using a texture. I'm not quite sure the exact effect you want to pull off though. Perhaps some clarifications and/or screenshots might help?

Other than that, I think this method might be easier to do if you aren't used to animating textures.

Oh, if you were to use a texture, what kind of texture would you be using?

-Tux

Kinten
06-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for replying!

What I'm trying to do is the latter, and flashing lights might do the trick.
Since I rarely use animated textures I'm not sure which way to go, I might have used just a plain avi. Then again I'm out on thin ice here, video files might be a big no no, never tried'em before :)

The video is meant to be used in a game, so I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to post, but I can show you some screens of my test renders once I've tried a couple of alternatives.

sdyer23
06-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Kinten,

Haha, if you can't post the actual screenshots that's perfectly fine. :-P

Lighting might be the way to go though as it will keep your file sizes small and it might look a bit cleaner as well. as for the types of lights, you might want to try volumetric lighting and perhaps create half dome areas of lflashing lights and such to simulate the explosions. If you want to give the illusion of dust being thrown up into the are, you might want to animate some lighting fog or a noise texture within the light to give that effect.

Really up to you on how to do it, and the amount of detail you want to get into, but that's just stuff off the top of my head.

I hope this helps, let us know how it works out :)

-Tux

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2007, 03:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.