PDA

View Full Version : parent joints to controls problem

bendingiscool
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone knows why when I try and parent joints to controls (usually just circular curves or cubes) the bone disappears and I just have the actual ball joint part left, which is no use as it is no longer part of the skeleton, thanks in advance for any help.
chris

BoostAbuse
06-07-2007, 09:23 PM
if there is transforms on the control object then the joint will inherit the transforms of that object (parent/child relationship). The reason the joint detaches itself is because it is no longer part of that joint hierarchy relationship. If you want the control to be the 'master' of the joint then you should use the shape parenting method (parents the control shape to the joint so that the iconic display of the control actually represents the corresponding joint) or use constraints to attach the controls to the joints. Of course, this is a Maya centric approach by my description.

-s

bendingiscool
06-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply!! If I sound like a complete newbie I apologise in advance lol, but what would be the best way to do as you had mentioned (either/both methods) of shape parenting or constraints????

Many many many thanks!!

Chris

ErikSvensson
06-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey :)

Use constrains. Just make your bone setup for say a character, then add controllers to each part, then add orient / translate / parent constraint depending on what it does. You never animate the bones themselves so constraining them to controllers makes things easy to work with. :)

Erik

bendingiscool
06-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks Erik, I am starting to get the idea for this method of rigging it's very interesting.
Cheers again
Chris

ErikSvensson
06-08-2007, 08:27 PM
No problem man! :) Keep the questions going if you have more. I'll happily help out as much as possible:thumbsup:

Erik

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2007, 08:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.